A little issue I have with AO/WoM

Personally this topic is just me bitching but I still I think it’s somewhat justified. Few days ago I seen a topic asking players what they hate most about the game, didn’t have an answer then. Community? Pretty good, especially on the forum. Gameplay? Still pretty good. Music, sounds in general, setting, lore, all really good. Just about everything (aside from the annoying aim bot NPCs and walking) is just unhateable to me but there is one core aspect of the game I wish was different and that is versatility.

Right now you can be the most versatile person in the world. Your literal only limit is what magic you choose but aside from that you can have any combination you want at your disposal. In seconds you can switch from a tanky mage to a glass cannon melee-focuses build, on a whim you can change just about any aspect of your character aside from your magic. Why should I bother making other files then? From what I can tell solely for a change in magic, as well as personal reasons like wanting a female character, doing a challenge, or something of the sort.

I believe we as players should not be able to be as versatile as we are and this versatility should be earned and that’s one thing I’m excited about in the fighting update, you will have to choose between Fighting Styles or Magic. This is not an option you can take back (aside from when the max level is raised again) and gives players a reason to make a new file. It adds specialization and I love that.

A counter argument could be “well you can just choose to specialize in things now like having a file only dedicated to fishing and nothing else” and while yes that is true I believe specializations should be rewarded. I believe in the approach that you can be good at everything but not a master at everything while for the most part in AO/WoM you can be a master at just about everything depending entirely on your gear, which you can change on a whim, so you sacrifice nothing except for maybe the time and resources it took to get that gear.

Personally I would love for players to be given the option to choose what they want to specialize in and what they don’t so they can focus on what they want to do. I have somewhat of a solution for this very thing but that requires some changing in some aspects, like balancing. I still do want gear to remain a part of your build to help further you min-maxing it. I want gear to be the frosting and not the cake.

This is just my personal opinion and haven’t considered the implications that the average player may or may not want this. This is just what I would want to be added, ideally, in WoM/AO. I haven’t considered the implications or size of this, hence why I’m not flat out suggesting “add specialization” and for the most part just stating the issue I have with the game which is the lack of it.

Thanks for reading, have a cookie :cookie:
You may only have the cookie if you read this, I’m watching you cookie thieves…

2 Likes

hope this isn’t a word wall

So revamping professions?

Basically ig. I keep forgetting professions will be added in the future, I suppose I just want them sooner. They seem more distant to me than primordial magics.

So from what i’ve gathered, the tl;dr is that everyone has a homogenous set-up/playstyle and the only thing setting apart characters right now is your magic and gear, and gear can be changed. This means there’s no point to having other files.

You’re right, but that’s WoM.

AO will fix this with Fighting styles/Medals (which we don’t have much info on)/Lost spells (debatable, but you will need another scroll if you choose to forget it)/ Magic and strength levels which will all give characters something special.

That sounds like the medal system vetex is planning on.

1 Like

I don’t think it should be permanent. However, it should become harder to switch the higher your level is. If you are level 50-ish, you can completely switch your specialization in under an hour. However, once you get to level 500, it would take hours of grinding to switch.

I don’t like permanent things, but that’s just me.

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.