Arcane Odyssey v1.13 Balancing Changes WIP

after using the ungodly AoE of magma, trying to hit a fireball reminds me of my serious aiming issue
is it just a matter of using it until i can actually hit it against someone who isn’t standing still

Try using 1x size magic and hitting all 3 ice smugglers. It’s worse with lag.

True, it is an interesting mechanic but not much of a ‘buff’ when we look merely at the numbers. I do think we must be careful regarding how to apply this ‘charged’ effect. We all know how ridiculous Crystal is exactly due to it’s funky effect.

Regardless, I do agree that 0,825 is a bit too low.

The damage buff was DEFINITELY necessary for conjurers. but I feel like they may be over-nerfing size, specifically for the classes that don’t abuse it as much as mages do. Not only they’re taking out the inherent size buff (which might be fine imo, since other classes are also having it removed, right?), but they’re also HALVING the effectiveness of size scaling. I totally get why size is getting an across the board nerf, but i’m a bit worried they might be overdoing things for Conjurers and focusing too much on classes that don’t abuse AoE nearly as much as mages.

With that said, I feel like the nerfs mages are getting will definitely go a LONG way to make them less OP. Especially the nerfs to Mode, Pulsar and Explosions (which were honestly, the main culprits here).

I… I’m not going to lie, this change sounds really… weird. Maybe a Typo? they copied and pasted the topics to save time and forgot to change ‘horizontal’ to ‘vertical’ on the last part?

This part kinda affects pretty much everything, no? I do get that changing to additive would have a bigger effect on heavy magics though.

The main culprits on this specific case are a handful of weapons like greatsword with mountain wind, katanas with the slash and double swords with the mirror slash.

IMO they should nerf the direct culprits instead of just going for the throat and nerfing Conjurer’s AOE as a whole.

Even though Snow is apparently considered to be the less powerful among both, with ice being preferred by the player base due to better synergies (including freeze synergy). I’m not saying I think Snow is trash though. Imo is still a solid magic, although a bit underrated. I just feel that it’s weird that between ice and snow, the one that is getting buffed is the one that is considered to be stronger among them.

Also… ahem Glass continues being as pathetic as always ahem

Welcome to my world… Glass Conjurer :upside_down_face:
Okay… it’s 1.1x but it’s still really small. Also, just for clarification, I’m talking only about using JUST magic. I do agree that imbuement size can get a bit too crazy. Not enough to warrant a DOUBLE nerf though.

the difference between magma with a bunch of size boosts (calvus stuff and also shark shape) being able to hit someone despite them being like ten feet away and fire (normal shape, but still calvus boosts) straight up humbles me

like “man, that was RIGHT next to them, why didn’t that- oh, right, blasts were always supposed to be direct hits, nevermind”

Shapes are half the reason Mage size is what it is. Play Paladin and you’ll quickly come to realize how much of a difference Shapes alone make as far as magic size goes.

Conjurer isn’t exactly a massive AoE abuser, but Tempest, Sword Draw: Flash Strike, Sword Draw: Mirrored River, Shining Cycle, and Striking Gale are definite outliers and are just mindless with enough size scaling from your imbue, even without actually investing into Attack Size.

Yes, they are, like I just said… Shape size nerfs and Pulsar size nerfs target Mage directly (no other class has Shapes or Pulsar), and are going to have a massive impact on the potential of its AoE, even when fully investing into Attack Size. And, once again, heavy-solid magics are only as oppressive as they are in the current patch due to the reasons I outlined in my previous post, which are all getting addressed. They don’t need a direct nerf.

Every problem i’ve personally had with mages has had nothing to do with attack shape but aight.

You’re telling me that the Mages you’re fighting that have such oppressive AoE are not using a +Size Shape on their Blasts, and Hammer Shape on their Explosions? I can go ahead and clip what 80 Attack Size Blasts on Earth look like without any Shape. It’s not impressive.

Explosions by themselves are already pretty oppressive… But they’re also getting nerfed so that’s nice.

Correct, I was fighting a crystal mage, when suddenly, ultimate art self explosion (he doesn’t have attack size btw) covers the inner 60 percent of the arena.

Though I’m sure the size scaling from the Ultimate Art cast assisted, Crystal, Earth, and Wood most notably have what I like to call ‘blossoming’ visuals. The hurtbox is only contained within a smaller portion of the visual detonation, and the rest is simply for show. You can see the actual hurtboxes of Blasts and Explosions much more accurately if you turn your graphics down low and turn visual detail to low as well. For the magics I listed, the actual AoE tends to be much smaller than you realize.

i was getting hit on the very edge of those visuals

tbh self explosion is really the only one worth putting ultimate art on as of now
blasts can just… miss (then again, you could probably use all the size modifiers to make it not matter, but then you’d feel underwhelmed by the damage despite it still being buffed [OR, if you’re not me, you could simply be better at the game and Aim]).
placed explosions do like 100-150 less damage than self explosions even with ult art on my build last i checked

Crystal (1.2x size) with no Shape and no Attack Size doesn’t take up 60% of Munera’s arena. I hate Mage just as much as the next guy but that’s just actual copium

might be a bit of an exaggeration, it’s hard to remember. But the point stands that it’s UNREASONABLY huge.

hey it’s me, the mage

why do slightly less damage in exchange for AoE when you could instead turn your self explosion into a phoenix, betray your playstyle entirely by dashing directly towards your opponent, snare them, and THEN do your ultimate art self explosion that they may or may not try to block?

what’s funny is that the desync i get sometimes makes blocking or parrying it quite literally impossible, like the damage registers before the endlag of being snared is done.

this is partially sarcasm because i CAN see why just going for size would be better for your survivability but… bigger and more numbers make me go “heehoo”

because on my build snare does well over 200 damage, and an ult. double self explosion (that WILL hit because they’re still pretty closeby after the snare) does a total of 400, that is mind boggling (this is without the calvus torso btw)

Just deal with what we’re getting for now and we’ll see where things go from v1.12. Mage is gunna get hit very, very heavily, and it’s gunna leave most of its players crying. It’s kinda hard to crutch on Ultimate Art when the CD is like, a minute (?), so if that’s the only source of insane size without full AoE investment post-v1.12 I’m okay with that

i’ve noticed another problem with mage while playing it

placed explosion doesn’t require you to aim and the solution proposed is likely not to be added due to it being possibly too big

so i can STILL get like 150 damage for free even with my terrible aim on blasts and if i’m too far away to hit a beam

speaking of beams, what is the point to using a single beam now? double beams are genuinely just superior as far as i’ve seen