Blood and Mist Chapter 1

Prologue

Emily woke up and got out of bed. Her mother had left a week ago during the endless rain for some “mission”. Now Emily was stuck taking care of the small house and the chickens they owned. Emily tossed on some old clothes and grabbed a basket from the ground. It was starting to get chilly. Emily glanced at the basement hatch where the coats were stored. Soon she would get them out, but it cost too much to buy more coats so she wouldn’t risk it yet.

Emily slipped on her leather shoes and opened the creaky wooden door to the damp air. It made her feel alive and her blood thirsted to awaken. Even three days after the endless rain the air was still wet and damp. Emily continued to the chicken coop, the dirt damp but firm under the soles of her shoes. The sun rising over the distant mountains to the east. She opened the chicken coop pulling seeds from the basket. Her mother said she might return tomorrow, best to keep everything in order.

Emily dropped the seed on the wood floor, waking up some of the chickens which hopped down to eat. She woke the others up and put them on the ground before gathering the eggs. “Only 7 today,” Emily sighed before heading out of the coop and closing the door behind her to the sound of pecking chickens.

She went back inside. Shutting the air out. She then grabbed some matches and lit the logs under the cast-iron stove. She cracked an egg and cooked herself some breakfast. Before dousing the flames.

Emily looked out the window while eating, noticing the village starting to awaken. A stray dog came and sat in front of her house. Emily finished the egg before grabbing some bread and heading out the door. The sun illuminating the streets and the dew dotting the plants. “Hey there, pup,” Emily said before scratching the stray dog behind the ear. “The other villagers say you bring bad luck,” Emily held out the chunk of bread, “And here is your breakfast. Tell me if you see Talec. Ok?” The dog gleefully took the bread, its tail wagging. It then proceeded to saunter off towards the woods as Emily headed into the village.

Emily walked through the town center pausing to look over near the well. MErcenaries had been showing up. “I guess it’s that time again?” Emily said, looking at the sky. She continued to the Inn where she sold the remainder of her eggs for 6 copper chips. It was spacious and mercenaries were gathering at the village to slay the dragon. Every year they came. No one ever succeeded. Most of the villagers had gotten used to it. Kind’ve like the endless rain. Just a fact of life.

Emily opened the Inn doors and stepped back outside. She got a few feet before a mercenary showed up looking her over. “Hey, you’re pretty, Once I kill the dragon you should marry me,” the guy said in a condescending tone.

Emily looked him over, noting the longsword on his waist and scars on his arms and head. “Sure. If you kill the dragon I’ll marry you,” Emily said. Each year mercenaries would find pretty girls in the village promising riches and fame. Emily learned early to just agree and not try to fight. “Now, if you’ll excuse me, I have work to do,” Emily briskly walked past him.

“Remember! I’m killing the dragon and you’ll be my bride!” Emily proceeded to forget the man

She returned home to drop off her basket before heading out to the rice fields to help with the harvest. It made money and that’s all that truly mattered when it came to work. Emily spent the remainder of the day harvesting and sweating in the sun.

She got some of the rice to take home and she dropped her sack in the corner of the house before flopping onto her hard bed. “Talec, where are you?” Emily said, looking at the house’s wooden ceiling.

3 Likes