Hover Spell...And Why The (D)uck Does it Exist

I was looking over spells, and then I got reminded that the Hover Spell exist. Okay, but what’s the point? To gain an aerial advantage? If so, all I need to do is high jump and magic jump, it’s quicker too! I can only see one use and it’s melee enemies since they’re idiots.

Because it’s cool.

A lasting aerial advantage is what it gives. It could be a pretty good spell for PvP when your magic jumps are on CD.

1. Freedom of movement

Hover makes it easier to move while off the ground. You can alter height at will by cancelling and restarting hover and you can travel horizotally easier.

1. Infinite high-ground

Hold T then magic jump, then activate hover. Unless there was a wall that you could have jumped off, you are now as high as realistically possible between you and your enemy in a fair fight without assuming there is a drastic difference in magic size, or unless you do a dumb with Wind. Your opponent can match your height but they can’t go over you or stay level with you unless they are also hovering. This means they would have to always aim up (which is challenging for them) and you can rain down fire on them.

1. Avoiding hazards

You can easily dodge glass piles, magma puddles, acid puddles, electrified water puddles, and mud puddles. Clouds can generate midair but it’s easier to create them on ground. If terrain is uneven just fly right over it.

To be fair, at greater levels the higher magic jump is gonna make it easier to stay above hazards but it’s still not the same. And on the contrary, magic jump going higher means that the difference in height between the players will only get bigger and bigger unless the stubborn ground dweller decides to use hover.

4 (prob most important). Dodge AoE

The easiest and most consistent way to hit someone in WoM is to hit them as they are on the ground or rising up since projectiles and beams explode on contact with the ground, and since placed explosions are best to use along the ground. Hover basically eliminates this entirely.

18 Likes

There won’t be jump cool down when hover is added, you’ll be able to magic jump once in the air and again when you touch the ground

sounds corny but pretty useful ig

you skipped over 4 lmao
still nice and informative post

hot take: hover doesnt sound need to exist

• magic air dodge is fine, lets you dodge but not gonna give you so much air momentum
  • shouldn’t be able to stall in the air for extended amounts of time. you should land a decent amount of the time
  • ground hazards should actually be dangerous
  • you need insane sizes if you’re tryna hit someone in the air with full vertical and horizontal movement
  • hurts ocean and obstacle hazards
1 Like

idc about pvp so idc about the implications it has in it to a certain extent, but the parts on obstacles/hazards are pretty good points.

pvp sounds aids with hover because you barely have people landing. boutta just resort to who has the high ground

pvp sounds as in the sounds made in PvP?

no as in
hover in pvp seems horrible

bro idk what i was on when i read your comment at first lmao, i could not for the life of me understand what you said then i come back in an hour and i get it instantly
was probably because i had almost just woken up then

but yeah it’s about to be dbz but make it harry potter, just who can get higher first
wom combat always looked boring to me but this sounds even more boring
well, what do I know? game ain’t even out yet so imma start complaining when I see it

1 Like

you know…this’ll make glass, acid/magma puddles and electrified puddles useless if you’re just in the air 90% of the fight, i hope AO doesnt become WoM combat gone sky high lmao

Yeah I’m starting to reconsider being in favour of hover I just wish there was some form of constant movement similar to hover that doesn’t present such issues, I mean with the changes that are planned for hovers I expect it to look beautiful so it would be sad to see something like that go.

Use my magic slide suggestion it’s definitely 100% useful

Hover could be reworked into something like an air-dodge:
Instead of being a slow burn “disable gravity until i run out of magic energy” button, it could last about ~2 seconds, and massively increase horizontal mobility (in addition to locking your Y).

Functionally very similar (and it can keep the current aesthetics), but it promotes fast paced combat and improves mobility, rather than being solely useful for cheesing opponents by floating above them forever.

i only saw the small text after i made this reply, i’m keeping the reply anyway

Dodging with magic is planned, not to the capacity where you can manipulate yourself like hover tho, which is why I’m sort of conflicted on how a spell that gives off a similar energy to hover could be implemented and still have usage/not have uses too similar to something that’s already coming.

I had a suggestion ages ago that would function as a sort of grounded version of flight as the spell got removed but in hindsight I don’t know what advantages it would give that wouldn’t break the game in terms of mobility options.

Honestly hover shouldn’t exist.
The reason aerial combat is better than grounded combat is because aerial combat adds an extra dimension to dodging and aiming.

Hover locks your height, and removes that dimension. It’s grounded combat except without AoE.
Late game mobility options should keep you in the air longer by blasting you around in carefully restricted (and thus interesting) ways. Just being in the air doesn’t make combat more interesting.

There is no use case for hover except cheesing enemies by giving yourself a permanent high-ground.

Highly doubt hover will be this huge game-breaking issue.

We can slash in air with melee now to pressure those who like to abuse the air, and you can’t stay in the air forever.

I don’t even think it lasts that long. Also this doesn’t seem like something that the weapon or fighting style route will be able to do. Just let hover exist so that the magic route can have something unique and not just be a source of damage.

It’s not like the player can even get that high. Highest you can get is T jump — > Magic Jump x1 ----> Hover.

If you use up all your magic energy with hover you’re screwed and can be punished (unless you run or follow up with weapons. Though running without energy reserves results in death 9/10).

We can’t even access hover so I don’t know why we’re rallying to get it removed. This isn’t like the flight spell where you can completely skip AO. Lets wait and see if it breaks the game or not and then complain about it.

I don’t think it’ll be game-breaking, but I do think it’s the least interesting possible air-mobility spell.

The most obvious comparison is to pre-nerf magic jumps - given the option to trade magic energy for air time, people pick air time. Infinite magic jumps (until you ran out of energy) wasn’t game-breaking, but it was annoying enough to get removed.

Hover isn’t a dodge - it’s just an “on/off” button for having high ground. In a normal fight, gravity ensures players gain and lose the height advantage constantly, which makes combat dynamic and fast paced.
By turning off gravity, you turn off the most interesting dimension to combat. “Low energy consumption, long duration Y-axis lock” is the least interesting possible mobility spell. Unless hover gets conceptually reworked from what we’re seeing NPCs use currently, I don’t think it’ll be fun.

2 Likes