Make positive magic damage interactions stack with halved effectiveness

Currently, if a target is afflicted by two status effects in which a magic would gain damage, that magic would only gain damage from the status effect it has a stronger damage interaction with. For instance, if a Wood user attacks a target that is both afflicted with the Sandy and Scorched status effects, the Wood user would only deal 30% more damage rather than 50% (30% from scorch + 20% from sandy).

This would allow some magics to have more damage potential than other magics because of the quantity of their synergies rather than just the quality. Both should give magics high damage potential rather than the strength of just one synergy.

Since magic damage interactions directly stacking with each other could easily become too powerful, I think they should still be rewarded to make the use of multiple synergizing magics better. Instead of just adding the damage bonus of the strongest magic damage interaction, it should also add 50% of the weaker magic damage interaction(s) applied to the enemy. This would make a Sandy and Scorched target take 40% more damage from Wood Magic rather than 30% more damage. This would also allow Wood Magic to deal up to 60% more damage with just interactions against a target that is bleeding, scorched, and burning, rewarding the Wood mage for landing a hit within the overlapping durations of those short-lasting status effects (especially when the player is using all three magics by themselves).

i don’t get why this wasn’t already a thing, just makes sense

In all honesty I have a few problems with this proposal. This is supposed to be beneficial for magics with quantity of synergies rather than quality, but the issue is many of the magics that have the quantity additionally have the quality rather than just having a series of low quality interactions, so only really some magics would be benefiting (mostly solid, most prominent would be Wood) whereas magics that already have it good would also be benefiting (mostly heat, most prominent would be Plasma and also Acid, but even Magma would benefit), and other magics wouldn’t really be affected at all. More importantly, if it wasn’t really bad enough as it is for Shadow and Light, they’d be left out of this entirely.

Acid interactions

Plasma interactions

Magma interactions (60% will become 20% for onlookers)

Lightning interactions}

So in conclusion, heat magics would be majorly boosted, solid magics would get some boosts, everything else would get slight boosts, and shadow and light would get nothing.

3 Likes

even though the chance of someone having 2 status effects at once that buff a magic are really low

it still sucks that shadow and light would be completely left out of this, thus being put at an even bigger disadvantage when it comes to synergies

I once had Freezing and Burning at the same time.

idk why I felt the need to say this but ok

thats kinda dumb tbh
(ice)

idk looks fine to me

fire can melt ice really quickly

This topic was automatically closed after 4 days. New replies are no longer allowed.