Shadow's effect shouldn't just be a colorblind filter

Shadow is a decent magic in the game (in my opinion; you may agree or disagree with this statement), but we can agree it’s effect is not good (practically useless). Many people suggested changes, and this time it’s my turn

Context

What is Shadow’s effect currently?

Currently, Shadow’s effect is a colorblind filter to the user hit. This doesn’t provide anything good as an effect while an element like Light, having less damage, can blind the opponent with hits.

Idea

The Idea:

Make Shadow darken your vision, blinding you at multiple hits. It’s simple and logical. ‘‘Why?’’ you might ask, good question.

Light and Shadow are opposites (obviously). Light blinds the opponent at hit much like light can blind you IRL, Shadow can also ‘‘blind you’’ in some way: going into a dark place makes you see nothing without light. But then why does it give a colorblind effect on WoM? I don’t have any idea why, instead of a darkening effect it colorblinds you.

Since Ink is also being removed, and Inked could darken your vision a bit with the ‘‘inked’’ effect in the same way ‘‘soaked’’ makes parts of your screen dark, I see no reason for it to not be added.

Another suggestion would be to keep the colorblinding effect but make it scale into vision loss. This was taken from a reply by @Acid which said the following:

Would it make Shadow OP & comparison with light (read to understand why I decided to compare both)

Would this unbalance Shadow?

Personally, no, not too much I believe. Shadow is currently ‘‘better light’’ so this thought came around my mind a second. But does the blinding effect of Light affect too much if you can dodge the attacks? No, right? Then why not Shadow?

For comparison of what I said by ‘‘better light’’ I’ll mention it:

Damage multiplier: Shadow has an above average 0.95x stat while Light has a low 0.825x stat.

Speed: Shadow has a fast 1.3x speed stat while Light has the highest value: 1.7 stat. Though, that is the only advantage it has, and while it allows for easier hits, it’s size is inferior and the damage isn’t that good.

Size: Shadow has an ‘‘average’’ 1.15x size while Light has a small 1.0x size

Destruction: It doesn’t matter very much but it’s still superior on Shadow; 0.75x terrain and 0.71x structure compared to Light’s 0.50x terrain and 0.41x structure values.

Clashrates: Light currently has the worst clashrates: only 1 advantage against Wind, 6 neutral clashes and 15 disadvantages. Shadow? Has 5 advantages, 6 neutral clashes and 11 disadvantages. That’s noticeable.

Magic Interactions and Effects:

Info copied from the Trello board:

Fire

• Creates a flash of light when clashing.

Ice

• Deals 30% less damage if the target is Frozen.

Light

• Gives the Blinded status effect.

Shadow

• Deals 20% less damage if the target is Drained.

Poison

• Attacks get swallowed by poisonous clouds on contact.

Not that good in my opinion. Can’t work with freeze nor shadow, gets absorbed by poison clouds, and just a small clashing interaction with Fire, as well as a Blinding effect which I already talked about.

Shadow’s synergies and effects:

Ice

• Deals 30% less damage if the target is Frozen.

Light

• Deals 30% less damage if the target is Blinded.

Shadow is quite neutral too. No great synergies, but it has some smaller advantages such as not vanishing in poison clouds.

(Small detail thanks to @Ultimate and @Waping: shadow and light create an ‘‘equinox’’ effect of lightning when clashing together)

So what do you say? Agreed or no? Comments or constructive criticism are welcome. This is just my opinion.

Sorry for the long wall of text pre-edit!

To resume: Shadow’s effect is bad and needs to be changed or improved.

next time use the hide text option but besides that, I agree and voted!

2 Likes

Thanks! I’ll try to make an edit with text hidden too

This is a lot better, great improvement :+1:

1 Like

Thank you! I was focusing on making the edit properly.

Shadow doesn’t need buff

They’re not talking about the damage or size, the effect just needs to be better imo, having your screen changed to black and white barely changes anything apart from making a select few stuff hard to differentiate

1 Like

Reason why I mentioned that is in case people think this could make Shadow OP as it was already better light and it was just extra details to give info and make the post have a bit more effort. It’s just to go in-depth with the topic.

It’s not a significant buff in my opinion, but would you care to give an explanation and your point of view on the topic then?

Shadow is S tier rn. No buffs for shadow.

Shadow being S tier doesn’t mean that it should get no improvements whatsoever. If we’re going by that logic, no magic that gets buffed enough to be considered A or S tier should not get improvements then

2 Likes

i dont think you’re caught up with the meta…

are you sure?

it’s relatively quick, has above average damage and average size, better than light, a proper effect wouldn’t alter its stats therefore it wouldn’t be too much of a buff. i’m not asking to bring back wither you know?

or if you meant by the side shadow is S tier then i’ll agree. but remember this is mostly my opinion and i’m open to comments, so, if i said shadow is decent it’s cause it feels like that to me

Correct. A magic being high tier does not mean it doesn’t require an improvement that is mainly Quality of Life and not a massive buff.

1 Like

I don’t think that giving Shadow a type of Blindness effect would be a good idea. Shadow already has a better damage, size, destruction, clash rates, and has better Magic interactions due to the unbalance of Light having 20% less damage towards shadow when drained plus it can’t hit into poisonous clouds opposed to shadow when hitting light dealing 30% less damage when target is blinded(They both have 30% less damage when interacted with Ice so that’s basically separate since that’s even).

At the end of the day if this were to be implemented, light would literally have no use when compared to shadow except for Magic speed. There would be zero point as to having light even exist in the game when there would be a magic that’s better in every single aspect besides one, and there are a couple of aspects when looking at the stats of Magics. If all the magics are supposed to be on equal level, that doesn’t sound very equal to me.

Also have a cookie :cookie:

1 Like

This is an interestingly long reply. I agree with the details.

Yes, Shadow is better than Light as I said in the post. How do we fix if this were to be implemented? Perhaps buffing light to put it at almost the level of Shadow should make it more viable choice.

Also, magics at equal level? Light is still waaay unequal, so is Crystal and Wood probably too (my opinion). However, what I think you mean is that it would have no use unlike Wood (which has it’s uses/combinations) and probably Crystal has some advantages too, while light would become literally useless. As I said before a light buff could help, to make it still viable against shadow.

However, I’m open to comments, as long as this post remains open until it closes.

And thanks for the cookie, fellow forumer.

I see where you’re coming from but let’s be real, we have magics that are legit just better versions of another. I’m digressing but why do you think people choose gold over iron? Anyways I do agree about your point with light though, unless Vetex decides to at least buff its base damage in return for lowering another stat slightly, I guess it’ll become more useful

Regarding your question: people pick Gold over Iron cause of damage. People pick Iron over Gold cause it’s slightly quicker and only slightly less damaging. Would say they’re equal. And there are magics that are better versions of another that’s for sure. Example could be Sand and Snow (probably).

Regarding the buff: sounds like the most reasonable solution and I believe that’s a change to make it relevant again. After all, the suggestion of a light buff here was mine.

1 Like

Gold is getting snapped, metal now

Worst magic in the game post-TGR will be light and this is just shadow spitting on its grave, it is gonna blind the border of people’s screens already though, just not their full screen

1 Like

Light and shadow also have a visual interaction that is not noted on the trello.