Something is Missing

I just wanted to hear peoples’ thoughts on something I’ve been thinking about.

So, looking at the recent and old Arcane Odyssey leaks, i felt as if something were to be missing. Looking into leaks where the towns were featured, like Redwake and such ( My favorite Arcane Odyssey bug (so far) - YouTube
Arcane Odyssey: Weapons and combat Showcase. - YouTube
Arcane Odyssey - Magic + Weapon Combat on Sky Island (read desc) - YouTube
Arcane Odyssey - Weapon Skill Combat Showcase 2 (read desc) - YouTube
[Arcane Odyssey] Weapon Preview - YouTube ), i cant help but feel as if these towns all feel kind of empty.
With the NPCs losing their pathfinding and just kind of being, yknow, general standing still ai, it feels kind of off with these towns not having the ol’ civilians walking around and just going about day to day life.
I know that they did cause lag and all, but it somewhat did give a sense of immersion for me in WoM.

I was just wondering about peoples thoughts on this

Also, if you really think about it, the NPCs are technically even more powerful than lore figures cause theyre immortal

Yeah I can see that.
They prob didn’t release pathfinding for NPC’s yet idk
For non hostile’s at least.

pathfinding is great and all but i dont like waiting the life-span of the Sun for the metalworker to wake up and go to work

1 Like

Definitely gonna miss it too, no more war crimes :frcryin:

Side from that though it’ll feel more empty but I feel like we’ll get used to it in a month or so, won’t be that bad.

1 Like

until they get stuck behind a wall or just stop moving entirely and are like “stop bugging me I’m going to work” when the sun is already setting

1 Like

the alchemist in ironport be like

always outside their fucking door

3 Likes

I mean although immersion is great, I think it was a smart move for vetex to remove moving NPCs, on lower end computers (like my laptop) those NPCs totally thrashed my computer, and I think without them it would really help make the game more playable in general, even if sadly the trade off being you don’t get to really immerse yourself into the world of the warseas.

Then again I’m sure vetex will probably figure out a way to fix this issue, if that means like by adding more static NPCs or making NPCs do little animations or interact with each other despite them not actually moving, I think that is most likely to happen.

anyways that’s my take, TL;DR: it was a smart idea that vetex removed pathfinding, helps lower end PCs run AO, and it most likely can be fixed with alternatives for immersion.

1 Like

the point of the game isnt to sit and watch npcs walk around towns so i think ull be fine

7 Likes

they aren’t immortal, you just cant damage them because theres no reason for you to be able to do so. That’s like saying “technically everyone in AO is dehydrated because we never drink water”

9 Likes

raiden punching armstrong meme

Wish there would be NPCs walking around towns tho. That’d honestly be cool since not many games have that type of AI :pensive:

I actually sat an watched an npc live through their life one time while waiting for my friends to get on lmao
I guess what you said was true though, im still excited for AO nonetheless.

meh
only upside i can see is more fun knowing that you snuffed out their otherwise long and prosperous life when you kill them mercilessly

common vetex W

1 Like

Welcome to another episode of WOULD YOU RATHER!

Here are your choices, contestant:

1. Lag into oblivion and be unable to use shops for 3/4 of your gameplay experience!
  2. Slightly less immersion!
7 Likes

Easy choice #1 :frcryin:

1 Like

Honestly I’d rather have less immersion than having to go between places just to find a smith or alchemist while having 20000 ping or having to fight some villain kid destroying a town

1 Like

speaking of buildings being destroyed, has Vetex changed it so that buildings are no longer unanchored completely when destroyed? asking Vetex or tester man bere