[Weekly Prompt, Wandering in the dark] Judgement

He woke up in complete darkness. The only thing he remembered was a sharp pain in his chest before losing consciousness. As he got up, he noticed that he was lying in a shallow pool of unknown liquid with the consistency of water.

He began walking.

He didn’t know why he started walking, only that he must. As he continued to walk, he noticed a light in the distance. It shone to him, tempting him to walk into it.

He began to run.

As he ran towards the light, fragments of his memory resurfaced. A crackle of red lightning. A blast of darkness. His opponent falling. A large bang.

At last, he reached the light. It was bright, but it didn’t blind him. The light grew. It began to swallow him. He tried to escape, but his efforts were futile. It was simply too fast. The light began to pulse brighter and brighter until it pained him to keep his eyes open.

Then he closed his eyes, and all light disappeared.

“Wake up, kid.”

He opened his eyes to a strange sight. He was on a boat floating down an underground river. The boat was relatively small, enough for him and his cloaked captain to be seated opposite of one another.

“Good, you’re awake.” The captain said, as they pushed the boat along.

“Where am I?”

“You’re in the place between worlds. I doubt mortals remember this place’s name after so many years…” The captain turned to him. Their face was a skull with two glowing orbs where eyes should be.

“Who are you?”

“I am the ferryman, I guide lost souls through these desolate waters to their final destination. I also help them understand their actions in life…”

“Understand their actions?”

The ferryman chuckled. “Did you feel content in life?”

“No. Wait, how did I-”

“Did you feel as though you were liked?”

“No. I don’t rem-”

“Final question: Do you think that you were a good person? Be honest.”

For once, he didn’t automatically answer the ferryman. But why? Maybe he was supposed to answer this himself?

More memories began to flash across his mind. At first, they came slowly, one at a time. Then, they came faster, and faster, and faster. A torrent of thoughts, experiences, and memories came flooding back to him. His every action in life made itself known. The pain he had caused, the good he had done, everything.

And then, it stopped.

Tears began to flow down his face. “No…”

“Honesty. Now there’s a surprise.” The ferryman said. "It’s funny how many villains think they can lie their way through the Judgement. Well, I say ‘funny’. It’s actually quite tragic.

“What’s going to happen to me now?”

The ferryman chuckled. “…You’re a pretty bad person, kid. Hell is waiting for you… But, I do appreciate your honesty in the Judgement. So here, take this.” The ferryman handed him a silver coin. One side depicted a boat similar to the one he was sitting in. The other side depicted a skull. “Most don’t believe in second chances when it comes to these things, but I do. Besides, you weren’t always evil. Your circumstances and upbringing were a large part in what made you who you were. I just hope that this time is different.”

The coin began to glow. His body began to vanish.

“Wh-what’s happening?”

“I’m giving you a second chance. Use it well. If you don’t… Hell’s waiting.”

“Thank you…” He said as his body faded away.

The ferryman chuckled. “Goodbye, Dacien. And good luck.”

6 Likes

my man dacien :frcryin:

1 Like

DACIEN YO-

holy shit.

1 Like