Your thoughts on Deepwoken (sort of a rant as well)

as the title said, what are your thoughts on deepwoken?
I personally believe it is a game made for masochists who love powertripping like a reddit mod in 203 subreddits by murdering freshies at erisia while also saying to anyone who wants perhaps a way to NOT have your experience in a PERMADEATH game be ruined by people who played longer than you, such as a level limit to people fighting you, with “a level limit to pvp breaks immersion” and “skill issue”.

Like, SURE! I CAN DEFINITLY BEAT TWO LEVEL 60 PLAYERS WITH ENCHANTS/BELLS AT LEVEL 7 WITH AN APPRENTICE RAPIER THAT ALSO TOOK HOURS TO GRIND OUT ON THE LAST SAVE THAT GOT WIPED BY OTHER SIMILAIRY HIGH LEVELS, IT WAS TOTALLY MY FAULT!

AND DON’T GET ME STARTED ON BALANCING. We got:

light weapons that do more than heavy weapons

talents that punish you for the opponent doing something

enchant that punishes you for the opponent doing something

enchants that win the fight easily

resonances that are absolutely broken but are definitely not getting nerfed anytime soon, and exist only for people to bossraid with and make the game seem fun

thundercall

way of navae

storm enchant making thundercall more homosexual than people in WoM using shadow

and a lot more bs.

oh, and then there’s the map!

it’s very bad, and feels empty.

so much was cut, and it just doesn’t feel like exploration, because it’s just trying to find the best place to grind exp to power up to then wipe because your build got shit talents.

and honestly, why is there even a fucking ocean in the game? it serves NO purpose, other than to make the game take forever to play. yeah, I know it’s lore and all in a shit game that has no fucking story to make me even care much at all about the lore, but it does literally nothing. there is NOTHING that happens apart from:

two ships randomly spawning on top of you out of nowhere that completely ignore you that you usually just sail away from unless it spawns on your ship

a lionfish (literally adds nothing to game)

a brainsucker or two (literally adds nothing to game)

oh, and remember me talking about the story? well, it’s impossible to criticize! BECAUSE IT DOESN’T EXIST! THIS GAME FULL OF RANDOM LORE HAS LITERALLY NO REASON TO EVEN TRY TO LEARN ABOUT BECAUSE THERE’S NO STORY OR PLOT! you’re just a random hobo who washed up on a shore! you contribute NOTHING to the world (much like the moderation team) and mean NOTHING at all! The whole world could be the exact same without you and noone would miss you!.

This game could have been something so so great, but then the permadeath aspect comes along and makes it very shit because in deepwoken, it’s not skill vs skill, it’s numbers vs numbers.

now, what are
Your thoughts on Deepwoken (sort of a rant as well)

6 Likes

my big problem w the game is the wiping system SUCKS ASS

they tried to make a game thats both hardcore and not hardcore, and what they ended up with is a system that makes playing the game miserable for new players while also leaving high level players w basically no risk of wiping

at least rogue lineage’s wiping system gave dying some weight + set the stakes pretty high

deepwoken also took away the player interaction centric design rogue used, which significantly hurts the replay value, and yet people still choose to gank freshies.

i dont even like rogue but i think deepwokens even worse

1 Like

also from what i can gather one of the biggest draws of rogue was how cryptic all the systems were, and “solving” the game along with the rest of the community
but deepwoken never really had that, theres hardly even a sense of mystery at all

1 Like

the greatest mystery was resonance (because of the gatekeeping mods) and finding the ferryman

and even then, most people found the ferryman because of this games strange insistence at artificial difficulty (no map or anything to figure out crap, I found songseeker isles as an etris spawn before erisia, and when I did, I found that weird side to the left of the gate)

there were a couple cryptic systems n hidden things yea, but as a whole the game was basically completely understood starting on day 1 thanks to all the youtubers posting shitty ass starter guides

Lore? What lore? I just know that Etrea and The Authority are at war.

IMO, the Deep is the only interesting location in the entire game. It’s good for exploration since it’s such a big place. It’s also the only area of the game that isn’t broken up by the massive fucking ocean of boredom.

The ocean is boring and adds basically nothing to the game. It’s literally just rock and dihydrogen monoxide. You get attacked by a lionfish every once in awhile, but that’s basically the only exciting thing that ever happens out there.

And the islands…

MY GOD THE ISLANDS

Erisia is bland and boring to explore since you get interrupted by a sharko every five seconds, Summer isle has the most bullshit npcs you’ll ever fight, The Songwilds are home to bullshit thundercall users that are impossible to reliably beat, Etrea is a boring town island, and Mintyrsea (or whatever its called) is the blandest snowy island you’ll ever see.

1 Like

also, how you can just climb over the walls of celtor, and how angels aren’t even close to a threat to high levels, while also having seekers be extremally bad as a system

like holy shit, celtor could have been some tomb of the ocean king type crap with stealth and stuff by doing things such as distracting the thing that is the danger to get past to the bells, trying to stun them with your mantra, etc, but instead we just get a bunch of weird things that have extremally shit detection, along with just generally looking around with NO method to distract or make them not look at you, leading it all up to chance.

instead of making celtor a god tier experience of stealth, we just have getting over it with ragooza archmage and then some shitty battle that most high levels have no trouble with because there’s literally no changes in combat

1 Like

ministry land is the coolest island fight me
it has several super cool unique types of enemies and this cool culty vibe

lore is that the song made the tides rise due to it’s anger or something, making most of the world under the depths and the part above into the voidsea, making it a place that experiences time stasis and such, with very few parts you could live in between voidsea.

this game’s lore would be god tier if there was AN ACTUAL DAMN PLOT

LIKE YOU CAN HANDLE HAVING MULTIPLE RACES AVAILABLE PICKED BY THE PLAYER TO BE THE PROTAGONIST, LOOK AT STARBOUND FOR INSTANCE

I like minityrsa, since I like snowy places in general, fuck stone knights tho

It has two whole areas to explore:

1.) The temple
2.) The mountain

Both of them get real boring real fast.

I do agree that it’s the best of the islands, but that isn’t saying much when all of the islands are really bad.

honestly only mildly cool place would be the eastern interstitial lighthouse, and that’s because its a cool castle like thing, there is literally no reason to use it because rushed game, and there’s also the fact that it’s tucked away in a tiny little enclave that no sane person would ever find

erisia would be next only because it’s got an actual size

i like both the areas at mini wheats though, it was pretty fun to traverse first time around, i really like the necromancer guys, and it has some cool events

itd be a solid area if the game was just structured better

the valley of heroes was a great idea if the only thing up there wasn’t 20% of the weird fanart (50% of it is female owls somehow and another 20% is karliah) and a shit event that’s impossible to do solo

not to mention most of the mountain looks lopsided thanks to the valley up there

i dont really like valley of heroes i agree but i wouldnt dock that many points from mitrynirstara just because the island contains it
aelita event is a cool mixup but questionable inclusion to the game

the island looks like it’s meant to be a mountain due to the whole climb up there but it like most islands are kind of like a slope rather than mountains

and don’t even get me started on the fanart

like, GOD, with the whole knocking unconscious feature, they were just begging for those kinds of fanarts to be made, at an ALARMING rate

I would go so far as to say more fanart is of that kind than actual fanart of the game (why the fuck do female owls exist as fanart)

idc about the fanart i just like mintyyourson because cool temple and fun parkour

understandable apart from the parkour because it’s just a massive climb akin to mount seawatch except more directions

still want to know why female owl fanart exists and dominates the fanart %

its fun 1nce!!! u only play multiple times because game design issue!!!
the only reason im still replying is to mispell mitrynursa in new ways