August Writing Prompt: Birth of the Phoenix

For this: Monthly Writing Prompts: August 2023

Mickenzie stepped onto the shore looking at the red sky, her gold dress blowing in a calm breeze in clear opposition to the island’s red tinted skies. Edmund stepped off the sailboat beside her, his sharp grizzled face and rough attitude towards the world made him a good bodyguard for this exploration. He wore simple clothes for this exploration much like she did under her dress.

After packing their backpacks they headed up the inclined road towards the old winterveil castle. Mickenzie was excited for what she would find in the ruins, the mysteries and ancient history of this kingdom. Maybe even some gold that hadn’t been looted!

The two companions made the trek to the castle and entered, the doors creaking open. Mickenzie noticed that there weren’t any cobwebs, unlike at other abandoned places she had visited in the war seas. They continued on looking at rotted furniture and rubble. Edmund cursed when he thought he saw someone moving in the red mist. The black stones were distracting and even with warding, walking through this place she swore she saw figures as well.

Eventually they began to cross a broken bridge between two pillars. Stepping onto the pillar they were crossing to, he felt the blackstone crack, and he barely managed to grab Mickenzie off the bridge before it fell, shattering on rocks below.

“Oh, wow that was close.” she said, dazed.

“Please be more careful, miss,” Edmund responded.

The two headed down the pillar finding some old artifacts and old bones from the people who lived here before. At one point they discovered some purple mushrooms growing out of the walls and floor. It even looked like a rock was floating in midair. Mickenzie got distracted trying to figure out why. While she was doing that Edmund decided to slip away. He was here for a different purpose. Quickly locating the hidden Devourer left behind by some other order members.
Mickenzie paused, realizing Edmund had disappeared. “Edmund!” she called out.

“I’m over here, I saw something shiny. Look at this,”

Mickenzie came over excited, She barely managed to dodge the sword thrust meant to skewer her. She launched herself back with a burst of fire magic. “What the hell is wrong with you?” she yelled. Edmund didn’t skip a beat and launched forward with the devourer in hand. He didn’t want to be a member of the order but his family depended on his success.

Mickenzie dodged again and then turned her arm into fire and went in for a punch. It connected but the frostmetal breastplate Edmund was wearing absorbed the heat. He swung down, she couldn’t dodge in time and her arm got severed clean off even though it was turned into fire.

“I found this curse! It doesn’t belong to you or whoever you work for!” Mickenzie set the room on fire. Even though she thought it would burn everything she still felt the devourer pierce her heart and she let out a sob before collapsing. The flame curse materialized nearby. Edmund stood up, his skin melting as he turned to look at the curse, a touch and he would live. Edmund’s lifeless body collapsed nearby a finger bone reaching for the curse.

3 days later

A seagull landed on the pillar, already being driven mad by the insanity. It saw the fire and wanted this horrible suffering to end. So it flew down and landed on the flames hoping for relief. Instead it became one with fire, its mind clearing as the fire burned away the insanity. The bird felt free, more than ever before, so it took flight like a gorgeous firework.

6 Likes

Been a while since I last wrote. Enjoy.

holy shit i never thought of what would happen to other creatures if they get a curse, if the bird actually became a phoenix that would be sick

I got the idea from @liu

1 Like

Okay Calvus time to get the devourer guns. (The bird is an enemy of the realm)

1 Like

Well this certainly is an interesting piece! The bird absorbed the curse, not a human, something that is very unique.

:face_holding_back_tears:

1 Like