Being honest about the game

Hi, I’m someone who’s mostly stepped back from the forums these days. I was thinking about this game’s future, and I just kinda felt like sharing

It’s been 9 months since the game released. It’s likely going to be a year before the nimbus sea is even available. In those 9 months, we’ve gotten some miscellaneous new features, a few map changes, the addition of the dark sea, and some quality of life changes. I don’t know if this is actually true, or if this is some kind of psychological thing, but it really feels like the patch notes are coming slower. At this point, you kind of have to wonder, “how long is the nimbus sea going to take at this rate?”

And, like, it could be pretty much any amount of time. With vetex always working on stuff besides adding new story content, the Bronze Sea took 2 years or something like that. And that was when he was working fast enough to do things like revamp the visuals for a magic type every single day. And how many seas will the game even have? Will it be 5? The game could easily be in development for another decade, if that’s the case. If that happened, I would be pushing 30 by the time the game is finished. And that’s assuming the project never gets dropped.

That being said, would Vetex really drop it all of a sudden? He’s been working on the game for three years at this point. And he’s been working on other games in the same world for eight, with a little break in the middle where he worked on a somewhat unsuccessful smaller game, before returning to the arcane universe of his own volition.

And am I ever gonna stop caring? It’s been 3 years since I started following this project, and I still come back to check on things, hop on to play the game, try out every new update. And I’m not really exhausting anything to do that. I’m an adult at this point, I’ve got other things to do. I don’t spend every waking moment burning myself out on this game. I don’t see a reason why this game can’t continue to be my game of the week every once in a while forever.

And if the game does get dropped and we never get to see the ending, I’ll be sad, sure, but that was never the point anyways.

So, kind of a pointless thread. But i just felt like speaking my mind. Hope someone gets something out of this. (put in off topic cause i feel its kind of a meta post, not really about the game itself)

10 Likes

i think the reason patch notes are coming slower is because vetex is building like entire islands and coding entire story parts, i can see those taking a while

Honestly, I felt like it only took 2 years to finish because we had to deal with a lot of other things being added to the game such as the mechanic of magics, fists, weaponry, ships, well you get the point as that was more so the beginning stage of the game and it was probably still being re-worked and planned to what we have now

With nimbus sea vetex does have the essentials to make it or create it faster than the two years of waiting since he isn’t choosing 700 models, thousands of coding, re-works, etc and now all of those pieces of creations and work have been formed into the bronze sea which could really help out the development for nimbus sea as the game has been thought out and can take those ideas from the bronze sea and "import those references"into the nimbus

Though only thing slowing it down is the sea since it’s still fresh itself but now since vetex has formed a pretty good team (of builders and such) and knowledge of what his code for AO is, I’d say the nimbus sea will go smoother and slightly/more so quickly, though I don’t think it’ll be coming in early 2024

But overall if it takes like one year per sea I’d at least have a good “adventure” in-game before it’s end
I did not like how vetex said he was gonna “complete the game in 2 years” last time, felt short and I’d rather enjoy the experience since AO is the final :sob:

Edit:
Though un-sure about the slowdown on the trello,that’s a problem

Tbh no disrespect but I feel like you’re doing that “waiting for a video game” thing where you make it out the remaining development be more straightforward than it really is. Vetex has always spent, like, at most, a third of his time working on story content, and I don’t see that changing. There are definitely lots of little changes that need to be made tons and tons of extra things he wants to add. And unless he buckles in and grinds the entire rest of the Nimbus sea out (which he won’t do), there’s no way it’s being fully finished before 2025.

You ain’t wrong…

We’ll just see how the development goes with the nimbus ig, we’re pretty much un-sure of what going on behind the back-ground of the development, could be bad or good news

The slow down on the trello?
idk.
could be a number of reasons which could either help or slow-down AO in the long run

I get where you’re coming from here. It is a bit concerning.
But at the exact same time…
Ultrakill has been in development for about 6 years, going on 7 now, and it’s both a total smash-hit, and hasn’t been dropped. Yes, I know Hakita is an entirely different type of person from Vetex, but it goes to show that this certainly isn’t impossible.

It was nice reading this rant. I feel you, the game is kind of stuck for now but we’ll see eventually. It may take as long as it will, but my biggest fear is that one day life would just be too much for me to have time on ao -and if I would want to spend that time on ao at all. I can almost say for certain that everyone is going to be in a different place by the time ao will be finished.

Right now, it feels as if we’re going on a roadtrip without a car. It’s just a long stretched out road with twists and turns that we can’t see the end of. But when walking at a slow pace you will be more aware of your surroundings. Most people I’ve spoken to go through every new thing in the game with each update before leaving to focus on other stuff in the meantime. I’ll be jealous of the people who could go through the entire game at once, but what can we do other than wait?

There’s also some problems that cause me to lose a lot of motivation to play the game, I’m not talking about the disconnection between the pvp and pve community, but just about the people that the game attracts. I haven’t been able to make any really good friends ever since WoM in this community. People are just generally less likeable in this community as of now. At least, that’s what it feels to me. Maybe when time will pass people will eventually just grow up but it’s a shame that the community turned out the way it did.

That’s kind of how I felt about it recently, this could always change over time

1 Like

I agree with this. I played wom since the guild update, and I’ve made quite a lot of friends in the time between that and AO. Everyone was much more chilled back then, and I could join any server and walk up to someone no matter the rep or guild and have a good time.

Now I have to check the playerlist each time I join a server to see if I need to server hop out of fear of being hunted by a lb guild or some sweat with 3k kills.

The community has gotten much worse in my eyes, and theres very few chances to actually develop a friendship in AO compared to wom.

2 Likes

I honestly believe that guilds and bounty hunting are the worst things that have ever happened to this game.

Forcing PvP elements onto players in a game where the main focus is PvE is never a good idea

7 Likes

Game development is a nightmare and a dream at the same time.

No amount of experience can ever prepare you for what it feels like to be passionate. The one thing you can never remember is feeling. Because feeling is only in the present.

When making a game, most tend to become attached to the project. They want it to be the best thing they’ve made, something that will make anybody proud, no matter the perspective.

In my heart, I know it; Vetex is in love with this project. He will nurture it either until his ambition dies—perhaps never, since games are limitless—and never have to be finished.

In this literal sea of endless possibilities, under the effects of the most pure love, blind passion, Vetex will have new ideas. Any game developer would.

Because they wish the best for their love.

But some things are harder than others. Storywriting, especially. It takes a lot more to make a story than it does to come up with a brand new feature that could take only 1-3 days of hard work, that could really polish everything up, such as the sail animations, deckhands, diving, ect.

The aspiration of a game developer…

WILL NEVER DIE!

2 Likes

I can honestly wait for Vetex to finish Arcane Odyssey, It doesn’t really matter if it takes 10 years or more because I’ve waited for game projects myself and it took most of them at 5+ years, some still developing (one recently released just now) and I’m still keeping an eye on those.

I’d still love the game despite it’s shortcomings anyway.

Watch me lose interest in AO in a few years before its finished, then another few years later, run into the AO novel and never realising its from Vetex. (Thats how I ended up playing Adventure Story and World of Magic, I am just destined to run into Vetex’s works by pure accident lmao)