Crystal isn't doo doo water anymore

like imagne how the game works rn but with the crystal buff and second minds
your a glass cannon fighting a tank 1k health build
you do one crystal blast and its like 200 health and then a metal one doing like 330+ and then removes a limb thats like 70% of the persons health in two blasts

Do we know how long the effect lasts?

If it’s a 20 second effect like poison, you can basically assume that every 4th hit will be boosted, giving crystal an effective base damage of 1.1.
If it’s 5 seconds like fire, landing the boost is going to be impractical and you’ll probably want a magic like metal to actually make use of the effect.

^ you’d probably have to make sure you hit attacks quite quickly to even make use of the stacking, I doubt the stacks would even last long anyway, probably between 5-10 seconds max

It lasts 10 seconds I just confirmed

1 Like

If I apply another layer, does that refresh the duration, or do I have to get all 4 hits within the 10 second window?

No, but even at 5 seconds, 1 Crystal beam+ A few Light blasts would shred

Nvm Fluect commented, point still stands at 10 seconds

Not sure if it refreshes the duration of the prior Crystals I would have to see

1 Like

Yeah but it’s still a whole different story than if you had 20 seconds to hit all 4 Crystals and shatter so at least it isn’t an insane duration of time.

Crystal got significantly overbuffed though.

Yeah it probably doesn’t need interactions THAT strong.

At least it adds some more uniqueness to interactions though, it should just get toned down but def not removed

i mean hey us crystal mains arent complaining

The damage was subject to change so it will most probably get nerfed

not by too much tho
it seems pretty ok at the moment, but it’ll be subject to testing

I dunno, I don’t think comparing crystal’s interactions to our current meta is very fair.

Crystal/Light does appreciable damage at a high speed, but it clears no status effects.
It’s completely shut down by anyone who can clear crystal, and crystal is cleared by a lot of magics.

For something directly comparable, Water/Lightning does slightly more damage, sacrificing a tiny amount of speed, and it’s also an excellent option for clearing status effects - water is one of the best clearers, lightning clears most of the important ones (like bleeding and frozen) that water misses.

Also 1.1 isn’t high end damage anymore - that’s a fairly typical damage for a fast magic with a synergy.
High end damage is more like 1.5 when synergies are taken into account. Crystal/Light (and crystal in general) will be a good option, but there’s lots of those coming.

Ok let’s compare matchups with these clearing magics.
Earth - Bad Magic in general
Lightning - Lightning/Water depends on soaked and soaked is the number 1 most removed status effect in the game but does beat this specific magic combo. Lightning + Sand removes the effect. Lightning + Crystal just turns into a fair fight
Metal - Just run while spamming light blasts and avoiding getting close. Only synergy hard countering Light + Crystal from Metal would be something like Acid + Metal but you can still try ranging acid.
Magma - Magma + what? Magma + Glass/Metal makes the bleed get cleared which isn’t bad but can also be ranged. Magma + Acid and Magma + Glass are the only real threats.
Explosion - Explosion + anything that petrifies will likely wall it.

After looking at it, ya I see Metal/Magma/Explosion clearing it quite nicely and walling it but Earth/Lightning don’t have good synergies overall unless it’s Lightning+Crystal.

Also Lightning+Water isn’t sacrificing just speed, it’s sacrificing viability

Yeah, but again if you look at the matchups, Lightning/Water has a good time.
Like a really good time.

Soaked is cleared by:

• Fire, Magma and Plasma - but water clears them in return, and even disregarding synergies, those magics need their statuses way more than water does. Water beats fire any day of the week.
  • Explosion, Sand - but lightning clears those effects. Sand doesn’t rely on it’s status quite as much as fire does, but it isn’t really boosted by anything, so it’s probably being used as a setup magic. The synergies cancel out, and it’s an even matchup. Same case with explosion - you clear the Water/Lightning synergy, but you lose your own petrification synergy.
  • Wind magic - the only magic that doesn’t get counter-cleared, this is your best shot. Or at least it would be if it wasn’t for the fact wind’s best synergy is applying Frozen, which lightning clears. Again, synergies cancel out, even matchup.
  • Ink - rip

And these are the bad matchups for Lighting/Water. If we look at the good ones:

• Everything wood tries to do is shut down. Burning, bleeding, plasma, it’s all ineffective. Hope you enjoy WoM tier wood with your DoT-free DoT magic.
  • Speaking of DoTs, all of them are covered except poison. In addition to the obvious effect of ruining those magics, this also covers acid+metal and acid+glass, which are some of the better options for them.
    • Acid and Magma actually do have a number of good synergies, but they’re all with DoT magics.
    • And if you thought poison was safe, don’t forget it’s only synergies are with DoT magics, all of which are covered.
  • I mentioned this in the first section, but both stun synergies are shut down. This is probably going to be a pretty common build (given how many magics have it as their best synergy), and covering both of them is a big deal.

Ironically, the only synergy Lightning/Water doesn’t deal with well is Light/Crystal.
wait nevermind lightning clears crystal
talk about tunnel vision

I think I phrased it badly, but the point I was originally trying to make wasn’t that Light/Crystal gets cleared and Lightning/Water doesn’t, but that clears are super important and Light/Crystal sucks at them.

Fire + Poison only loses 7.4% of its natural damage when used while the poison status effect is on the Water/Lightning user on impact and poison’s 20 seconds is nothing to scoff at making it strictly better in the matchup since lightning/water doing their natural damage won’t reach anywhere near fire’s now boosted 1.03 impact damage. Higher than Earth and Metal’s impact at 1x speed in that scenario.

Plasma is fucked, not even an argument

Magma is a case of who has the better second magic, if magma even brought something like shadow, it would fairly easily win the encounter without ever touching magma for anything but charging, if it brought something like poison it would get a consistent DoT that you physically couldn’t remove while still getting a mediocre 10% buff.

Sand can just solo both water+lightning assuming water is getting the size nerf in Meta’s suggestion since on its own it’s better than both and lightning/water is going synergy-less.

Explosion + Water/Shadow/Sand or anything that doesn’t need a synergy ironically turns it into a better pseudo-synergy for this scenario.

Wind can legit just solo both since it’s better than both individually.

I also forgot, lightning only removes frozen, not freezing so Wind+Ice still dominate Water+Lightning.

Yeah, the combo is far from unbeatable - Fire/Poison is my personal bet for being the best synergy when TGR comes out (though Wind/Ice might edge it out thanks to exceptionally good matchups and Wind being Wind).

But again - the counters for Light/Crystal include every petrify build and Lightning/Water - the counters for Lightning/Water are mostly super tailored stuff like Shadow/Magma, or Sand/Explosion. Sure, it’s not impossible, but I don’t think anyone’s going to be running this stuff.

The least niche option is Wind/Anything, which in practice means Wind/Ice (because like Sand and Light, Wind’s best build is obvious).
Out of the actually common matchups (not just stuff people are running to counter Lightning/Water), only a couple bad matchups (and a ton of one-sided ones) is pretty good.

In conclusion:

Light/Crystal is good, but probably not the best, and definitely not unbeatably broken. I don’t see nerfs coming unless we’re getting another total rebalance.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.