Hair Coloring System Change

Hair Coloring System Change https://forum.arcaneodyssey.dev/uploads/default/original/3X/3/d/3d0fae745317de2f51ed755e8bf7ab1296037b5d.png
effort 4.857142857142857 7 quality 4.714285714285714 7 reasonability 4.333333333333333 6

Alright, so we all know Arcane Odyssey’s hair coloring system yes?
So retexturing a bunch of hairs is a bit of a hassle and also limiting, so I have a suggestion for that.

Why not just make the hairs’ texture transparent? That way there’s no need to retexturing 10+ hairs for like 10+ times. And as for the coloring, just use a color wheel or color shade or whatever you call it.

If you ever wonder about something like “How transparent should it be?” then it should be something like this (Grey hair with 30% opacity PNG).

Although there’s one thing about this hair color system that people might see as disturbing,
which is it makes hairs a bit more shiny.
There are 2 solutions to this: Either [Handle + Texture] or [MeshPart + SurfaceAppearance]

(Left is the default hair coloring that ROBLOX is utilizing, Middle is MeshPart + SurfaceAppearance, Right is Handle with Texture)

Yes, it does makes the hair shinier, but the Middle and Right option has a different level of shininess. The Middle option is a bit shinier, while the Right option is a lot shinier.

The only reason why I made this suggestion is because Arcane Odyssey’s hair color option is too limited, as also doesn’t fit each hair somehow. Notice how the texture of each hair doesn’t match each other.

4 Likes

AO uses vertex coloring for the hair

1 Like

AO players precisely choosing hair colors for their edgy builds

Breaking Bad Chemistry GIF - Breaking Bad Chemistry ...

12 Likes

It is a good idea, it would make the characters with multiple hairs and facial hair look more similar in texture

But I feel like this change is going to take a lot of time to implement, I would much rather Vetex work on the next sea or something else more substantial and game changing than the customisation of hair

partly because most players hide their hair with cosmetics or turn it off completely

i made a suggestion like a while back and i still agree, there’s a lot of unavailable colour when choosing hair, and most colours only have 3 shades to choose from

it’d be nice if we could use hex codes or rgb values to choose the colour alongside the preset choices

I think this should show as an “advanced colors” option instead of replacing the current system.

2 Likes

More hair colors and better hair blending? Sure. Also clothing and eyes should also get the color palette treatment.

i dont see why not

dont most games that have a ingame avatar already have this

Yup, I like this

For the clothes to be able to use the color palette thing, Vetex will need to make multiple clothes with transparent clothing and opaque skin color.

For the eyes, I saw some UGC a while back which made that possible. Basically using a mesh to cover the entire head and make a hole in the eyes to make the eye color changeable to any colors.

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.