Math thread

Thats not always the case, since certain functions (such as x^3) does have a derivative that intersects the x axis, but doesnt have an extrema (although yes, that method works more often than not)

Oh yea, I forgot about that one

nut sac

1 Like

Finally, math I can understand

tank

cough cough 10 cough cough

Two truths one lie:

a) You can represent any natural number with three 2s and elementary operations(not just basic arithmetic, you get trigonometric functions, exponenets, logarithms and other elementary functions)

b) 1 + 2 + 3 + … = -1/12

c) ii is a real number

1 Like

… That pfp and a math thread
Man i fucking hate you

The Unitary Method is a mathematical technique in finding the value of a given problem or thing.

My guess is (a) because that just doesnt seem possible
(And also because b has a cool numberphile video that i watched and i just google searched c)

I exist solely to annoy you

@Axuris perhaps, perhaps not

math guys what is this im in extreme confusion

I dont know what the triangle of three dots mean, and its in spanish

1 Like

math challeng :sunglasses:

Just give up and burn it

Could you atleast translate it if its your homework?

Looks like Cramer’s rule (I think that’s the name in English) at first glance, but idk what the dots are or why you would use it on a matrice where all the values are known.

Cramer’s rule is a way of solving a set of linear equations, but idk why you would do that on a matrice where there are no unknowns or why you’d do the funky way of calculating the determinant.

1 Like

yo no entiendo amigo

The golden ratio, represented by Φ, is approximately equal to 1.61803399. It is defined as (sqrt(5) + 1) / 2. It is really cool because it has a bunch of weird properties.

One example is that it pops up in the Fibonacci sequence. The Fibonacci sequence defined (I think) as:

an = an-1 + an-2
a1 = 0
a2 = 1

The sequence looks like 0, 1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 13, 21, 34, 55, 89…

You can divide two adjacent numbers to get a number that approximates the golden ratio. For example, 8 ÷ 5 = 1.6 and 189 ÷ 55 = 1.61818… As you go further along the sequence, dividing two adjacent numbers in the sequence gives you a value closer and closer to the golden ratio.

The golden ratio has a bunch of weird properties, for example.

Φ-1 = 0.61803399 = Φ - 1
Φ2 = 2.61803399 = Φ + 1

Why does this work? I don’t understand.

Φ2 = Φ + 1
Φ3 = 2Φ + 1
Φ4 = 3Φ + 2
Φ5 = 5Φ + 3
Φ6 = 8Φ + 5
Φ7 = 13Φ + 8

Look at the constants and the coefficients. Just by raising the golden ratio to a power, we get not just one, but TWO FIBONACCI SEQUENCES. WHY? No other numbers are like this. I don’t understand.

1 Like

1 + 1 = 2’s proof