Rivals: An Upgrade

Rivals: An Upgrade
effort 4.9 10 quality 4.916666666666667 12 reasonability 4.636363636363637 11

Build-a-bear! A murderous bear!

I like the idea of PvE island siege and Hero rival. Current rival is just a slightly more boosted Nimbus NPC, saved to a character slot. They don’t feel unique anymore with higher level roaming NPCs dropping treasure charts all the same.

2 Likes

it should be like spell names instead of notes

yeah thats a better example, thats what i meant but i forgot you can name spells ngl

Yes finally rivals are no longer criminals but kinda special and they now feel like actual rivals and threats

Yea but once ur rep is set to neutral ur rival is reset

so? if you’re a good rep with a good rep rival just turn it into a friendly rivalry, like a “alright, let’s try some sparring!” or if you went from bad to good “hmm, so you’ve been trying to do good, have you? Glad to see it! But, I wanna see if your strength has grown alongside your morals. How about a spar, for old time’s sake?”. If your rival is a bit stubborn or hotheaded, it can easily be “So you’re a ‘good guy’ now aren’t you? Pfft, we both know it’s just an act. I can’t let a criminal like you bide your time before the next big heist!”

4 Likes

We really need something like this to take rivals to the next level lol

also they could still be good rep but not have a friendly rivalry it could be like a clash of ideals or something

Yeah that can be a good rep to good rep stubborn rival

Vetex watching as several people give their rival the title “Black Monkey”

Hell yeah

“Dangerous criminal Holden the Balls have been spotted near Sailors’ Lodge, often going inside to stay for the night.”
^people will make that shit up

byrd the bird

I like the idea of adding more depth to rivals, it’s a nice system for players who want a challenge. One thing I wish that vetex would address, however, is the fact that rivals can attack anyone that stumbles across them. If they remained in areas that suited their level, then it wouldn’t be much of an issue. But when a level 185 rival follows a max level to the bronze sea and spawns at limestone key for example, then there is suddenly the possibility for an enemy over the current level cap to annihilate a new player at level 40 just trying to explore. In my opinion, the rival ships in this suggestion could provide an elegant solution with a few tweaks. Land battles with rivals would stay in the furthest sea you’ve reached so far, however they will occasionally sail to your location if you return to the bronze sea, for example.

1 Like

simple solution: npcs shouldnt naturally attack people who are either
A. 75+ levels below them
B. half their level
C. both
e.g. if im level 25 level 50+ npcs shouldnt attack me and if im level 100 level 175 npcs shouldnt attack me
they should say something like “Tch… You’re too weak, get out of my sight.” and then start a 15 second timer
if the player doesn’t get out of the npc’s line of sight then the npc will aggro onto the player

3 Likes

I feel like this is the closest we’ll get to the best-case-scenario, not saying that’s what my suggestion is btw. It’s still annoying to have to rejoin and sail back to an island because an insurmountable enemy designed for somebody stronger than you decided to spawn there.

Rivals could be so much more than they are now. People shouldn’t forget about their Rivals!

1 Like

Sign this man immediately. He has cooked. Also a good secondary feature could be if an alternate NPC (Such as marines) interrupts, then your rival will attack the incoming interlopers instead while you and your rival gain a shield against eachother (To add an extra layer of depth to the rivavlry so it feels actually alive.)

3 Likes

Randomness cooking as always

1 Like

y e s .

Rivals are such a cool feature and it sucks that the only time you ever interact with them is when you are specifically hunting them down (which, as of current, is no longer as special since the formerly exclusive treasure charts are now avaliable to all high level NPCs) or when you randomly stumble across them while looting an island they can spawn on.

Only reason I could see this not happening is because vetex has more important things to flesh out and polish.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.