The theoretical worth of sunkens vs boss items

people. overpay. alot. for sunkens. they either severely underpay or they severely overpay. Today I’m going to debunk the myth of what sunkens are actually worth in comparison to boss items.

alright, so we know the chance for a sunken item is ~1/2000, depending on what fishing rod you use. instead of comparing chance, (1/2000 vs 1/10), we need to compare the time it takes to get each item. Because that is the correct way to measure the rarity/difficulty of getting an item.

Lets first measure the time it takes to catch a fish. Using a Luring Collectors’, I was able to hook a fish within 20 seconds. This may vary, depending on what rod you use, including if you catch a bigger fish, you might need a few seconds longer to reel in. So lets say it takes 25 seconds on average to catch a fish.

1/2000 per 25 seconds - sunken

Now lets measure the time it takes to hunt a boss. The boss can spawn anywhere on the map, so lets say it takes around 2 minutes to get to the boss. Assuming you’re a hardcore player and you solo the boss (to get the full 1/10 chance), it takes around an average of 3 minutes to kill a boss. Now, assuming the boss respawns at an average of 2 minutes every time it dies (keep in mind, you can also server hop to make this alot quicker), our total time taken to kill a boss is 8 minutes. 8 minutes is 480 seconds.

1/10 per 480 seconds - boss

Do you see the difference here? Even though sunkens have a way rarer chance, the time it takes to actually fish one is very short compared to the 8 minute process of killing a boss. Now if we were to make the chances of a boss item down to 1/2000 (divide by 200), we would also need to
decrease the time it takes to get it. 480 divided by 200 gives 2.4 seconds.

1/2000 per 25 seconds - sunken
1/2000 per 2.4 seconds - boss

Dividing 25 by 2.4 gives around 10. So, there you have it ladies and gentlemen. A sunken item is worth 10 boss items.

Aha! But lets not forget that sunken items are macro-able! This instantly devalues them so much. I’d say around 5-10 boss items at this point.

HOWEVER, this is not including the actual DEMAND for sunken items. Currently, the armor is the best armor in the game, and the sword is OP. So even though boss items can easily equate to their value, people would still want to overpay simply because sunkens are more useful than boss armors.

3 Likes

HOWEVER, I would honestly say that the demand for sunkens entirely compensates for the fact that they are marco-able.

CONCLUSION: 1 sunken item is worth 10 boss items.

this post was made because some retard I was trading thought that their sunken boots were worth 200 boss items.

@liu

n o

it’s literally a topic about trading, wdym no?

trading discussion is about trades themselves,
plus, it auto closes in 3 days.

so yeah, game discussion fits this.

Mm, that’s kinda dumb imo but aight

You also forget that with a Collector’s rod, the drop rate for sunken jumps down to 1/1667, and with a Magnetic Collector’s rod it’s 1/1337, almost double the base drop rate.

ah FRICK, THE TIMER DIDNT GO AAWAY

guides maybe?

Not like this discussion will last longer than that anyway (topics generally don’t). You can always make another

but you also forgot that their catch rates are really low.

What does that have to do with what I said…?

You use the base 1/2000 chance implying that you’d be using a Wooden Rod.

No one fishes with a Wooden Rod.

cuz time it takes to catch compensates for an increased chance to catch.

25-30 seconds is roughly the time it takes for a Magnetic Collector’s Rod to catch a fish.

Using 1/2000 with a 25 second interval would be innacurate.

im assuming not, because of this:

unless my life is lie and item chances have their own independent catch rate from ‘fish’ catch rate.

Again; nothing you are saying correlates with anything we are talking about. What do those enchantments have to do with anything right now?

You included a 25 second interval, which is roughly the time it takes for a Collector’s rod to catch something, while also including the drop rate for a wooden rod. No one would fish with an unenchanted wooden rod while trying to get Sunken.

im saying that a collector’s rod takes longer than that.

In my experience, a collector’s rod takes anywhere from 25-30 seconds per fish.