What do you dislike about AO, and how would you change it?

For the people talking about MC’s past, I feel like not getting any information in the Bronze Sea was very much the intention, and only by Nimbus Seasand beyond will we start getting information. Bronze Sea storyline feels more like an introduction to the story. We’re in the War Seas, and we haven’t even seen the “War” aspect of the seas, mainly cause only Ravenna is there. Also, in a post Vetex made on the progress of AO, the main description for the story emphasises on MC trying to recover their memories, implying that it will one of MC’s main objective throughout the story here.

There are hints towards MC’s personality? Well, the only hints was through Morden, his journal hinting that MC got into trouble often (a passage in his journal says “I hope they’re not in trouble again”), which could be why they were experimented on a lot more, and another hint was that they’re probs the type of person to do jokes in tough situations (if you choose “What happened?” when meeting Morden, his first reaction is that MC is playing dumb and doing a joke, which implies they do that sort of thing). Then again, the only time that MC showed this behaviour is right after defeating Elius, where you have a choice to say “Lol, I barely tried”. So yeah, not a lot to go off, but then again, a lot of the situations MC were in probs aren’t the best place for jokes, so idk how you show this.

I love the idea of having a journal that’s written by the MC that tells us their perspective on the story so far. I mean, if you lost your memories, you’d probably start writing everything that happened to you afterwards, so you wouldn’t forget again. (Someone post this as a suggestion or something)

Though, I also did have this idea that maybe this is how MC finds out about their past too, not just through memories, but they also come across some journals that they wrote in before they were captured, revealimg what happened to them, but not entirely the full story either, and that by going through each sea, we’d just find more of these and learn more about their past. But it was just a thought

1 Like

I agree, but Iris developing flare magic at a young age probably has lore importance though.

The meta never feels stable, and I know the first two people here said this but I want the deckhand system to be reworked before dark seas releases.

It’s so infuriating that the sweats and metamancers running around get access to such a crucial feature of exploration that helps make the game much more fun to explore. and metamancing is CRINGE, unless you made a meta file before the build became meta.

I’m praying we get things like deckhands wanting specific feats like saving castaways, sinking boats or other feats in the update because the changes need to happen now more than any other time.

I have considered an idea to revamp the fame and bounty system, making it a separate and optional pursuit exclusively for PvP enthusiasts. Currently, every player is categorized as either a good or bad reputation player, and I believe this integration of reputations into the game creates a situation where players are essentially compelled to hunt others for their fame or bounty in order to obtain rewards like deckhands. This lack of choice or ability to opt out is problematic, particularly for those who do not enjoy PvP or find it tedious, and especially when you are guaranteed to get fame by playing the game. As long as you possess fame or a bounty, which only PvP players are interested in, you become a target, regardless of your personal preferences.

If the system were detached from the core gameplay and transformed into an optional grind exclusively for PvP-focused players, limited to encouraging PvP interactions among themselves, it would be a positive change. While I do appreciate PvP or player interactions to some extent, I find the current integration of the bounty and fame system to be detrimental, as it turns every player into a target and promotes toxic behavior or situations.

4 Likes

I agree with the notion that the past of the main character (MC) will likely be gradually unveiled, and I appreciate the fact that we are not immediately provided with all the answers. It is also possible that the MC’s personality is intentionally ambiguous to allow players to engage in roleplaying and effectively assume the role of the MC, akin to games with non-voiced protagonists like Skyrim, for instance.

2 Likes

Needs more

I actually thought it might be in the dark sea, but idk if that would even be possible or make sense.

1 Like

It could be possible but how tf did we get to Dawn Island, this lab is honestly just a figment of our imagination tbh.

We were just in a accident but Morden is having delusions about some laboratory fr

1 Like

Cooking as a mechanic is completely unneccesary, and the game would be at least slightly better without it. The hunger bar itself is a nuisance that also manages to be invalidated by the fact that every island has some way to get food, whether it be from naturally spawning fruit, food crates, or from shopkeepers. Cooked food’s statuses can also be worked into potion brewing.

plz don’t kill me arlyborg

Personally, I believe most of my issues with AO are that it’s early access and its mechanics are not completely fleshed out, and that I’m not the correct target audience.

For me, I like AO because of customization, exploration, and in-game movement.

One of my concerns regarding the customization is that the really interesting customization for magic(shapes) are locked to pure mage. Shapes would let me make blasts have different purposes(Drill for damage when I know it’s guaranteed, Arrow for speed like a beam, ect). I love the idea between small and big blasts but that and the number of blasts fired being the only thing customizable is not that great.

The lack of space for spell customization makes it so I don’t every tool for any occasion(This is actually pretty good since I can pick and choose what I enjoy more and makes people different depending on what spells they pick) BUT with rare and lost spells being added it makes me worried because it just makes another problem with rng. I like the idea except right now the scrolls are useless to me(I don’t want Pulsar) so it doesn’t do anything for me. And if there are more than 8 scrolls or something you might end up replacing a rare spell with a lost one and so on, basically making the scroll you spent on yourself wasted. I love if pulsar for example, let me make 120% size blasts, even if it reduced damage. Even if it was like the fighting style mastery system where I had to use a ton of pulsars. At least it’d feel like I gained something from pulsar. (Unless of course having “consumed a scroll” means you can recreate the spell whenever.)

I’d much prefer the existing spells to be more flexible(Maybe set up spells on a timer for area denial or forcing the opponent to have a reason to deal with it in some way, multiple blasts fired simultaneously in a cone or line, arcing spells, whatever), but that literally means I can only play mage to interact with the interesting customization.

Which is a little problematic because I have no idea how beams and snares will get customization. I actually like the dynamic between single beam and dual beam(faster startup vs slower startup but more damage) but like, that’s one option(not to mention how it locks out a specific timing for firing spells which bothers me). Snare is something I’d be baffled as to how it’d even be customizable, so I’ll let it slide.

Then there is another problem: the tier system(or whatever it is that gives more size to my magic). I like the idea of a tiny magic that hits hard and fast, I feel cool. Except my spells increase in size only. I’d love if I could exchange that size for speed(even at the cost of damage or at an atrociously inefficient conversion) or at least get more option as to what the tier boosts. Maybe I wanna focus on status or something, I dunno. The only way I can is just armor which I guess is fine but like, sometimes I wanna be a cool earth mage with slow startup spells but good projectile speed and middling damage, lemmie do it so I don’t have to pick between aesthetic or gameplay style. Maybe as a light mage I want blind to last a bit longer and give a higher damage boost at the cost of my speed or damage so I’m rewarded for constant pressure kinda like thermo fist. Or maybe I just want blind to only increase my damage and not actually blind people(I think blind sounds unfun to play against personally, but that’s a story for another day). I just want something to make my magic fit me, not picking a magic that fits me. I think Earth is cool aesthetically, but gameplay wise it just isn’t my style(Also why are shapes unlocked so late, they are the most interesting customization feature except I have to live with Earth magic until I reach like lvl 110, I literally couldn’t do it).

I would very much like to invest in my magic stat except for the fact that the options I get are pretty limited (Personally I’d love a system where you could choose which spells you unlock at certain magic levels(tho do something like:“to learn beam you must have learnt 2 spells first”, “to learn aura you must have learnt and unlocked all options for 4 spells” so I can’t just rush a spell. Could also apply to pulsar in that you need to have unlocked aura and blast and gotten a decent amount of customization options for them.)) I would also love to invest into Vitality then, since the reward for magic is customization, except at that point the dynamic between stats would be disrupted so uh I’ll leave it alone since Vitality just isn’t finished.

Also: why can’t I just know how to cast spells with one hand from the start(casting style, where it seems to be only cosmetic?), why is that an unlock? Fighting styles(At least basic) don’t seem to have this restriction. And why can’t I make my second magic a variant of my first? I love aestetics, I’d love a blue fire(if only Inferno didn’t already exist) or a blue light or whatever.

I have lost my train of thought so uh oops. I had a conclusion, but I have forgot it. Something about how I want more customization probably.

Now, onto exploration(more like level gain): I’ll keep this “short”.
EXP is way too easy to get and I often max level before fort talos. This makes me concerned about the level scaling and exp gain during story missions but I genuinely don’t know if it’s because of how I play or the quests.
Other problem is how fishing can just stop giving exp for no reason. So can exploration tasks which makes sense but like, treasure charts exist, so it’s actually not that bad of a problem for exploration since I am encouraged to go to islands I’ve been before and I can just get a fetch quest regarding fruit on that island.
Basically at a certain point exp stops being gained from fishing and exploring unless you go and do a quest or treasure chart. This just tells me there isn’t much reason to go to old islands tho.

I think the abillity to cook is actually fine and I like it but hunger bar literally justs serves as a nuisance. If there was no hunger bar I probably wouldn’t bother cooking so I guess that’s why it exists like, what is the point of the bar. It’s just annoying. Kinda like how sharks take less damage from everything just so shark hunting attachments are used more.

I think the hunger bar’s intent was to encourage cooking and food but like it doesn’t? It worked for me but I don’t like it. I still wanna cook tho.

I could talk about the lack of replayability outside of PvP or the lag and bugginess, but that’s to be expected from a game so early into its life. Still Early Access, after all.

If there was one aspect of Arcane Odyssey that I’d truly say I dislike, it would be the reliance on trading and receiving assistance from others to achieve many goals, which will only grow more impactful in the future. Sure, you can get everything currently in the game on your own. It’d take many, many hours of grinding, but you can. Perfect Jewelcrafting will take a pretty absurd time sink without trading or help, but it’s possible to get done alone. Getting a perfect set of armor and enchants? Not too hard alone, if you’re committed to farming bosses and Galleons for a while.

But what about in the future? What happens when the Ancient magic or Legendary weapon you’ve been fantasizing about since the release of the game is locked behind a staggering tradewall? Even if you grind and grind and grind to get a drop of something high-tier on your own, who’s to say it’ll even be close to worth what you’re going for? The chances of even getting things like Ancient magics and Legendary weapons will already, presumably, be comically slim, so the chances of you being able to get what you actually want and achieve your end goals when we reach that point in the game are practically zero.

I don’t think trading should ever be required to achieve your goals in-game, nor should it be as massive as a shortcut as it is now. Only gunna get worse in due time, and I’m gunna feel pretty bad for the people who’ve been waiting to play their final setup since AO’s release, only to discover they’re simply not wealthy enough to chase it.

1 Like

I agree that it can be a bit tedious, but I do actually quite like the food system. I’d be perfectly fine with hunger being scrapped and food just giving buffs instead, but I really can’t complain too much about it overall. Is it a bit annoying? Sure. Does cooking a max-buff 400+ hunger meal feel nice? Definitely does.

I’ve never liked this game’s pvp much, ontop of generally just not liking the combat style for PvP, the game has so many different ways to prepare for fights that give you massive advantages with literally 0 player skill.

You have better armor? Massive advantage.
Better jewels? Noticable advantage
Recovery food? Massive advantage
Good potions? Massive advantage

There’s no such thing as a fair fight in an random encounter and there’s never going to be so what’s the point?

These things don’t harm the PvE aspect because its PvE, feeling like you’re gaining power is kinda the point.
The progression system for this game is NOT built for skillful combat and people have to go out of their way to not use those systems to have “fair fights”.
Does that not show a MASSIVE problem with bounty hunting, a system where you can force people into fights unprepared, aswell as similar systems and mechanics?

and this is all just 1v1 encounters, it only becomes more of a godawful mess when more players get involved.

also I really don’t like how sea monsters have practically nonexistent droprates if you’re not using the ship weapons.

why not just make the ship weapons the optimal way of hunting sea monsters instead of artificially forcing players to use them by obliterating their droprates?

5 Likes

With the recent brewing update another problem I’ve had are some potion reagents just being rarer than others for absolutely no reason.

Why the hell can I easily stock up on coal but if I want the scorch effect I have to find skyfire blooms for T1, why the hell is the T2 scorch reagent a legendary tier??? WHY is it on par with the promethean acrimony???
Same goes for the lightning reagents.
If I didn’t find fulgurite in a bag I wouldn’t be convinced it exists because I’ve LOOKED.
Glass pearls seem to spawn absolutely never when I can find 20 hoarfrost conches stacked ontop of each other at limestone.
The worst offenders for this are probably invisibility and blinding both being drops from an incredibly rare sea monster and you STILL need 5 of them each to make their respective potions.

I’m fine with not having any information about the MC right now, since it is only the beginning of the story. I just thought it was weird how the MC didn’t even try to find out who they were. I think it would’ve been better if we had the dialogue option to ask Morden who we were back at Dawn Island, with him being pretty distant and jaded, maybe even a little bit snappy with his refusal to talk about anything that happened at the lab. Another opportunity could come up when we meet him back at Sailor’s Lodge, and he promises to talk to us about it when we get a chance…but then, of course, he ditches us to go find the Death Curse. And after that, there’s not any time to talk, dealing with Calvus and all, and then Morden is out of it for a while. That could be a source of internal conflict and frustration for the MC, and add depth to their character. I just think it could’ve been handled a bit better, you know? If, like you said, Vetex intends for the MC to get their memories back, what’s stopping them from at least trying in the Bronze Sea? Oversight on Vetex’s part? Maybe because the game’s still in Early Access? I don’t know. I would’ve preferred if we had the option to try and find out but were stopped for obvious reasons (it’s only the first sea), than to not have the option at all.

There’s only a rare few times where we are given multiple ways to answer someone. It’d be neat if those responses were recorded or “remembered” by other characters and could affect our relationship with them. I’m not talking about romance, of course, because I don’t think that’s appropriate for Roblox :sweat_smile:. I have no idea if something like that could be implemented, but it’d be pretty cool if it could.

That’s actually a good idea, having the MC possess a journal from before they lost their memories. Maybe it got damaged during their escape, so there’s not much left of it. That’d be a nice way to give us a bit of lore without spoiling the MC’s backstory. Some have said that the main storyline quest descriptions are sort of our “journal.” That’s pretty neat, but I’d definitely like for it to be converted into an actual journal that gets stuff added to it as we progress through the story.

1 Like

-How little personalities animations have, most of them have characters that barely move, for example when u spy on argos, he is talking, but he only moves a bit, the figures look like they stay still, they dont react based on what each other says, they dont show their personalities in movement, i wish they were better

Bosses, pretty long

-most boss battle dont teach u new stuff, shura and iris can be beaten while holding m1 and/or spamming magic, elius is the only skill check, bosses should check what u learned, imo:

-Shura teach you how how to dodge and punish spamming

-Iris should teach you how to block/parry, giving u a attack window to attack back

-Elius imo already teaches u to pay attention and react, but u arent teached how to dodge, block and parry since why elius seems so hard

-argos imo is good, it req u to parry/block, u have to react like how elius teaches u, i think he is a good skill check

-carina just fails at everything, idk what even her role is? skill check the player? teach the player smt new? her dmg is so low and her second phase adds nothing

-Calvus, Calvus is S tier, he tries his best to kill u, u need to dodge, react, learn patterns, parry/block, wait for a opportunity to attack, he is the final boss of that sea so he should test everything

to add u dont see their personalities, for example iris is tempered but u dont see that in the fight, she is just a mage npc, that all

-NPC mages, why are they so. god. damn. accurate. why are npc in general so accurate, why cant vetex add some small offsets

calvus > any other boss, that a fact

I’m not gonna lie I like that part of games, but that’s mostly because I used to play GPO and before BR it was a trading card game instead of a One Piece game