What do you dislike about AO, and how would you change it?

yup hard agree let them try and let them fail, then they can choose to explore more content of their own volition to help them overcome whatever barrier is stopping them from progressing,

i get that vet wants people to ‘‘explore’’ but forced exploration isn’t a great idea, it just has people xing out or dropping the game out of frustration

Some form of “guide” should be given to new players in the game, maybe in the form of hints (though I have no idea how many people actually read those). After a few replays of the game, I found out that you can actually get a lot of exp early on, and essentially get to level 50 (or 60 if you wanted) before you even touch the Stepstones. The problem is that, other than a little message telling you that you have new quests available on such-and-such island, there’s no hinting at what else you can do to level up. This could be due to the short attention span or impatience of certain new players, or it could be because there’s not enough “hand-holding” at the beginning of the game. I like story games, so I’m usually very attentive to the small details and hints, but even then, half the time it felt like I had no idea what I was doing. So the only thing that saved me from completely screwing myself over on my first build was my tendency to research aspects of games when I play them. Even then, I abandoned that file and went for a mage out of simplicity (and I eventually used the free stat reset we got for the Underwater update to make my first incomplete file a warlord). A little breakdown of builds would be helpful, because they aren’t even mentioned until you talk to Warren at Wind-Row about getting an awakening, and by then the window to reset your stats has been long gone.

1 Like

delete fighting styles, high jump, musket and poison dagger. Game is cured

Ooh, I’d love to read the document should you make it!

My biggest problem with the story is that the main character feels too much like a blank canvas. Now, I don’t think it’s a problem that they are a blank canvas, but that they’re too much like one. They don’t feel like a person, but a plot device that moves the story along. They don’t have room to develop their personality because we don’t get the opportunity to explore it, whether it be through choices, or dialogue interactions with other characters. I don’t know how many people here have played Knights of the Old Republic or Knights of the Old Republic: The Sith Lords, but they (especially the second game) are an incredible example of how to make your character feel like their own person with a unique relationship with each supporting character. I get that this is a Roblox game, so if no measures are implemented or able to be added to improve the lacking characterization of the main character, I understand. But it still goes to show that there’s a lack of development from every character in the game. This could be because the storyline’s not finished, but even so, what we have right now is underwhelming and could be greatly improved.

An example would be when we meet Morden at Dawn Island. From our interaction with him, it’s clear he’s got baggage and trauma, and it’s understandable why he would want to head out by himself for a while. But he’s the last connection the MC has with their past, so why in the world would they not even make an effort to fish that information out of him before he presumably falls of the face of the earth? Between Dawn Island and Sailor’s Lodge, there’s no indication of where he is or what he’s doing, and there’s no way for us to contact him. I find it really lackluster that the MC has this sort of unexplained and Chosen One-y sense of justice, but when Morden essentially tells them to screw off and find their own way in the world even though they have amnesia, the MC just says “ok” and goes along with it. It’s very anticlimactic and downright frustrating. I get why the story wants the MC’s backstory to be mysterious and all, but at least have them try to figure it out.

Right now I think we should reduce the aoe on most skills cause at this rate by the time we reach max level we’ll have warriors using tempest with the aoe of a whole island

One thing that could reveal some of our past can be flashbacks.

Example:
When we get caught and dragged to the eternal mines we get flashing images from our perspective that could show us what the labs looked like or even briefly demonstrate the experiments we went through.
After all, being chained up in a VERY limited environment, having restricted movement and wearing a potato sack for clothes would hit you a little too close to home. That would litteraly be the perfect trigger for a flashback.

As for our characterisation we could have optional dialogue.
Example:
Someone could ask us about our motivations regarding taking down the Order and we could give a heartfelt speech based on which motivation you pick. Your motivations could be selfish, selfless or justice driven. (Besides, it could pave a way for multiple endings)

That probably would be tough af to implement into a game, let alone a Roblox game, but I still consider this a better choice than having a blank slate for the MC

6 Likes

100% that agree the hints aren’t enough for the average player, journal type system would be nice and help people keep track of everything that’s happened (half of us didn’t even know where neviro came from lol) i’d love if the player had a journal similar to mordens that we can read at the throughout the game

hints are just missed 90% of the time, shit even having them be more obvious and pop up centre screen when it comes to unlocking quests would do wonders

4 Likes

this is a really fun idea but i have no clue if we’ll even get multiple endings like WOM was planned to have since this game is much more linear :crossed_fingers: fingers crossed tho

really liked the flashback trigger idea too

1 Like

That…would be brilliant, honestly. The fact that we get not even a tidbit of our past is pretty ridiculous. I just can’t seem to understand why we never got a chance to talk to Morden about it and try and get information out of him. It’s just weird. If Vetex wants it to remain mysterious, that’s fine, but being stingy with information is not how you should go about things :sweat_smile:, at least from a writing perspective. Sprinkling details throughout the story is the best way to keep people hungry for more.

1 Like

And part of the reason people don’t read hints is because they’re of the younger demographic. I tried to get my 10 year old cousin into the game, but since he’s, well, 10, he’s not very invested in the story and skipped through all the dialogue.

1 Like

yup agree the general roblox demo is around that age but personally i love the amount of text (probably since i grew up reading every line in pokemon games lol) but even my older friends just skip through the dialogue and disregard the story to get to the ‘‘endgame’’ so it’s not just an age issue as much as a lack of show not tell,

even late teens won’t want to read pages and pages of dialogue, more cutscene type things, like that one single scene where we get a pan of the curses, more like that could help with story engagement (for example seeing the keep actually being blown apart by the old king when they mention it)

3 Likes

fps drops. I cant punch without a frame drop, the best ive gotten is 40, this is the same fps I get from playing monster hunter world. Its a roblox game. None of my friends can play because their pc’s will blow up from the title screen alone :moyai: This sort of tomfoolery persists to my pvp where my inputs lag behind, its very unreliable.

also idk if vertex has done any of these for lag issues, probably important
the way things are loading into the game is just wack.

1 Like

Ngl it makes me wonder where we were being experimented at? I thought it’d show up or be mentioned later in the story but nope.

It can’t be in the Nimbus sea otherwise how tf did we get to Dawn Island, maybe Fort Castrum is planned to be the lab and that’s why it keeps getting delayed?

1 Like

It makes me sad how many people just disregard the story. It’s clear much effort went into it, yet people just skip past it entirely :pensive:. I get doing that on your second and third play through, but the first? That’s just disrespectful, in my opinion. But, I guess short attention spans are just a product of age and how we use technology.

2 Likes

Who knows? I thought the place we’d been kept at was west of Dawn Island, but I guess not since there’s nothing on the map there. I’d still guess it was, even if it wasn’t added, since the rowboats are in the little cove on the western shore of the island.

At one point I had the idea that a lab might be somewhere in the Pelion rift. Like a large cave system inside of it or a structure facing the dark sea. Not sure about it now, though

For the people talking about MC’s past, I feel like not getting any information in the Bronze Sea was very much the intention, and only by Nimbus Seasand beyond will we start getting information. Bronze Sea storyline feels more like an introduction to the story. We’re in the War Seas, and we haven’t even seen the “War” aspect of the seas, mainly cause only Ravenna is there. Also, in a post Vetex made on the progress of AO, the main description for the story emphasises on MC trying to recover their memories, implying that it will one of MC’s main objective throughout the story here.

There are hints towards MC’s personality? Well, the only hints was through Morden, his journal hinting that MC got into trouble often (a passage in his journal says “I hope they’re not in trouble again”), which could be why they were experimented on a lot more, and another hint was that they’re probs the type of person to do jokes in tough situations (if you choose “What happened?” when meeting Morden, his first reaction is that MC is playing dumb and doing a joke, which implies they do that sort of thing). Then again, the only time that MC showed this behaviour is right after defeating Elius, where you have a choice to say “Lol, I barely tried”. So yeah, not a lot to go off, but then again, a lot of the situations MC were in probs aren’t the best place for jokes, so idk how you show this.

I love the idea of having a journal that’s written by the MC that tells us their perspective on the story so far. I mean, if you lost your memories, you’d probably start writing everything that happened to you afterwards, so you wouldn’t forget again. (Someone post this as a suggestion or something)

Though, I also did have this idea that maybe this is how MC finds out about their past too, not just through memories, but they also come across some journals that they wrote in before they were captured, revealimg what happened to them, but not entirely the full story either, and that by going through each sea, we’d just find more of these and learn more about their past. But it was just a thought

1 Like

I agree, but Iris developing flare magic at a young age probably has lore importance though.

The meta never feels stable, and I know the first two people here said this but I want the deckhand system to be reworked before dark seas releases.

It’s so infuriating that the sweats and metamancers running around get access to such a crucial feature of exploration that helps make the game much more fun to explore. and metamancing is CRINGE, unless you made a meta file before the build became meta.

I’m praying we get things like deckhands wanting specific feats like saving castaways, sinking boats or other feats in the update because the changes need to happen now more than any other time.

I have considered an idea to revamp the fame and bounty system, making it a separate and optional pursuit exclusively for PvP enthusiasts. Currently, every player is categorized as either a good or bad reputation player, and I believe this integration of reputations into the game creates a situation where players are essentially compelled to hunt others for their fame or bounty in order to obtain rewards like deckhands. This lack of choice or ability to opt out is problematic, particularly for those who do not enjoy PvP or find it tedious, and especially when you are guaranteed to get fame by playing the game. As long as you possess fame or a bounty, which only PvP players are interested in, you become a target, regardless of your personal preferences.

If the system were detached from the core gameplay and transformed into an optional grind exclusively for PvP-focused players, limited to encouraging PvP interactions among themselves, it would be a positive change. While I do appreciate PvP or player interactions to some extent, I find the current integration of the bounty and fame system to be detrimental, as it turns every player into a target and promotes toxic behavior or situations.

4 Likes