Why magic is bad for Humanity Part 2: Electric Boogaloo

this is how you answer

yes

wait, cant people make stuff with magic, like if someone has metal they can make metal structures to repair things?

edit: found out you can make buildings with magic so I don’t see property damage being too big of a deal, they probably don’t want to keep doing it all the time which is why they fine you for it, but if no one can pay they probably hire some magic users to repair stuff.

Also this power imbalance thing can be shown in real life. ever heard of school shootings where a person takes out 10-20 people in under a few minutes? yeah this is nothing like magic but the other thing is that usually people don’t get that strong from magic. Theos was seen as a prodigy and Durza had the most broken curse besides Promethean flame. Other than that I feel as though humans could still reach superhuman capabilities in this world. It is shown that a normal human can become as strong as Minotaur. Imagine someone developed a fighting style based on the impact fist and just went to town on a village. What is gonna stop him? a gun? I don’t think so.

Magius in 2020
#nomagiclivesmatter before getting incenerated by a magic council

1 Like

I know, it’s not. No matter how many school shooters there are, it dosen’t compare to the amount of damage one well-trained magic user could do. You even say so.

Just because we have a power imbalance here, doesn’t justify the huge gap between the weak and the strong there. Here, power is bound by popularity and money. There, people who somehow work themselves up without getting killed can literally destroy the world if they want to, and it’s not like normal people can stop them. Normal people here have very little “real” power, which means that every place will eventually be controlled by an elite group of extremely powerful magic users, as I discussed in my last post.

So, I’ve actually talked about this in my last post but, having that much power concentrated in a few people is not a good idea. While some are good, many have been shown to be, if not evil, then selfish, and use that power only for themselves. What good is a revolution if the king posses a sea curse, right?

alabama/ medieval england

You clearly don’t know greek lore or else you’d know that Chaos was the origin of everything. So it’s also the origin of all good in the world and this argument is dumb because it also empowers you by how good you are.

No, only certain seas

Oil does the same. Plastic does the same. Nuclear Bombs do even worse than magic pollution.

You need to realize that even the most catastrophic events shown in AA won’t beat a few nukes, and saying “Ohh but they’re regulated,” is dumb because AA has less curse users and insane wizards than people with the nuclear launch codes.

Except canonically threats don’t happen this often, threats are supposedly rare considering all metalworkers get a fully grown adult to take their place every time.

The world didn’t blow up, a few seas just got destroyed. (And they’re just a big island so a few nukes could do the same)

I don’t think you can make anything permanent with magic unless you have a curse. We know that stuff like magical gold dissipates after a while, but for example, Judgement’s Isle from AA was made by a metal curse user yet persisted through time.

Just gonna throw in some corrections here

While this may be true in Greek mythology, the Arcane lore doc explicitly states that:

The origin of magic is a malevolent and evil force known as Chaos, and varying amounts of it are spread all throughout the universe. This energy is somewhat sentient, can be manifested through evil thoughts, and is heavily attracted to pure evil beings.

So unless AO brings changes to the lore doc that makes the above not apply, the Arcane universe’s version of Chaos leans towards evil.

Now the above point is a bit more muddy given the introduction of the War Seas. As you pointed out, because of them, it’s possible that Durza’s attack didn’t damage the whole world and wipe out 80% of human life as the lore document said.

However, the lore document (and a book from AA) implies that the islands in the Seven Seas islands used to be joined into one bigger continent before Durza’s attack. While we don’t know how big it was, it’s safe to assume that it was rather substantial in size.

As a real life reference point, the explosion of Krakatoa was estimated to be equal to 200 megatons of TNT, 4 times bigger than the most powerful nuke detonated (Tsar Bomba at 50 megatons). Over 2/3 of the Krakatoa island (~30 km^2 of ~45 km^2 total) were wiped off the map from that explosion. But that amount of land is almost nothing, for comparison the smallest island of Hawaii is 115 km^2, far bigger than Krakatoa.

Tl;dr of the above: What I’m getting at is that you would need an enormous amount of power to split even a relatively small continent into various islands. So even if Durza’s attack didn’t damage the whole world anymore, it would still have been far more powerful than anything we have dished out yet.

and now I ask myself if that research was worth it

If you check the official lore document, it proves my point. I’ll link it at the end.

Pretty sure turning the mainland into a bunch of islands is pretty major. This presumably affected the War Seas as well, seeing as they are islands.

I don’t see how that makes magic any better though?

There is a difference between weapons that need massive planning and money to create, vs some dude touching a cube and just deciding to do whatever he wants with it.

You guys keep throwing out the nuke argument, even though it’s completely different. Nukes, while extremely dangerous, are regulated, and kept in check with failsafes. This isn’t a government deciding with multiple people whether to launch or not, it’s one person capable of doing it anytime. It is much, much worse.

can someone make resume of this for me ? i don’t really wanna read it, alreday got bored after 4 lines

:frcryin:

Just realized like half of this is me making fun of @Dragon lmao

1 Like

was gonna read it but that just turned my peanut attention span off

1 Like

ItsHim
Honey, you’ve got a big storm coming.

2 Likes

Are these threads supposed to be an argument? Because I thought it was pretty obvious that magic is MUCH worse for the world than if they didn’t have it - seeing as how the world was nearly completely destroyed twice, the sea and skies are full of magic energy pollution, creatures are being mutated by it, and an entire group of seas has warred over sea curses for hundreds of years

Also about the evil wizards being able to completely wipe out towns thing - this is more of a gameplay issue, in a real world with magic you’d have to assume there would always be guards and such, plus if you did this you’d get imprisoned for decades or executed, not just jailed for 10 minutes and released lol

18 Likes

Just want to say that tech is not the only person that makes the entirety of the lore it’s probably more like vetex with tech’s help

2 Likes

Ya that was on me, editing my reply

If it was strong enough to reach the other side of the planet it would’ve done much more than just split the 7 seas into islands and cause an extreme amount of magic pollution.

It doesn’t, it’s just pointing out that pollution will always happen in some form.

I don’t see why a government like AG wouldn’t be able to punish a curse user efficiently. Unless it’s some broken external curse they just need to shove him into the sea, the only reason Durza even got strong was because the One Shot Pirates and AG ignored him and I don’t think governments with magic would ignore someone who destroyed 80% of the Seven Sea’s population.

That one person touching the cube might become extremely powerful but it’s far from impossible to regulate. Like what the war seas did, major governments would search everywhere for these cubes and lock them up only to use them as weapons in wars, similar to controlling a nuke.

Though Vetex intended it to be worse for humanity so :man_shrugging:

I made the entire lore doc, AA storyline, and AO storyline so far, tech helps with character/island backstories, themes, boss attack ideas, books, and helps/adds ideas for the storylines. Idk why so many people think tech wrote all of the lore and I’m just the coder :neutral_face:

10 Likes

I thought so just because he’s creator of the riddles and seems to know the most about the lore.

Yeah, there are still some people out there who don’t agree. Thank you for replying, however!

1 Like