Zel's Art Progression/Doodle Thread

Day 200 Gesture

The last year I really haven’t made any improvement due to lack of consistency really trying to change that this year

Any advice on drawing daily and improving would be greatly appreciated

5 Likes

I disagree—your anatomy’s more consistent than it used to be. In your older practices you sometimes had various parts displaced and the like. You have improved. Don’t think otherwise.

1 Like

Day 201 Torsos
Gonna work on some discipline so I can post daily and post some doodles too (maybe even a request idk)

3 Likes

Son of the god of discipline approves.

1 Like

Been working on a design for deepwoken’s armor contest

5 Likes

Day 202 Bodies again yayyyy

2 Likes

boobies :pray: :innocent:

Day 203
Imma be real I feel like I know I have so much to practice but idk how so I just end up drawing bodies

2 Likes

Have a try at doing gesture drawings, I usually do 10 thirty second pieces and 10 one minute pieces every day, and if I’m feeling like it 5 two minute drawings.

here are some examples of what I do:
30 seconds:

60 seconds:

I also wrote some notes on gesture drawing from what I’ve learned (below)

Overview

When gesture drawing your main goal is to get the feeling of a pose.

When looking at a figure pay close attention to the hips, torso, and head. Overtime this will improve your observational skills as well as your speed and efficiency when drawing.

To begin, draw a line through from the head down to the foot holding the majority of the weight of the figure (just guess it’ll get easier later).

Then form a stick figure, circle of the head, line for the collarbone, line for the spine, connect to hips, then add arms and legs.

Once you begin measuring, erasing, or otherwise improving the drawing, you have ceased to gesture-draw and begun rendering. So keep this in mind.

Landmarks

Being able to locate what are the important landmarks of the figures are is very useful for quickly capturing their gesture. Previously, paying attention to the hips torso and head have been mentioned but these can be looked at deeper.

Look for bony points, things that stay consistent between a lot of people. Such as:

Hips

• the front of the pelvis

Torso

• the sternum
  • How long is the ribcage
  • Collar bones

Head

• The brow line, and how it relates to the top of the ear
  • How is the cranium tilted?

Helpful videos

• Gesture drawings help prevent drawings from feeling stiff.
  • When given enough time, try and add the expression of the figure you are drawing as well.
  • Since you are going for the feel of the pose, feel free to change it up to make it more clear, or exaggerate further.
  • Level 1: Idle/Balanced Poses, keep character void of detail for as long as possible until you are happy with the pose, loose lines.
    • Offsets: Break symmetry, such as tilting shoulders and hips in opposite directions can make the pose more dynamic.
    • Center of Mass: Imaginary line that splits the character where the weight is on both sides, only matters when character is on the ground.
    • Face away from camera.
  • Level 2: Action poses, poses that happen during an action
    • Flow: break down pose into curves, rising from the ground.
    • Silhouette: Not all dynamic poses look good, sometimes it can be modified a bit to improve how it looks.
  • Level 3: 3 Dimensionality
    • [[Perspective]]
    • Foreshortening
  • Level 4: High field of view, stretches perspective which adds dynamism
  • Level 5: Framing
  • Level 6: Secondary motion, anything that moves due to motion or an exterior force. Such as hair
4 Likes

Holy crap that’s the most detail reply I’ve seen in a minute thanks

Day 204-205
Hands and bones
I hate drawing both of them I suck so bad at em :sob:

4 Likes

Day 206
How the fuck do I do good figure drawing

3 Likes

kidnap a human and make them pose for you

dont tell the police i said this

Alternative option get a gf (impossible :sob:)

Yeah I’ve been really inconsistent when it comes to drawing which I’ve stated multiple times but uh I tired do an academic comeback with my Spanish class so I took a break however it still didn’t happen but at least I passed ig

Also here’s a wip of a member of my crew Noble

3 Likes

Noble? Noblesymphony?
fucking NOBLE PROPAGANDA!!!

NO, ZEL, NO SMOKING!

THINK OF THE CHILDREN, DON’T BE A BAD INFLUENCE!

Like the sword, tho

1 Like

Yes, Zel, more smoking! Be a good influence on the children!

i drew Iris smoking a joint once, pretty sure its fine lol

1 Like

Fuck them kids bro idgaf about them

The noble guild is actually a simp guild for her just like the church of Iris trust

epic forum quoted