A General Synopsis on Curses ~ Vol 1

A General Synopsis on Curses ~ Vol 1

(Cover made by @Crimsonpants , Big thanks to him!!)

WARNING: This volume, and series as a whole will have quite gruesome and disturbing descriptions, if you are sensitive or grossed out to anything like this, I would tread with caution

Entry 1 (Y1855 M6 D23)

The Wood Curse

The wood curse allows the holder to manipulate the element of wood.

Obtained by a group of 20 Ravenna Ensigns, 3 centurions, Captain Benedict, and General Argos Y1847 M5 D13

VAULT CONDITIONS:

Vault Diameter: 20m x 20m x 8m

Last Maintenance: Y1855 M3

Danger Level: Relatively high

The Wood Curse’s vault, known as “Spina Castello,” stands as a stone half sphere. At its core lies the Wood Curse, surrounded by a mesmerizing array of tube-like structures reminiscent of a massive tree’s lower half. Each “tube” or “trunk” boasts an collection of razor-sharp thorns. The deeper one ventures into the domain, the denser the concentration of thorns become, and the tighter the space becomes. Its appearance takes after that of oak wood.

The thorns grow in length whenever any is pierced by them, making them difficult to pull out the longer something is pierced by them. This has makes it arduous and simply not worth the effort of trying to retrieve bodies of past subjects, making it’s domain littered with corpses. Maintenance is to happen every 2 months to prevent overgrowth.

Corpses left alone for over a year will begin to convert all matter into grotesque relics of wood and bone…

RECORDED EXPERIMENTS:

Dylan Nett

Y1855 M6 D24

Subject is a prisoner held in the eternal mines by ravenna
37 Year old male.
Unable to use magic.

Overseen By: 5 Order Agents, Officer Kagemori, Officer Raven, Myself.

Subject has been given instructions to touch a thorn-less surface of some of the curse’s trunk and keep their hand their for a prolonged period of time

LOG

Subject has entered the Vault.

Dylan: “PLEASE!! Will I really see my family after this?! I’ve been falsely imprisoned for so long… I was told by Sir Revora himself that I-”

Raven: “Silence. A pardon awaits you from King Calvus IV himself. Follow our directions. Walk through the vault until you encounter a wooden surface without thorns. Do not dare to touch any thorns or disobey any commands or face immediate decapitation.”

Raven’s dull and monotone voice reverberates around the roomt. Kagemori observes in silence.
The 5 agents, Officer Raven, and I enter the room. The roles have already been defined—to observe and issue orders to the subject.
The Subject successfully navigates through the domain and asks if the surface before him is the surface. Raven confirms. He shuffles slowly towards the surface uncomfortably and nervously

Raven: “Place your hand on the surface. You will place your hand on the surface until you are given the order to remove it. Removing your hand before instructed or violating any protocols given will result in immediate termination.”

The subject lowers his head in fear and obediently places his hand on the surface.

Over the course of 4 hours, the subject abides, his hand firmly gripping the wooden surface, under the watchful eyes of Raven and the agents.
I notion to raven that it is time for us to go. The experiment has concluded
Raven: “You may remove your hand from the surface. Leave the domain.”

The subject breathes a sigh of relief and bursts into tears of joy. As we move towards the exit of the vault, one of the agents watching the subject suddenly exclaims:

Agent 1: “Did you not hear Officer Raven? You are to leave domain with US.”

As I turn around, the subject’s once joyful face twists into pure terror.

The subject desperately attempts to pull his hand away, but it clings relentlessly to the wood.

Agent 2: “What the?!” He attempts to pry the subjects hand off of the wood, to no avail.

I approach the subject. Inspecting his hand, I notice tiny spots of wood on his palm.

Raven: “Tch. I’ll take care of this”

Officer Raven walks towards the subject, drawing his katana, preparing to sever his arm.

Dylan: “Are you gonna s-slice of my hand with your sword?!!? PLEase NO SIR DON’T JUST GIVE ME A MINUTE!!”

“Lower your weapon, Officer Raven.”

Officer Raven turns back to face me, expressing clear confusion on his face.

This is the perfect chance to collect information.

“Leave him here. I wish to see the results of these early growths. Lets go”

The subject’s face contorts with fear, concern, and growing panic.

Raven: “As you command Lord Azurebloom.” He sheaths his blade

As we walk out the subject pleads desperately

Dylan: “WAIT PLEASE!! WHAT DO YOU MEAN LEAVE ME HERE?!?! PLEASE I JUST WANT TO SEE MY CHILDREN AND WIFE!! PLEASE YOUR PROMISED THAT I WOULD GET A PARDON I JUST WANT TO GO PLEASE DON’T LEAVE ME HERE I DON’T WANT TO PLEASE PLEA-”

The vault door shuts behind us, the subject’s anguished cries fading as we exit. I await the results in three days.

3 Days Later

Me and three agents have returned to the vault. Navigating the path previously used, some of the patterns on the tubes have changed.

We arrive at the destination

Agent 1: “Hades be!!"

Agent 3: “Im gonna be sick…”

We are met with quite the gruesome sight
The subject has multiple large splinters protruding from his skin, likely piercing vital organs. His eyes have been hollowed out, and his hand has metamorphosed into solid wood.
“I believe this concludes this experiment. Agent 1, I expect you to send orders to High Lord Calvus IV to have ensigns report on the subjects conditions”

Agent 1: “Yes sir…”

We walk out the room

END OF TESTING

Jones

Y1855 M6 D29

Subject is a recent prisoner held in the eternal mines by ravenna
19 Year old male.
Unable to use magic.

Overseen By: 3 Order Agents, Officer Raven, Myself.

Subject has been uncuffed and will be watched by us 7. They have been given a torch enhanced with potent fire magic. They are to burn the remains of Dylan Nett, a previous subject.

LOG

Jones: “I’m in hell…”

The subject is grumbling to himself about how he will escape and his condition.

“Enter the vault” I command

Jones: “And if i don’t?” he attempts to rebuttal in a nervous, broken, and snarky tone

Raven uses his technique and appears to almost teleport behind the subject, instantly taking out his katana and holding it to the subjects throat.

Raven: “I suggest watching your tone. I won’t hesitate to remove your head from your body if you show even a shred of disrespect to one of us once again. This is your final warning”

Jones: “…” *He tries to open his mouth to speak, but he chokes and a single word wont come out

“That is enough of this useless exchange. Let us proceed”

Raven: “As you command, Lord Azurebright”

“I told you to drop the whole “Lord thing”, lighten up a bit officer. It’s not I’m gonna kill you or anything”

Raven remains silent

“We will now enter the vault, let’s go”

The subject and us enter the domain. The patterns of tubes from before has definitely shifted. The path has been blocked by various tubes of wood and thorns. Further testing will be required

Jones: “So you want me to set a statue on fire or something of that matter? Sure. As long as i can get out of this place i really don’t care”

Nobody responds

As we navigate carefully through our old path, cutting down the thinner tubes, we finally reach our destination. The corpse of Dylan Nett has completely turned into wood.

“Well, go ahead, set the statue on fire”

Jones: “m’kay” He holds the torch to the statue

It does not set ablaze immediately, but after waiting a few moments, the fire finally engulfs the wooden corpse in a blazing inferno. It turns to ash, leaving nothing behind but charred remains.
Well, that seems to conclude testing.

“Lets head on back, It seems that nothing will really happen. I want to go home already”

Raven is walks up him in silence, about to punish him before suddenly-

!!!

RRIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIPP!!

Jones and two of the agents are suddenly impaled by a massive thorn, the deadly spike piercing through their skulls. It happens within what feels like an instant. Raven, the remaining agent, and I stand in silence, witnessing the horrifying spectacle before us.

This is precisely why I must continue my research. One cannot simply dive into the territory of a curse expecting to gain immense power without facing severe consequences.

END OF TESTING

19 Likes

Entry 2 (Y1855 M7 D14)

The Snow Curse

The snow curse allows the holder to manipulate the element of snow.

Obtained by a group of Captain Maximus, Captain Sirena, Centurion, General Argos, General Julian Y1853 M11 D27

VAULT CONDITIONS:

Vault Diameter: 10m x 7m x 4m

Last Maintenance: Y1854 M12 D28

Danger Level: None

The snow curse’s vault, known as “the snowglobe” is a tempered glass sphere created by General Julian of the Bronze Legion. The Domain of the snow curse is simply a field of snow. At the bottom-left corner of the vault, the snow curse is incased in a semi-thick layer of snow. Previous testing has concluded that the snow is harmless.

Due to the harmless nature of the vault maintenance has only happened once. Maintenance requires the shoveling of snow, to prevent much build up. Since the last maintenance, The height of the snow has not grown a significant amount

RECORDED EXPERIMENTS:

Daine Koi

Y1855 M6 D24

*Subject is an Order agent volunteering for the experiment
22 Year old female.
Able to use magic.

Overseen By: 10 Order Agents, Officer Kagemori, Myself.

Subject has been given instructions to shovel through the layer of snow the curse has created, exposing it.

LOG

Subject has entered the vault. They have been given heavy clothing, a shovel, and an unlit torch. I follow behind her

The moment I steps into the vault, a biting cold envelops me. The air is sharp and thin. The temperature inside the snowglobe seems to have dropped to an unbearable low. Despite being rather small for a curse vault, the snowfield seems stretches out before Us, pristine and untouched, like a frozen-over tundra before a snowstorm

Daine: “So to clarify, all I must do is shovel the snow over there?” she points to the layer of snow created by the curse

Before I can answer, Kagemori SLAMS open the vault door

Kagemori: “Yup! It’s as simple as that. You are soo lucky~!! Such courageous volunteering HAS to guarantee moving up in the order!!” He eggs her on, most likely to dispel any hesitation Agent Diane has in her mind.

Kagemori, eccentric as ever, enters the vault, following behind her. His task, alongside mine, is to make sure the subject is dealt with in any case they try to take the curse.

Daine: “Here goes nothing…” She grips the shovel firmly and begins to dig into the snow with determination.

Kagemori: “You’re doing great! Keep going!” He encourages her with a wide grin on his face.

A grin grows across Agent Diane’s face as she walks down the domain to the curse. She starts shoveling away at the layer of snow, exposing the entire thing after around 5 or so minutes. The entire time Kagemori is cheerleading for the agent and starts giving a motivational speech??

The curse itself seems to have remained unchanged. It floats monotonously in the air as Kagemori and agent Diane watch on in awe.

“Just a reminder, any interaction with the curse will lead me to having to personally dispose of any two of you”

Kagemori waves a dismissive hand.
Kagemori: “Yeah, yeah, I know. I don’t need a curse to be crazy strong anyway.” He yawns, seemingly unfazed by the warning.

… That officer seriously gets on my nerves. I’ll dicipline him later.
Nothing has happened. This should conclude the experiment for now

“Lets go, testing has been concluded.”

Diane hesitates for a moment before speaking up, panic evident in her voice,
Diane:“WAIT! I can’t move! My legs are stuck in the snow!”

Kagemori glances at her, seemingly unbothered. “Have you tried lifting them up like really hard?” he suggests, his eccentricity still intact.

Diane: “I can’t get them out!!” Diane exclaims, her desperation growing by the second.

“Kagemori, leave her here. I want to see what happens”

Diane’s eyes widen in disbelief, her pleas for help growing more desperate.
Diane: “What??? You’re just gonna leave me to die? Officer Kagemori, maybe you could-”

Kagemori: “Nope! Azure’s orders, can’t do anything!” He is seemingly relaxed as ever, not giving a care in the world as he walks away, following me towards the exit

She starts pleading with us to atleast cut off her legs, or do anything to help. That doesn’t matter though. She volunteered for this position so she will fill out her position as a subject, and that is the end of it

“Let us go Officer Kagemori”

We walk out the vault and close the door behind us, drowning out her pleads and cries. This is experiment was much more important than i originally planned for it to be. The snow curse is more active than I could’ve ever expected. It appears I will have to bump up the curse’s danger up quite a bit. If this was a soldier we sent to absorb the curse this could have proven a disaster.

…

After this incident, the domain started to amass snow rapidly, covering the entire vault in snow. After maintenance, Myself and 5 agents searched the entire vault tirelessly. Agent Diane was missing. Whether she managed to escape and flee or the snow consumed her alive is up to speculation.

…

The Curse has gone missing

After searching the vault completely, both Diane and the curse have disappeared. It can only be presumed that Diane ended up absorbing it. The agents sent to monitor her and possibly even myself will no doubt face severe punishment for negligence. I’ve dispatched Officer Kagemori, Officer Raven, and 3 Ravenna centurions to hunt her down. Only fate will tell if we will be able to retrieve the curse successfully or not. I swear, I, Mattheus Azurebloom, will never let an incident like this happen under my watch ever again.

END OF TESTING

11 Likes

Entry 3 (Y1855 M8 D2)

The Cloud Curse

The cloud curse allows the holder to manipulate and become clouds.

Obtained by a group of 50 ravenna ensigns and general Argos via Devourer. Original holder was Beringer

VAULT CONDITIONS:

Vault Diameter: 20m x 20m x 2m

*Last Maintenance: N/A

Danger Level: Moderate

The cloud curse is the most recently created curse vault. It was created quickly by General Julian of the ravenna army after Baron Argos’ retrieved it from a man named Beringer two days ago. The vault’s shape is a wide-spanning glass cube with a low roof. The domain is a thick fog created by the cloud curse. Prolonged exposure is dangerous due to high concentration of Noxious gases in the clouds.

The curse freely floats in the domain, carried by it’s own clouds. Tracking it is near-impossible

Vault was constructed yesterday

RECORDED EXPERIMENTS

Multi-subject

Y1855 M8 D2

5 Subjects have been bought from the Eternal Mines to the vault. They are all handcuffed
All but one has magic

Overseen By: 20 Order Agents, Officer Carina, Myself.

The 5 subjects have been given to task to navigate the room and one must absorb the cloud curse. They have been put under the guise of the one to absorb the curse will be granted pardon

**The goal of this experiment is to have a subject absorb the curse, and keep them in contaiment, making the curse much easier to track

LOG:

The subjects are all introduced in the room and given their expression.

Carina: “You lot are to stay in the room COMPLETELY silent. When any of you subjects absorb the curse, you are all to leave to room and follow me. Of course, trying to rebel against these instructions will lead to myself personally CRUSHING you, got it?”

The subjects all have different looks on their face, but all nod in agreement.

Two order agents are to monitor the subjects, and re-capture any subjects that disobey command. I have personally ordered them to call out any irregularities aswell.

As they enter the room, they add spread out desperately in search of the curse. It will be a battle between all the subjects to get the curse, as they have been told whoever absorbs it will be granted freedom.

For some moments. Not much happens, the agents to not say anything and no noises emanate from the vault.

Suddenly, an agent calls out:

Agent: “Two of the prisoners are fighting! Cease at once!”

Yells and threats are exchanged between agents and subjects, but soon the commotion subsides. All present confirm that everything is under control.

Carina, with a taunting tone, remarks,

Carina: “Oh yeah, I would avoid infighting. Watching weaklings struggle for even the smallest droplet of power in the world is simply disgusting. I really don’t care what happens to any of you, but the more you fight, the more time you waste. If anything, you are just wasting your time as well as OURS.”

After a few more moments, all the subjects are called back by officer carina to take a short rest. The gases in the room will eventually kill everyone inside, requiring the subjects to take a short break and for the agents monitoring the subjects to swap with the ones monitoring the outside of the vault. A few moments after, the break is over and the subjects/ agents resume to what they were doing. Tension has definitely shown raised as the subjects are now desperate to find the curse. After a while this begins to show as one of the subjects goes completely berserk and begins screaming

Agent 3: “Subject has gone completly mad!! AGHHHH!!”

Chaos erupts as agents try to control the situation. Some manage to overpower their subjects, but others lose track of their assigned subjects. Three agents emerge from the vault, injured and claiming they have lost their subjects.

Carina scowls, muttering,
Carina: “Fine. It appears leaving this to the fodder was a mistake.”

With a maniacal smile, Carina rushes into the room, ready to handle the situation herself.

CRRAAAAASHH!!!

BAAAAAANG!!!

After only a short moment, carina drag out two limp bodies, face smashed in by Carina’s lethal iron-leg technique.

Carina, standing triumphant, declaring
Carina: “Hmmph. Let this be an example to the rest of you freaks in there. Those two were dealt with by me in under a minute!”

A Ravenna centurion bursts into the room, bearing dire news.

Carina: “Well centurion, speak up? What is the issue?”

Centurion: "It’s terrible!! General Argos, the lion of ravenna, aswell as the entirety of fort talos were completetly destroyed!!! Only two people were behind it, and they have recently been spotted in ravenna. They have been last spotted in Tiberia, the Bronze legion begs for you to offer your strength, General Julian and-

Carina interrupts, her voice filled with anger and determination,
Carina: “First my brother, now General Argos… How much worse can this get? What’s next? Calvus will be killed?! I’ll be killed?!! I’ll put an end to those who are messing with me once and for all!!! PREPARE YOURSELF, WHOEVER YOU ARE, I’LL CRUSH YOU!!!”

“Carina, wait-” Before I can even give her orders, she’s already gone.

This presents quite the issue. Carina was originally in charge of the entire experiment, but after her crazed episode and speech of getting revenge, I must step up. Giving orders and killing others isn’t really forte, but I must do what i can

“Just because carina has gone off on her own mission of vengeance doesn’t mean you are to stop. Continue working, this will be your only message from me. I won’t hesitate to kill any of you either.”

The subjects and agents remain silent.

Finally, after what feels like ages, The clouds suddenly dispell and focus on one point

Agent 7: “The subject has abosrbed the curse!”

I rush into the room. Within a second i manage to grab the subject, and in the next second i’m gone. The subject that absorbed the curse is appears to be a young male. They most likely absorbed the curse by accident seeing as how it knocked them unconcious. I restrain them and put them aside for now

“Well. The experiment has concluded. You all will follow the agents watching you back to your cells and that is the end of it.”

Subject 1: “What!! Wait please i thought i was going to die so many times can at least have my sentence reduced”

Subject 3: “Yeah!! the clouds in there were gonna kill me can i at least get some sort of reward or at least a…”

“SILENCE. Allowing you both to live is the highest form of kindness from the Order. I have no interest in your fates. You failed to complete your task, and that is the end of it. Do not try to escape either; I’m way stronger than Officer Carina and all the agents in this room combined tenfold.”

Both of them attempt to speak again, but the agents drag them back to the mines.

Well. I will get to restraining the subject. I will leave instructions of any of the Ravenna legion/ order agents watching over the vault to follow. My intrest lies in whatever happened to Baron Argos…

END OF TESTING

8 Likes

this is really good :+1:

1 Like

Thank you atleast knowing someone enjoys it makes me glad considering i spent like 15 hours writing this :sob: :sob:

1 Like

THIS IS FIRE!!! Man this definitely gives off well written SCP vibes. Looking forward to more.

Have there been any experiments where magic interactions were tested against the curse vaults? Like using a water or acid blast against the wood curse?

Also the title says vol 0 even though it’s vol 1

1 Like

Thank you!! This is probably the longest piece of writing i’ve pubically published

Those will be shown more in the next volue (whenever i get to working on that). There has been expirements before and i can’t wait to start writing about the interaction that curses have with magic. I primarily wanted to focus on the cruelty of the whole “experimentation” procces for this volume, to set things up

Fixxed, I just copy pasted the title so and i thought i fixxed it already :melting_face:

Only i fell like you are researcher from SCP wiki?

Actual banger keep cooking these :fire:

1 Like

It appears some photographs have been recovered from the last expedition into the wood curse’s vault, Lord Azurebloom. I will try my best to restore them to their original quality, though artifacts of their age will remain. May this lowly agent perform his best for you.
P.

Wood

2 Likes

damn,this was a very good read,i cant wait for more

1 Like

wishing for the attention span to read through this but take my likes in support and a hopes that one day i will

1 Like

Stuff like this makes me love the Arcane Universe

2 Likes

This is a really awesome writing project, keep it up

1 Like

Is this cannon to the story or just a fun bit storytelling?

This is the most fun I have reading something. Keep up the good work! This made me wish that this is canon. It’s just super cool.

1 Like

All just fanon! I kinda tried to give curses more of a “depth” aspect and try and give a rather niche part of the story some of the spotlight :+1:

1 Like

Cool I’m most interested if n the new character as well as learning more about old ones.

Reminds me of one of the more well written SCPs, great concept too!

2 Likes

Carina and Iris would get along so well…

2 Likes