A rather interesting question for the writers of this forum

Hello there my friends, foes, and other miscellaneous entities on the arcane odyssey forums, I have a question pertaining something related to writing that I want your guys’ advice on.

How does one… write humor?

Or like, funny dialogue.

I mean it seems pretty simple but when you actually do it… that illusion of simplicity shatters completely and you realize how teeth-grinding and hair-pullingly difficult it actually is.

So, I ask who I presume to be more experienced writers and possibly authors on this forum, their advice on how to approach the art of comedy, so I too can make the boys and girls of the world giggle and squeal and maybe do both giggling and squealing at the same time.

anyways, what are your inputs?

First of all, it depends on what you write. If the synopsis of your story is a very serious, then don’t go for a comedic writing style. However, if your story IS suitable for comedy purpose, then write away.

Secondly, use emphasis and hyperbole to make things seem more exaggerated, often that can bring comedic effects.

Thirdly, picture yourself in that scenario. Imagine you were the character, what makes your character laugh or giggle at that moment?

Here’s an example I guess (I don’t really write comedy, it’s about how Grand Navy NPCs chase you across the map even if you sunk their ship.)
The Lieutenant stared at the water after the criminal swam away.
I shook my head.
“No.”
“N-No you can’t do this, no.”
“No, don’t you dare do this.”
“WE’LL SWIM TO THE CRIMINAL IF WE MUST!”

Now take my advice with a grain of salt as I hardly write comedy, but hopefully I helped.

I think humor works even more when implemented into a serious story. It can relieve tension for a small while and add some interactions you would rarely see between characters. As to actually writing humorous dialogue, idk man I aint a writer :laughing:. Maybe try to remember how a funny conversation went with your friends/family and replicate it.

I did some research on my own time, and I feel like I’ve come to the conclusion of just probably taking notes from weird things I find funny from other sources or things in real life as well as practicing the element of surprise

I guess we really like it when things completely out of pocket happen without a real discernible reason to them.

Also, apparently words with a “k” sound are more “funny” for some odd reason, or, so I’ve been told.

“coconut”
“pickle”
“plonk”
“kick”

ETC…

I find that people always laugh when I say the most random things in a serious or level headed way.

Plonk.