A real fix to the scaling of percentage stats

A real fix to the scaling of percentage stats https://forum.arcaneodyssey.dev/uploads/default/original/3X/6/7/677404738222a034a548b07656997bc9a018f9f3.png
effort 4.90625 32 quality 4.84375 32 reasonability 4.575757575757576 33

read it all and still got confused by all the numbers but i like what i understood and do think this would be amazing

1 Like

charms? more like nerf gems

Alright so I’d explain why I support this but I feel like its actually pointless to do so because the suggest explains its self.

I never thought about just not scaling things and just letting them be noticeable at early levels and very noticeable at later levels.

2 Likes

Holy shit the amount of effort

And I agree with every single point here
It also brought the thoughts out of my head about how and why enchants other than Power, Strength, and Hard cannot be scaled the same way as the three
Very nice solution

Pog suggestion overall, possibly the best I’ve ever seen, or at least close to it

:+1: sexy

1 Like

How dare you want to make ingame items viable to slightly quench the overwhelming power+defense meta.

ok now this is good
balancing stats to make them useful early game but not absolutely broken endgame is a smart idea
and giving % is much more useful rather then ‘‘ok you must get out a calculator to figure it out and uhhh good luck finding a formula k bye lol’’

1 Like

I read the whole thing to prove I don’t have an attention span of 20 seconds and I got a doubt I might have missed a point but what is the point of upgrding your level 50 items to level 80 if the agility is so low there is literally no point of using it if it doesn’t scale

If it’s backed by graphs…

1 Like

Good question, it’s an easy thing to miss.
If you look closely, you’ll notice that the new items aren’t +10 and +15 agility, they’re +10% and +15%.

At our level, this is a huge strict buff to all percentage stat items.
The scaling is complicated, but in general one “agility point” in the old system is worth +0.4%.

A hood at level 90 is currently like +9%, in the new system all hoods are worth +15%, plus the defence.
You don’t get a lot from upgrading it (just a small amount of defence/power/strength), but it’s enough to be worthwhile. The secondary scaling is worth more than the current scaling these items have.

Here’s my issue with this suggestion. You make basically any stat that uses this system like agility being overshadowed. If you want to go a certain stat, you shouldn’t have to use other stats as compensation for its weakness. This isnt counting hybrid armour which is completely fine as it’s intended to have multiple stats.

Strength is really fine off on its own at the moment. It will be much more useful when weapons get their desired revamp and would work really similarly to power but yknow for melee.

Magic size is pretty fine off on it’s own. A bigger hitbox is definitely nice for consistency alongside higher magic jumps. It definitely doesn’t need a change as of now.

Magic speed and magic casting speed could just get fused into one stat. You now have both 2 solid stats on their own be combined into one, making it a worthwhile stat that could compete against power and defense.

Agility is the biggest issue. Have the fastest you can go be too fast and an overwhelming stat, or have that maximum potential be limited but have scaling be absolutely terrible. This might hurt some people, but removing it and replacing it with a new worthwhile stat may be for the best. Theres a lot of potential like having a magic regen/capacity stat or stamina regen/capacity stat. Any speed upgrades could be through the medal points system so you’ll be able to get your desired speed, just in a more effective way.

Oh yeah I can mention knockback too. Cough make it an amplification stat because it’s better than every magic getting knockback cough.

I think you’ve got the wrong idea - the secondary stats aren’t compensating for weakness, they’re just a small incentive to upgrade the gear.
+2 power at level 50 isn’t making the bandana good, giving it +10% agility instead of +2% to +6% is.

In any case, buffing the percentage stats to make them viable isn’t the main focus of this suggestion.

This is the issue the suggestion is primarily tackling.

You’ve brought it up for agility, but I think it holds true for all the percentage stats. +300% magic size is unreasonable - you can’t dodge that. Super high casting speed and magic speed break the game in similar ways.

• We can’t allow any of the percentage stats to get too high (otherwise they break the endgame).
  • They need to start pretty high (otherwise the stats are useless until endgame).
  • And they need to increase by a meaningful amount each level (otherwise endgame mixed builds get near-max bonuses with a single high level item).

This is impossible. You cannot satisfy all these requirements with the current approach.
A short-sighted buff like “what if we attached magic speed to casting speed” might make the stat viable at level 90, and maybe it’s something we should do, but it’s not a fix to scaling.

That’s why in this suggestion, we don’t scale the percentage stats. The items for them get better at every tier (just like power, defense and strength), but they don’t improve as you level up (again, like power, defense and strength). Since we only need to balance for 5 upgrades instead of 1000, we can meet all three of the requirements, and make a scaling system that works for everything (even agility!).

also for some minor points

Strength’s unchanged in this suggestion, aside from not increasing magic destruction anymore.
You can find it in small amounts on a handful of items now, but it’s not really getting buffed.

100% agreed on that - I’m fine with some items having fun gimmick effects, but knockback being one of the 8 stats is too much.

I really like the effort that went here, and the quality. Especially the poggers emojis :poggers2:. And I think stats definitely need scaling changes. I’m not sure if I like the main stats for items not scaling up by level, but I think it would probably be for the best anyways. I’m generally braindead, sorry.

I’ll be removing agility and knockback for this response as they are BIG issues I feel should be replaced with new stats.

Time to propose new ways of how they scale. There’s obviously gonna be some testing needed to perfect stats. But I’d rather have an unbalanced but unique system, compared to everyone obtaining power/defense.

Magic Size
I’m still fine with how this is scaled. You can have extremely high percentages in the end, what if you don’t have levels increase the size of attacks to a large degree. Obviously it’ll still increase, but not to island shredding sizes. This would balance out progression and leave magic size a purpose. It’ll still scale the same as it is currently.

Magic Speed + Casting Speed
Magic speed depends on the magic itself, while casting speed is completely independent. I think the curved chart would still be possible with this system. Scaling would start at a rapid pace, then not give as much output the more of it you have. When you would upgrade, it just increases the amount of stats.

Now how to fix the upgrading issue is to not give too much per upgrade. It would be asymmetrical from how other stats are. You could have 100 power and 12 magic speed, but both stats would still be at level. This would help low levels experience a change, while at higher levels the reward is to have less of one stat item equipped to get the same results. This doesn’t require a need for having stats like power or defense in compensation as well.

Power, strength and defence just don’t scale like magic size does. Running magic size is always a tradeoff, and the trade needs to be around the same at all stages of the game.

If +20% magic size is worth losing +20% damage for, that means magic size is balanced at level 200.
Problem is that now it’s useless below level 200. Who’s going to swap +20% damage for +5% magic size? Not me.
And worse, it’s way overpowered at level 1000. +100% magic size for +20% damage? I’ll take your entire stock!

What we need is scaling that roughly matches the linear stats. There isn’t a formula that does this, because power’s relative effect doesn’t increase with level. It increases with tier.
At tier 1 (levels 1 to 50), max power is about a +50% boost. At tier 2 (50 to 100), it’s around +100%. As you level up, the number on your gear increases, but the relative effect stays (almost) the same, because your base stats are also increasing.

If we want the power/magic size tradeoff to be similar at every level, so we can balance it properly, we need magic size (and all stats) to scale with tier, not level.

See, you’ve just broken rule 3. Now look what you’ve done:

Curved chart seems like a good idea (and it was meta’s original idea - not that vetex seems to have actually added it), but it has subtle problems.

The main one is what you stated as the “reward for high levels”. This is crippling to build diversity, even moreso than the current state of the game.

For the scaling to both catch up to power/defense at low levels, and also not skyrocket into the hundreds at level 1000, it’s going to need to look like this:
At level 200, a full build might be worth 500 stats, and net you +150%.
At level 1000, a single item will be worth about as much, and also net you +150%.
(and at level 10 to 50, it’s all still worthless)

Now look at this from the perspective of making your endgame build - wearing a level 1000 hybrid item might give you lots of defence, and +150% magic/casting speed. Put more magic/casting speed items on, and you’ll see no improvement. Percentage stat items are completely useless. It’s the level 90 meta all over again.

Except it’s actually worse. Maybe you don’t want to wear the Super Speed Helmet - you’d rather wear The Archmage’s Wizard Hat (all power) instead.
Yeah, good luck with that. Any build not running one of each percentage stat item is crippling itself. You can’t be firing blasts that travel 3x slower with 3x the casting time and expect to compete.

Not only is it the level 90 meta of “all power/defence”, but now you have less slots to work with because some are locked up as irreplaceable hybrid items. No build is viable without the Super Speed Helmet.

Losing the slow incremental scaling of percentage stat items is a necessary evil to balance them in line with the linear stats.
The stats are just too different to work the same way.

Ooo boy, this shit is both balanced and will make items intresting. And we’ll get extra power/defense on the side!

didnt read, voted anyways :sunglasses:

really simple and understandable suggestion tho

so when you upgrade the items the walk speed boost of using those items remains the same and the only thing that gets better is the defense and power right?

good suggestion this is very swag