About fighting styles

So one question that have been in my minds for few minutes is ; what is the god damn difference between every AO fighting styles?
What I mean by that is that what differentiates them is there gimmick, and only that, which if vested ever plan to put that in a story… it’s not going to be the most fighting styles/fight choreography (but ofc I could be wrong).

The problem with the fact that they only have their gimmicks is that there is no clue on what they really focus on.
Maybe some will say that boxe is focused on punches (no kidding), but it’s JUST punches with wind.

There is also Karate that is (maybe) going to be added, and it is said to be focused on grabs, which is gonna suck in game since grabs sucks, but also don’t make much sense since karate isn’t that focused on grabs irl, I’ve already practiced karate and I can tell you it is not.

What I’m trying to explain is that they don’t really feel distinct from one another in game because of their move sets being the same and because they focus around their elemental or non elemental gimmick.

Iron leg is a kick based fighting style that focus on making your leg really really hard… and that it. It isn’t like Taekwondo, which also use arms and not just legs, but what is the focus?

They also don’t make that much sense in universe because they act like normal real fighting styles, not ones sets in a world of magic.

Some stand out a bit more like cannon fist or shockwave fist, but even then it’s pretty straight, just throwing ball and shooting shockwaves.

Might edit again when I can find how to explain better.

2 Likes

i think boxing focuses on whatever boxing in real life does

Don’t make sense I. A world of bidens blast shooting people’s…

So one question that have been in my minds for few minutes is ; what is the god damn difference between every magic?
What I mean by that is that what differentiates them is THEIR gimmick, and only that, which if vested ever plan to put that in a story… it’s not going to be the most magic choreography (but ofc I could be wrong).

The problem with the fact that they only have their gimmicks is that there is no clue on what they really focus on. (maybe)
Maybe some will say that wind is focused on knockback (no kidding), but it’s JUST knockback with barely and damage.

There is also lost magics that are going to be added, and it is said to be focused on type, which is gonna suck in game since the types suck, but also don’t make much sense since they’re all types.

What I’m trying to explain is that they don’t really feel distinct from one another in game because of their move sets being the same and because they focus around their elemental gimmick.

Ash is a heat based fighting magic that focus on dot… and that it. It isn’t like magma, which also uses heat, but what is the focus?

They also don’t make that much sense in universe because they act like normal real elements, not ones sets in a world of magic.

Some stand out a bit more like wind or light, but even then it’s pretty straight, just throwing knockback and blinding.

4 Likes

I do think that it would be interesting if magics and fighting styles had 1-3 moves unique to it that you can unlock after an awakening or something.

blox fruits awakening reference

maybe not this but maybe they are good at better things, like light and lightning (and maybe others) have unique beams and explosion has a unique or better explosion, whether these are as an option or naturally the unique one.

this would make sense for karate and its grabs. basic would likely be good at punching or kicking or crash. iron leg for smash, boxing thermo and sailors with shot.

The thing that differentiates fighting styles is both their special ability, and their stats

Ironleg has quite high size and damage, but its speed is terrible. It focusses on a more short ranged tactic, with a lot of smash attacks and shots instead of crashes and grabs.
The status effect also allows it to synergise with other magics or fighting styles.

Basic combat is a jack of all trades. It has the second highest base damage multiplier (tied with 100% seawater sailor) and it has okay speed and size. This allows the user to basically use all aspects of fighting styles, and not just a specific tactic like ironleg.
It does lack synergies (unless you count the crystal shatter), so it’s usually not that great for warlocks which have a low damage magic which relies on synergies.

Thermo is the fastest fighting style, but also has the lowest size. This means that it’s better at using crashes and grabs than most other fighting styles, but smash attacks are a lot less effective. Shot is still quite useful, but it’s a lot more difficult to hit.
The resource bar forces the player to be aggressive, because otherwise they lose out on both speed and damage in the form of the DoT.
The DoT, which is heat based, allows a lot of synergy with warlock and warlord builds, since it gets a big damage increase when clearing bleed, which is the most common status effect. A lot of other magics also synergise with heat based statuses as well.

Sailor style is a bit strange, because it’s pretty good at everything at max seawater bar. It has the second highest damage (tied with basic) and it has decent speed and a huge size. This means that it’s very good for both smash attacks and crash attacks, while also being decent for grabs.
The only downside is that this bonus loses effectiveness the more attacks you use, which forces you to either jump into the ocean or drink a seawater bottle. Both of which force the player to temporarily stop fighting and will leave the user vulnerable for counter attacks

Boxing is somewhat similar to basic combat, where it doesn’t have any synergies, but it also has slightly worse size and damage. To make up for this, it gets a speed boost and you get 10% more blocking power on blocks. It also increases all knockback that you would normally deal.
It’s a weaker, but more defensive version of basic combat, but it’s usually not really used because it’s pretty bad. It’s okay in the early game, but falls off hard after about level 60

Cannonfist is certainly a fighting style
It’s basically if fightingstyles were magics, but instead of using blasts or beams and stuff, you throw metal balls, sometimes filled with explosive stuff, at your enemies. It can be really strong if you use an attack speed build, since you can use heavy explosive shells to boost your attack size a bunch.
It also does a bunch of extra damage against boats for what that’s worth, but you don’t really get any loot from ships except a few regular chests
It’s fun to play around with, but unless you’re an enjoyer of sinking ships, it’s way too expensive to use for a longer period of time.
(also the warlord imbued damage sucks)(also it’s very strong with heavy grapeshot and crystal imbue)

So eh, fighting styles certainly are something
(I only like sailor style (because it looks amazing) and basic combat (very strong and no resource bar))

1 Like

What I meant was that the differences are only their elements and their gimmicks, there is no clue about what theirs techniques are about and what is the main focus of the fighting style (ex: fast kick, counters, self defence/defence, etc).

So in lore they are basically just about how fast or strong you can punch and kick, not about HOW you punch and kick.

canon fist stands out alot
its the only one that is very good at ship/terrain/long range destruction

same but I bet they’d be terrible to balance

1 Like

Yeah, the ONLY one, and even then its not exploited that much.

as a canon fist main i feel deeply offended

you are trying too hard to equate fighting styles ingame to real life martial arts

There isn’t a “focus” because when your primary skill is punching so hard you create a shockwave of energy that hits everything 100 ft in front of you, a realistic focus doesn’t matter anymore

that said, they’re customizable enough that different fighting styles have totally different methods of use. My wood thermolock fights very different from my poison ironleg warlock, which is again different from my berserker.

it’s up to you to create the “focus” you’re looking for. The reason you can’t see one is because these distinctions are ones set in a world of magic, not in a world of martial arts

oooooh they’re very different
boxing is focused on knockback, low damage but high knockback fs
iron leg is focused on damage, low speed but high damage fs
cannon fist is focused on range, the only ranged fs so far
thermo fist is focused on speed and fills up in fight, frontload fs
sailor style is focused on size and has to be filled up beforehand, backload fs
basic combat is a mix of all, being average in every filled, the savant of fs

i wish fighting styles had unique moves between them instead of it just being
“this fighting style is faster and this other fighting style is slower” with the same exact moveset

the whole berserker class in itself is just really really flawed, since you’re just a mage that can’t shoot from far away, if you think about it, mage can do literally everything berserker does but better, from a distance or upclose, dont think devs really thought this one out y’all

1 Like

would you like to be able to shoot cannon balls in the sky so they fall back like meteors? cuz that could work since you just need throw them really hard

Pretty much everything in AO is based on mages both gameplay wise and a bit lore wise in how they work. I think the non magic classes suffer from that the most (aka berserkers and warriors).

thats what i said, their difference is ONLY their gimmick, even in the dam lore