Add another Text Channel to the Discord

If I don’t bring this up, who will?

Problem

The current state of vetcord is unsustainable. It’s only going to get bigger as new faces playing AO for the first time flood the discord. We’ve had this 15 minute slow mode ever since release. We can’t “wait until it calms down.” It’s Never going to… unless the game dies, and we don’t want that.

I’ve seen alot of questions in the chat, and i’ve tried my best to answer them even in dms. But its nearly impossible to do when the chat is scrolling at the speed of light and i’m on slowmode. I’ve asked one of the moderators if they could ask the head moderators (meant to say mod supervisor, mb) to add a second general channel, this is the response I got (in his defense, I said general instead of text channel, which may have confused him):

Impossible???

explain this then

Solution

Simply put, please add another text channel to the vetcord. The new faces are not going away. Call the second channel “AO Discussion” or something idk. I know that the mod team is small and that another channel would be spreading you guys thin. But I don’t have a better idea.

why don’t we just run the vetcord like the forums are run

there’s a channel for everything

pvp/pve
trading discussion
marketplace
off topic
art (this already exists)
bug reports
game discussion
questions

People are gonna misuse it/keep using general
If you look at the questions people ask its obvious theyre not super smart so they’ll flood general

idk well we can enforce simple rules and verbal reminders to encourage people to post things in the appropriate channels

We do that now and it doesnt work

well you guys say that you are struggling

you know I don’t want to sound like a power hungry madman but why don’t you just use small mutes as extra enforcement for people trying to offer trades or do things in other topics

I know that sounds awful, but off topic can be the lawless hellhole while everything else can be more organized that way.

I’d brought up a help channel a while ago, the mods said that when they had a help channel during the AS days it was always being misused and was difficult to moderate

We mute people and they just come back when its over and keep spamming clan invites/trades in general

^^^

you do have a serious pickle on your hands it seems…

do you guys have like

a guest chatroom for newcomers?

No we dont

Were discussing lowering the slowmode currently but it wont be by much

Help channel didnt work at AS right? these are different times, and people ask a bunch of questions about the game, a help channel would be useful for them and for the people that want to talk normally in general

well there’s a solution.

newcomers have to go through the purgatory chatroom, acting as a filter, and maybe a special “welcomer” role can be used by the staff team to basically look through newcomers and see who’s fine to go in or who could be an alt looking for trouble

that sounds like a second, and more complicated verify. Could be annoying

Ill forward this thread to staff if they wanna keep talking here cuz i gotta go but yeah we’ll keep it in mind

1 Like

meh I’ve seen worse