Arcane Odyssey v1.13 Balancing Changes WIP

while mages will likely remain as one of the meta builds even after this update, it would be awesome if them and berserkers also got more interesting awakenings, like the changes warrior is getting. About your comments on the berserker buffs, the 10% damage increase isn’t a buff to berserkers specifically, it just keeps their damage the same, and affects strength hybrids too. they’re still going to be weaker than strength hybrids after this.

one potential buff to berserkers could be enhancing their primary style once they get an awakening, like how someone mentioned giving them a higher mastery cap.

I would like to point out that whatever tester did the math on the buffs to the fighting style multipliers as compensation for the 10% damage increase being removed clearly didn’t put more than a few seconds of thought into it because adding +0.1x to the already existing multiplier is NOT a 10% damage increase, that’s a much larger increase on a lot of the weaker fighting styles lmao

Shadow magic should have an effect that acts like insanity or something like that cuz as right now is prob the worst magic in game
Or at least it should interact with bleeding, giving “Corrupted Blood” and taking dmg over time

shhh, don’t mention it
we all want this buff i mean. “nerf”

2 Likes

Shadow magic is probably the only magic that has such beefy raw stats.

Good damage, great size, great range.

Shadow’s status effect has to be a ‘minor’ thing exactly due to how strong its base stats already are.

Its a very solid, although underrated magic imo.

Oh true mb i forgot math worked like that, you right it’s a nerf we need them numbers pumped up again fr

1 Like

Cannon fist should be able to used underwater for all my Warlock and Berserker comrades, Shot doesn’t work correctly underwater either, and is unable to be aimed while underwater. If you allow cannon fist to work underwater, I can see a positive outcome adding a faster drop resulting in less range while underwater due to resistance, as of now it just creates a splash effect and deletes the cannon ball, making shark hunting impossible and water combat obsolete.

blud think he slick

6 Likes

Honestly I’ve got a few things to say about the balancing. One:

I think the damage buff is needed, conjurers are severely lacking in dps, but i’m confused about the size debuff. I’d get it if nothing else was being done to size, but attack size in general is getting absolutely gutted at every turn. Yet for some reason, conjurer, warlord and warrior are getting singled out, when their aoe isn’t the problem, the mage aoe is. (also mountain wind is a bit too crazy.)

Second:

This… doesn’t quite work. I love the concept, but simply put, this makes the damage average multiplier go from .85 to like… .858. It’s barely a buff. if anything, just add the effect and keep the damage where it is. that would make a… .884 multiplier as compared to .85. Its a good buff, it’s about the same as the buff proposed higher up, and if you play it incorrectly it’s not nearly as effective, giving lighting a sort of identity. Granted, it’s very similar to crystal, but oh well.

Third:

Do you guys notice anything about this? Not a single heavy solid magic is being nerfed. Metal, Earth, and crystal, are all happy and thriving, even though every single impossible to kill mage uses them. and yet explosion is somehow the meta. Not sure how that went over the testers’ heads, but alrighty.

Fourth:

This simply isn’t needed. I don’t think i’ve seen the enchantments used anyways, if anything the need a slight buff to incentivize using them over hard or powerful. That or the scaling for those stats needs to be messed with.

Last and pretty much least:

This doesn’t make much sense either. I’d understand nerfing them as a whole, but then they nerfed them in the exact same way to “distinguish” them from each other. Mirrored river gets longer and thinner, while flash strike gets… longer and thinner. I’d honestly flip the buff and nerf on flash strike, making it a very wide aoe, but you don’t get much of a leap forward from it, and it doesn’t go very far out.

just wanna make sure that my opinion on all this is somewhat valid.

5 Likes

Good.

Because each of these classes abuse AoE heavily, especially Warlord and Warrior which are honestly brainless. Yes, Mage AoE is a problem. Hence why it’s getting nerfed pretty heavily, which you’d see if you read.

All size Shapes are getting nerfed. Multi-Explosions are having their size decreased. Pulsar is having its size decreased by 50%. Mage is getting the most direct size nerfs out of any class. Use your eyes.

Heavy-solid magics are as powerful as they are in the current patch for three reasons. One is size scaling. Second is Mode strength. Third is Pulsar effectiveness. All of these are being dealt with.

The nerfs to size scaling as previously mentioned make the ramp-up of their AoE less effective and less noticeable, though I’m sure they will still be fairly strong and could probably use further adjustment down the line.

Mode is being nerfed very heavily, and heavy-solid magics will receive far less HP and Damage than what they currently gain, not to mention the introduction of energy drain while Modes are active.

Pulsar is honestly one of the biggest reasons for these magics’ current success, as their slower magic speed served to benefit the strength of Pulsar, allowing it to linger in one spot for longer. With Pulsar being gutted, its strength will not be nearly as pronounced on heavy-solid magics.

These choices should be far less popular post-v1.12, aside from the lingering builds that still run these magics. Most of the people who use heavy-solid magics right now can’t actually deal with their speed in normal gameplay, hence why they don’t use Blasts at all.

I meant to increase the end lag of the move to make it so you can punish it if it misses (currently the user of the sword can move while the tornado thing is still around).

It’s really weird that they’re nerfing them both the exact same way, especially considering Flash Strike is a horizontal slash

Damage and size are also changing from multiplicative to additive to further nerf them and everything with it.
Then on top of the heavy hit, they do a large DoT. If the DoT change happens, the DoTs won’t scale with power which further helps to prevent one shots. I also think the 5% threshold on metal (wood can go with it) is pointless since its a heavy hitting magic. Should be 33% like earth.

I genuinely think it’s gotta be a typo, surely they mean vertical hitbox on Flash Strike

Also, if possible, it would be nice if weapon throw weapon size visuals scaled accordingly to their hotbox (makes it easier to dodge/predict).

Mage size as a whole is really not getting nerfed though. Shapes? Absolutely. But mage size, in itself, isn’t getting focused on, which it should be. And on top of that, I play a conjurer, and… There’s really NOT that much aoe. Maybe I’m just using the wrong weapons, but there’s not much aoe in play for conjurers because the weapons they can use dont have that much of it.

I get what you’re going for here, but like i said; they’re tackling attack size as a whole and not putting any attention towards mages (and metals) specifically, which i think they should. The pulsar wasn’t even on my mind, i knew that was getting nerfed.

Actually, a few magics they’re just straight up buffing the size of, which is… strange.

Fire, ice and poison are only getting a +0.05 increase in size. It’s not much. I assume ice is getting one because snow is competing with it. Fire is was low size for being the trademark average magic.

Never said the buffs weren’t valid, it’s just strange that the only direct magic size changes were buffs rather than the needed nerfs. Maybe the total gut they’ve made to the system entirely will hurt mage more than other classes that used less AOE, there’s no way to be sure until later.

does this mean intensity increases frozen duration in the current game rn and that it’s gonna affect it less? i didn’t know intensity affected frozen