Arc's Cartography | Part 2

I never expected for people to actually agree with my map on my previous post, it was a really rushed process and I merely did it to be the first to do something.

I’ve been wanting to make somewhat of a sequel to this process for a while now, and @RickRose has more or less inspired me to (You are now my sole competitor and we will see who’s map turns out more accurate >:D).
(Remember to check out RickRose’s Map)

Anyways, without further ado, let’s begin the mapping, once again.

First off, I decided to make my blank template look slightly more authentic, and I settled for a different shade of blue for the background, not like I find this significant or anything, just that I decided it looks nicer.

Like the previous map, I decided to plot Dawn Island on my map, and this time, I’m going to try and plot approximate shapes and sizes of the islands to make the map more accurate, but as we now don’t have any idea of Dawn Island’s size, as it’s just that island there alone, I plotted it as a square.

The next thing I needed to do was decipher which sources would be more reliable, so I had to scourge through the trello to find where Vetex may have swapped island positions. The earliest patch note on island positions was on the 3rd of January 2021.

This instantly made the Redwake leaks published on the 14th of this month unreliable, so I would have to skip mapping Redwake until I get onto another screenshot which shows it’s rough location, so I skipped straight to Frostmill.

The most significant source I was using for the early mapping was the whirlpool video, as we get an insight of countless wilderness islands, with a clear depiction of where the sun is.

After watching the video around 10 times over, I realised that when Vetex turned in the video, he didn’t pull an entire 360, and as we couldn’t see the sun, I was able to depict where it is, and also make the assumption that in this video, it was almost midday.

We also get a view of the massive rift I mentioned in my previous mapping post, which is located either infront, behind, left or right of Redwake, but we’ll tackle this later.

We also see two wilderness islands in front of Redwake, which line up perfectly with another source I have.

This video is most likely taken before the addition of Frostmill, but through a basic assumption, we can assume that where the video I’m using as evidence starts off, is infact where Frostmill would come to eventually be placed.

This video also shows us the location of what seems to look like Dawn Island.

This would mean that Redwake is west of the boat in the video, meaning that Redwake is North West of Dawn Island. Now we just needed to work out the size of it, then we can resume our assumptions on Frostmill’s Location

Although an old image, I found a source which could help find out Redwake’s size in proportion to Dawn Island.

The fucking rock shit (dunno what it’s called) becomes way more sparse by the ends of the image, so I’m assuming this is the entire front of Redwake, or atleast a chord of it’s entire diameter.

Just from looking at it’ due to perspective and shit, I’m gonna say Redwake is around 4x the width of Dawn Island, so I plotted it on the map.

I’d remaster the proportions of all the islands if I go off the edge, but for now, I settled with this. Now, time to map Frostmill.

I found zero record of Frostmill’s location being changed, so I decided to use all sources with Frostmill inside it to decipher it’s location.

This image was first to come to mind. If my previous iteration of Redwake’s location is correct, then this boat is facing Dawn Island, or atleast has Dawn Island in it’s peripheral vision, from this Image alone I could decipher that Frostmill is west of Redwake, or maybe even South West due to how it’s angled.

At this moment is where I actually realised something crucial. The video I was using as my primary source must’ve been added after the addition of Frostmill.

We know that the Stepstones is just before the Sky Islands, which, is after Frostmill, so everything up to this point has the chance of being false.

But hey, I’m trying to make a map for an unreleased game, I have enough time to make this map again before late 2022.

Just thinking about it, this map was falling down an oddly familiar route.

This is where I decided to take a mental note that rotating the islands and actually focusing more on compass points was really the only difference between these 2 maps, but I’ll ignore that for now, unless it starts to look awfully the same.

Time for the next story location, Cirrus Island, located in the sky (I’ll do Wilderness Islands last, they’re probably the most tiring part of this entire mapping process).

The most significant screenshot for me was infact this Skyship screenshot.

This screenshot provided me with where east was, therefore allowing me to plot where Cirrus Island was.

I could tell that the land behind the skyship was apart of Cirrus island due to the similar tree and grass colouring (We also know of no other area in the sky which looks like this).

This was my conclusion, that the mast of the ship was infact what was in the shadow, meaning east was infact to the left of this image, meaning Redwake was South, if not South West of Cirrus Island, which appears to be one of the edges to the sky region. It also appeared to be slightly overlapping one end of the island, and as we see nothing else island-wise on this, we can assume this is either above another island, or is facing away from them, but the sea rift convinced me on where it’s location was. So I plotted this on the map along with the sea rift.

I was going to depict the sky islands as a more transparent colour, incase they fall directly above some parts of islands, like in this case, the edge of Redwake.

Now it was time for the stepstones, the hypothesised entrance to the sky, which seemed to also be near Redwake.

I saw no shadows here, but I did know that it had to be under the sky islands, so I plotted it almost immediately.

I also added a key because I didn’t like labelling the Islands.

I then found another Image featuring the hypothesised Stepstones (due to it actually reaching to the ground).

Although very unclear, we can tell that East is Forwards in this image, meaning that the Stepstones are directly west of Redwake, making me move it a bit more north on my Map.

Before I start the Wilderness Islands, I wanted to make a poll on how well you guys think my placement of the Storyline Islands were in this image.

How well would you rate my placement of the Storyline Islands (1-10, 1 being very inaccurate, and 10 being very accurate)?

0 voters

breathes in
Time for the Wilderness Islands.

The first thing I had to do was actually count how many Wilderness Islands there are, I’m not gonna name these islands for shit, that took me too long and confused the hell out of me, I’m just gonna place the island, label it “Wilderness Island 1” or some shit like that, and then continue with my fucking day.

First of all, I’d just like to say that I’m considering every Sky Island which isn’t Cirrus Island a ‘Sky Wilderness Island’, I would label where the Boss Arena was there, but I was unable to find anything on it’s location.

This image was probably the most significant in terms of Sky Islands, and I used it as my baseline for everything sky-related which was not centred around Cirrus Island’s location. We could conclude that there were 3 other sky islands, all shown in the images below.

(I’m not talking about Cirrus, I’m talking about the faint image behind it)

From the third image, we could tell where the Sun was, so I used this to pinpoint the location of the ruin-like island in the front, looking like it’s west from Cirrus.

This sky island being west from Cirrus created alot of conflict on my map, meaning this is either directly above Redwake, or Cirrus was misplaced, so I decided we had to look at Frostmill, which, in the image, is hypothetically South of this island, meaning that Redwake was slightly more West, so I changed these factors on the Map, whilst plotting this new discovery.

The rest of the Sky Wilderness plotting was pretty boring, so I’m not going to write about it, and instead just show you the map after it.

I also realised that afternoon exists, but for the sake of me being an idiot, I assumed where ever the fuck the shadow is, East is, so I had to rethink alot of the Sky Islands, and after some conclusions, it started to make sense.

I also came to the conclusion that the Wilderness Island in the far back is the top of the Stepstones.

I also decided to compare this to my previous map’s variant of the same segment.

I feel much more confident after this comparison that I’m right.

Time for the actual wilderness islands, which will most likely make me rethink everything. I started by looking up on the trello how many wilderness islands Vetex had actually made, then tried to find a picture of all of them which shows their location.

This means the first Wilderness Island to be added was Elm Island.

I also found that there’s only 2 Sky Wilderness according to Patch Notes, meaning the vague image in the back was in fact the Stepstones.

From these Images, I can now conclude that there is a grand total of 6 Wilderness Islands (and also that Frostmill was FUCKING MOVED IN VERSION 1.7.2)

Before I tackled the locations of these Wilderness Islands, I had to find out if my Frostmill was still credible. I know that all the Frostmill images from sky island photos are credible, but, anything before September 2021 could be counted as not credible, this includes, fortunately, not the video I used but also clears up my confusion on why Frostmill was not present in the video I over-analysed before, meaning that Frostmill had to be somewhere else on the map.

This is when I realised you could see Frostmill in the video, meaning that Frostmill was east in the video, meaning it was north of Redwake, so I edited everything, and my confusion was finally cleared.

Because I don’t want people to spend long reading this post, I just rushed the Wilderness placement, so here’s the final iteration of my second map.

I know I really should’ve tried to label the wilderness islands, but I can’t confirm anything about which one is named which to some extent, so I decided to keep them blank.

Here’s my old final iteration from my previous post.

Time for the Polls.

Which Map do you think was more accurate?
  • Old Post
  • New Post

0 voters

How well would you rate my placement of the all the Islands (1-10, 1 being very inaccurate, and 10 being very accurate)?

0 voters

Time to wait for @RickRose to publish his map so I have an excuse to remake my map for the 3rd time.
I also forgot to skim read the entire thing to check for spelling or grammar mistakes.
I also didn’t place Akarsius due to it’s location being temporary according to Patch Notes.

2 Likes

You can see frostmill in the latest sneakpeak, it was basically moved more to the north

1 Like

your directions are surprisingly much like mine, even though I used a different method of deciding the directions… i just looked at the compass that you could see in the whirlpools video

i totally didnt forget about the compass oh no no no
actually having inner malding moment

1 Like

You got my respect tho, you did it the hard way :+1:

1 Like

I don’t really understand what makes you say that this is the stepstones

as theres only 2 sky wilderness islands, and we know that the step stones most likely has to reach into the clouds to make the player able to access the sky (or else it would’ve been called sky cannon 2.0 or smth) made me realise the similarities between the image which i initially thought was the stepstones and the island in the back of that one image
basically elaborate process of elimination

Well i honestly think the stepstones is connected to cirrus island so i gotta disagree sorry

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.