Chapter 5.5: Time Wasted around the Thief

It was quiet, very quiet. Even the bustling of the streets was silenced out… in this cell. Lelantos found himself sitting on the wooden board that acted like some sort of chair, except it was hung by chains to the dark walls. This was his first time in some sort of confinement room he called it. His curiosity peaked to look around the cell, examining every block that was carved in. The cell showed clear signs of many years of use since the walls were chipped and the floor had sand in between the wooden boards. A table was set against the wall but with no seat. Two beds were placed at the corners of the room.

“What is this uhm… confinement room called…?” the boy slowly spoke to the other person who was curled up on the hard bed in the left corner. “It’s a cell…” the person spoke with a grumpy tone, “And how do you not know this?” they got up from the bed, and it was the same girl that tried to steal his bag. “Well… I’m not familiar with thin-” Before Lelantos could finish his words, the girl spoke up, “So you’re not schooled either? Funny…”.

Lelantos looked with a bit of confusion at the girl, wanting to ask what ‘schooled’ meant, but maybe it was for the better to not annoy her more. “Yea…” before the boy could speak another word, the girl spoke up again. “Why did you save me? You could have just let me fall, and you wouldn’t be sitting here with me…” her voice was a bit clearer now, “I only seem to know how to ruin things…”. This left Lelantos a bit confused, as his mind worked to answer, “Because… I could?”.

This confused the girl, and she looked at him again with those baggy amber eyes. “I-I mean… why wouldn’t I save… you?” Lelantos continued to speak, “There is no reason… to just, let a young g-girl like you die…?”. The girl thought for a bit, it was silent in the cell now as the girl let her mind run with many thoughts. Using her hands to shuffle at her short hair for a bit, “Because I stole from you…? I mean anyone would let me just die from the fall… but you still, still-”. “Saved you?” Lelantos finished her sentence for her, his grey pupils looking at her with their usual curiosity. “Y-Yea… and here you are… in the cell with me…” the girl spoke again, slowly wiping her eyes from some tears that were welling in her eyes. “I’m here because I crashed into someone’s shop, I think that’s pretty fair.”

‘How could… he have no pettiness…?’ The girl’s thoughts ran wild, this was the first time she hadn’t been treated unfairly or badly. It was a bit confusing for the girl, yet she felt at ease with Lelantos’ words of kindness to her. “Well… if you want to repay me for saving… I wouldn’t mind someone who could tour me around the island… I’m new after all!”. The girl chuckled at his enthusiasm at getting her tour, maybe he wasn’t so bad after all. “What’s your name? My name is Lelantos!” The boy looked excited, standing up from the wallboard. “J-Just call me Amira…” Amira spoke now, her mood seemed to have been lightened by Lelantos now.

“Keep quiet there you brats!” both of them were interrupted by multiple bangs against the cell’s metal bars. A guard was striking the metal bars, he looked quite pissed at the fact these two were talking. “Such young years yet you two get yourself locked up… disappointing…” the guard spoke with a hiss in his voice. The two were silent after this, a clear embarrassed look crept on Lelantos after hearing the guard’s words. Amira just chuckled, this was not his first time in a cell, even if the earlier hints didn’t give it out in the first place. “Don’t worry… We’ll be out here soon, after all, we’re still underage…” Amira whispered as the guard walked away now, still mumbling to himself. “Underage…? What… age defies as to be under…?” Lelantos whispered back at her, only to be met with Amira sighing. “It means being under 18 years old… Man, even I know this” Lelantos could feel himself getting redder by the moment, it felt embarrassing to not know what all these words meant.

1 Like

If yall don’t mind. I would like suggestions, some criticism, or just comments. I do want feedback after all