Chapter One - Skye

On a large, hastily built platform of iron and screws, floating in the middle of a barren stretch of the sea stood a man and a pod, surrounded by heavy machinery.
“Why do I always get the garbage jobs,” muttered Roswell. “Oh yeah, send out the alchemy guy, he would be great with the new tech. Let’s send him out to the middle of the blasted, god-forsaken sea, with only a week or two of training.” He said angrily.
“Discreet manner my arse, I don’t see why they couldn’t have sent some help, or even a bodyguard or two to chat with. Not that I’ll need them after I finish up with you, my friend,” Roswell said, chuckling as he looked up at the intricate metal pod, held up from the ground by a thick pole. By all means, it was a technological marvel; not that the order seemed to care, ordering such a complex device to be built in such a short amount of time. Through the small fogged window, he could just make out the face of a young man, frowning slightly with his eyes closed, with windswept white hair. The man had been chosen out of many test subjects and was kept in a cryogenically induced sleep, though nobody was told where the order had originally gotten him, or why. ‘Skye’ was engraved on a small plaque, positioned on the front of the pod. Roswell assumed that was his name; not that it mattered. He wouldn’t need one, soon enough. With the dull monotony of a simple action drilled into one’s mind, he adjusted a dial, flipped a couple of switches, and pulled down a large lever, then apprehensively took a couple of steps back.
“…Damn it, this was our one chance! I told them we should have-” The entire platform began to tremble, as many machines started to activate the procedure he was briefed on weeks ago. With a loud grinding sound, the ten coils set up around the platform began to glow with bright, volatile energy. After a few seconds, the accumulated charge poured out of each coil to form a large magic circle on the ground below the pod, with a grey swirl in the center. Roswell grinned, not being able to help himself from feeling excited. After weeks of preparation and days spent alone in this blasted ocean, his efforts would finally pay off, except…the runes were missing. Lining the inside of the circle were supposed to be absorption runes, something the order had thoroughly researched beforehand; now, there was nothing controlling the flow of magic. With nothing holding it back, it was only a matter of time before the circle…Roswell’s eyes widened, and releasing he only had seconds to act, dived behind the control panel just as the magic circle violently exploded outwards.

A huge tornado reaching high into the sky whirled into existence, hurling the pod upwards as it began to shred the rest of the platform under its sheer power. Due to its hasty construction, the pod’s bolts shattered under the tornado’s pressure. The hatch snapped open, cold mist pouring from the pod swept up by the wind, and the young man toppled out, still unconscious. He was flung into the sky, soaring limply above the clouds, until he reached the apex of his accent. During the split-second of weightlessness, his eyes finally snapped open, darting around frantically.
“Skye,” he managed to say, before his stomach dropped as he looked down, and began to fall. Wind whipped past him as he fell head-first, stinging his skin and making his eyes water. As the turbulent sea encompassed his vision, the young man desperately held his arm in front of himself. To his surprise, a condensed gust of wind shot out of his hand towards the ocean, slowing his fall just before he painfully crashed into the choppy water below. Barely able to comprehend what had happened, the young man used the last of his strength to kick himself above the surface of the water as his vision blurred, then turned to black.

Roswell slowly picked himself out of the rubble of what was once a technological experimentation site. He coughed roughly, wincing from the dozens of gashes left by the whirling mass of metal parts caused by the now dissipated magical tornado. Roswell looked around, before sighing deeply, holding the bridge of his nose.
“I’m in so much trouble…”

Hi! This is my first time seriously writing, so feedback would be awesome, and casts fishing line compliments are great :slight_smile:

Oh btw I’ve already written a fair amount, I’ll just post all at once. Enjoy!

2 Likes

:+1:

1 Like