Combination Spells - Magic Physical Archetypes

Combination Spells - Magic Physical Archetypes https://forum.arcaneodyssey.dev/uploads/default/original/3X/4/0/40108b51efa2f2f6f7cb49efec64630f821dddcc.png
effort 4.909090909090909 11 quality 4.666666666666667 12 reasonability 2.727272727272727 11

Lost Spells that use multiple magic types combined for a unique attack

I want to make this a universal system to apply to multiple magics so its less tedious

What is an archetype

This would be an under the hood change, Magics would be categorized under their matter based classifications. Some can fit into both because of their nature

List wise:
earth, ice, crystal, wood, glass, sand, snow, and metal are considered “Solid Magic”, its solid

Acid, Water, sand, poison, and Magma are considered “Liquid Magic”, it has a liquid form

snow, explosion, sand, light, shadow, plasma, Wind, Lightning, poison, fire, and Ash are considered “Gas Magic”, it is carried by the air, lighter than air, or functions by manipulating air

why is sand in all 3?

Sand already is a more or less general element that can fit pretty much anywhere considering its ability is a minor damage bonus. Not to mention its the only “element” that can really fill all 3 forms. You have Compacted sand, sandy dust clouds, and liquid quick sand.
I think it works as a universal pick.

Casting style for combined magic

Obviously two magics at once would require a secondary spell circle, so it would need unique casting animations to include two spell circles, some of which i have outlined (poorly) here

What would the combined spells be.

These spells would take a slot from both your magics, and when you try to use the scroll it would request magics that apply to the required archetypes.

They are all creature themed, because I like the idea of a general theme for a unique type of magic

Combination Magic: Beast

The adjustable stats for this would be,
active time: increase the time active but reduce the damage bonus of the counter attack/basic attack combo

size: increase the size of the counter attack/death explosion, but reduces upward cap of absorbed damage, or summon durability.

Combination Magic: Demon

Turret and head will fire for a max of 15 seconds total

Damage: Increases damage at the cost of energy use

Size: increase the area of the stream making it wider, but pulls it closer to the player reducing the overall range

Combination Magic: Kraken

Big reference to arcane adventure’s small time water villain, Kraken.
The Manifest also redirects damage to the water body and its tentacles to you, but its reduced.

The adjustable effects would be
Size: damage reduced but increases size for the thrown blast, and the damage aura.

Durability: increased resistance from the kraken embody form, and the giant kraken body, increases mana drain.

Reason to add/change

You ever wonder why these wizards take on animal aliases? Where do they get the spells for their animal themed magic/abilities. Kraken, The War Pheonix, Minotaur(though i guess he’s been retconned), Drake.

Why not have a few animal shaped lost spell types, but also introduce the concept of combining magic. These are only a few ideas. However I like them being super moves with extended unique effects.

The running theme more or less is that the initial form is using the animal as a weapon or armor.
While the alternate form is creating the creature proper, whether summoning it like the beast, or becoming it like the kraken.

This is definitely more of an out there idea though, would take a ton of development time.

10 Likes

My amazement is immeasurable and my day is completed.

?

also i don’t like the idea of spells being restricted to certain magics, sounds like balancing hell and could discourage some cool magic combos

keep in mind the explanation after, its either carried by air, lighter than air, or manipulates air.

Snow is generally carried by air, its a powdery substance.

Also In general, i think its cool to give some lost spells that have unique restrictions.

Also i tried to design them in a way where it was neccesary that those style of elements be used, the lion is a shield and needs to be made of physical materials. the Kraken comes from a puddle. The Demon Tiki spews flames/fumes.

Its also why i these archetypes have some crossover with eachother.

Why should spells like these be limited to certain types of magics. It wouldn’t be fair on people who selected magics that don’t fall under their preferred spell.

1 Like

you can make a water or wind barrier

it doesn’t have to tho, you can still construct it out of anything else

just use microparticles

This sounds really cool and it’s a great way to make awakenings immediately feel powerful. I’d have to imagine that every combination of the 3 magic types would have a spell so nobody is locked out of anything. My only worry is that some magic combinations would have weaker combination spells than other magic combinations, but this could easily be fixed with balancing.

1 Like

to be fair its no different than getting a lost/rare spell scroll when you use a build that doesn’t use magic, same for fighting styles.

You can’t use it, but you can trade it.

Its also why down the line if i come up with more ideas, there would be ones for liquid/liquid, gas/gas, solid/liquid.

so no matter what, a magic build has a unique combination spell.
I’d much prefer variety to everything being completely universal.

that is my intention, i guess i didnt make that clear.

Every combination of the 3 archetypes including 2 of the same would have a unique combination spell.

off the top of my head. (and so i don’t have to draw it out)

solid/Liquid: Shark
The initial form is a shark you ride that “swims” in the ground by creating puddles of the liquid magic, while the main shark is made of the solid magic

The secondary you create a large placeable liquid magic pool of live solid element sharks. that jump out at the water at nearby targets.

Gas/gas: Spirit
The Initial form is unique in that its a gaseous orb floating above and behind your user. (similar to durza) it manifests behind yourself and creates strings of the secondary gas element that take control of the caster. Altering their normal animations to be reminicent of a marionette. it drains energy at a decent rate

The caster itself becomes resistant to attacks, but the gaseous orb is completely vulnerable to ranged attacks, striking all the strings with a melee attacks can end the form early.

The user also has higher mobility, and reduced stamina costs.

The Alternate fire, places the center orb, and creates a field of elemental trip wires which cause the orb to fire a volley of shots alternating between the two elements when broken. Think similar to the 20 meter emerald splash. Every time its tripped it eats up a portion of the users energy

The adjustable stats are the size, which can make the main orb smaller, or the blasts larger at the cost of mana over time.

Strings, Increases the number of trip wires, or the amount of wires on the player that need to be snapped before it breaks, but reduces the damage and increases the stamina costs.

I can’t think of one for Liquid/Liquid, if you guys got idea, id love to hear em.

But the point is id rather the choice of magic have some kind of later game effect with every choice having a unique option, than everyone just picking the “optimal” choice.

1 Like

thinking about it now, maybe umibozu for liquid/liquid, not sure on what it would do though.

Apperance wise the umibozu would have an outer layer of the second liquid magic, and the inner body of the first liquid magic. The second layer acting as the defence, and the first layer the main damage dealing source with the status effect.

Like maybe it would take the shape of the user kinda like how tye long shadow’s astral form works in young justice.

that’s because not only do they function completely differently, but their playstyles are also different completely different from magic’s

even still, my point stands. its not like you can’t already obtain scrolls for skills you can’t use even if you might want to.

Inherently your choices are gonna lock you out of certain options, this is no different.

I dont think people go into picking Juggernaut or Warlord knowing ahead of time that they’ll lose out on pulsar.

it is a cool idea. but we would firstly need to make it so that every magic has atleast something. and THEN also make something similar for the builds that don’t have magic/only one magic.

this would be balancing hell. even if vetex was like a team of 100 people.

yes they do because pulsar is a spell? if you’re going a strength route you don’t want to use magic anyway, that’s the point of going a strength route

high effort post with very cool ideas, dunno how they would be implemented into the game without causing issues

i guess i didnt make it clear enough in the post, these are only a few ideas, if it was implemented there would be more for other combinations, in an above comment i list out a few more ideas

i thought this was like being able to use two different magics at the same time (which it techincally is)
like i can use both fire and magma blast and shoot both at the same time

(Gassy Water Susanoo)

Onto the overall suggestion, very complex considering what Vetex would need to do (he can def do it but it’d be time consuming) but a fairly decent suggestion otherwise. Has my vote largely because the main thing interesting me is the manifest spell type. (Phoenix manifestation for my mage that I plan to rock fire/phoenix/sun)

if you’re going mage you aren’t gonna want fighting styles or weapons anyway, that’s the point of being a mage, same thing with warrior and berserker

This is super cool and the post is super well made. I just don’t think this is reasonable at all to implement. I like the idea of maybe having a few lost spells that combine two magics in a few different ways, I just think all of this is really excessive and doesn’t add that much overall. The categories of magic are also really arbitrary and strange.

1 Like