Deckhand Expansion - More Jobs, Styles & Relics

Deckhand Expansion - More Jobs, Styles & Relics https://forum.arcaneodyssey.dev/uploads/default/original/3X/7/c/7c21441c83fad9f35789271b2410750d9bef8dfd.jpeg
effort 5.0 22 quality 5.0 24 reasonability 4.727272727272728 22

Deckhands are at a great spot right now- and the feeling of hiring your own crew and expanding on their skills is very fun. However, I figure I’d throw out even more Jobs, Relics and Styles to make the system shine like a diamond. Hopefully down the line we’ll be able to have more deckhands, which means we might be able to have all six jobs on our ship at once! I have cooked up a few more jobs to keep things interesting and inject more variety.

DECKHAND PROFESSIONS

My expansion comes with Six new professions! Here is the list in all its glory, but let me tackle them one by one!

Longshoreman

Words a mouthfull- but in nautical terminology it refers to someone who loads and unloads a ship.

Effects

“Slightly Increases the value of sold Cargo per level. Starting at higher levels, Longshoreman will also save some of the objects on deck and in your cargo hold when your ship sinks. Objects are chosen at random, and the max amount you can have saved is 25% of your ship items once the profession is maxed.”

Forager

Since Fishing is something the crew can do now, I figured Foraging could be a fun side bonus.

Effects

Having a Forager on your crew enables your crew to embark out when you are parked at an island. They will gather various fruits and herbs, the speed at which depends on your Foragers level. At higher levels, the crew can also gather potion reagents.

Midshipman

On old vessels, a Midshipman was one step below the ‘officers’. Consider them essentially ‘officers in training’. They are the line between your crews top commanders and the run-of-the-mill sailors.

Effects

“Midshipman forgo a unique ability to increase the effectiveness of the base stat given by the deckhand. The bonus starts at 10% and levels up to 50% at max. Keep in mind, Deckhands are limited to only one per profession.”

Lookout

It’s cool that we have crows nests on some ships- but why not put them to use?

Effects

“Lookouts have an active ability that acts as a sort of pseudo-clearsight. It can be stacked with clearsight for incredible vision both in and out of the dark sea. The amount of vision they give- and how long the ability lasts, depends on their level. Also as a minor bonus, maybe they can make callouts of the directions of objects of interest within the Dark Sea (“Captain, Land ho, Starboard!”)” If I may be so daring, perhaps anyone sitting in the lookout chairs of the brig is given a nerfed version of the Lookout ability. Could give people something to do teamwork wise in the navigation of the dark sea.

Helmsman

Pretty important on ships but in AO the captain also takes the role of a Helmsman. Still, we could breathe some life into this role.

Effects

“The Helmsman possesses an active ability that drastically increases turning speed for a very short time. Levels simply affect cooldown. At higher levels, while the ability is active, the ram could deal less recoil damage.”

Spymaster

A more complicated Deckhand but I designed it to arguably be a criminal players best friend. They possess a myriad of lesser abilities- none too strong individually but hopefully together enough to make him one you consider having.

Effects

"The Spymaster possesses three abilities. He starts with one. Your poster location will take longer to update. As well, anytime someone grabs your poster, you are alerted. You are not told who, however there will be text “Your spies send warnings that someone is after you. Doesn’t work in the Dark Sea.”

“Their second ability, gained at the third level, is ‘Lights Out’. All of the ships lights are turned off, and its speed is slowed a bit. This ability is active, and has to be toggled on and off. While on, the aggro range of all ships is reduced severely, as well, ships outside their aggro range can lose aggro, including Atlantean Ships.”

"Third and last, is very simple, you can pay your spymaster a reduced rate to clear Notoriety. They also slow the rate at which you get Notoriety significantly."

RELICS

I have cooked up four new relics to accompany these new professions.

DeckhandSharkTooth

Shark Tooth Charm

Decreases damage your ship receives from sea monsters & wildlife.

DeckhandTurtle

Turtle Shell

Decreases how much damage your crew receives from all sources.

DeckhandFishHook

Golden Fishing Hook

Increases the Rarity Chance for the Fish your Crew Catches

DeckhandGoldenFeather

Golden Feather

Increases how fast your ship reaches maximum speed.

NEW STYLES

Ravenna: Ensign Armor, Centurion Armor

Sameria: Samerian Armor

Bandit - Leather Armor (Including color variations), Bandanna, Hunting Set, Eyepatch, Mercenary set

Oracle - Oracle Armor Set, Oracle Robes Set, Alithea Set, Oracle Bracelet

All in all, I think all of this would make for a wonderful addition to the Deckhand system. It is of course, not an imperative suggestion, but once we get later into development and have bigger ships with more deckhands, it’d be nice to see a bit more!

Thanks for your time.

EXTRAS

More Stuff

I didn’t want to include these in the main idea because I found fault with them, but I did actually think of three more proffesions.

Artificter

Increases the effectiveness of the relics your equip your crew with.

Boarding Captain

Has a toggleable ability. While on, anytime you sink a ship, your crew will take some damage, and the enemy crew will in turn be weakened, starting with some damage taken. The damage your crew deals & receives is based on level

Thought it was cool but its a bit convoluted overall.

Monster Hunter

Increases drop rate of sea monsters. This one I didn’t add because its simply too niche and would barely see anyone ever run it.

28 Likes

peak…

also holy cungadero I NEED to get my hands on a midshipman and a Helmsman

1 Like

yay a new suggestion
this one is fire good job
my main has bounty and could really use a spy or lookout

1 Like

ngl i feel like this could just be a merchant thing

2 Likes

These are the kind of suggestions we like to see!

1 Like

Spymaster, Lookout, and Golden Feather gonna be the new PvP meta and I’m all here for it.

1 Like

Yeah it’d fit merchant too, I just thought of the ability to ‘save stuff’ when you sink and then realized it felt a little too strong to just be a relic but a little too situational to be a deckhand ability all on its own. So I slapped together Longshoreman to make a whole package of a crew member that sort of ‘manages’ your cargo.

very cook

1 Like

Makes me think that it would be interesting if our crew would instead branch out instead of level up

1 Like

1 Like

does this apply to both positive and negative renown?

i dont really like the first benefit here, having something just come at a discount is… unoriginal for an upgrade and makes people want to stick to their ship more, also why does this only apply to negative renown? feels like the negative renown is getting an advantage here

1 Like

i do think all professions beside the helmsman are pretty op and gamechanging compared to the current professions (forager im just scared macro nerds would abuse it somehow), but its not necessarily a bad thing. itd put some more emphasis on choosing a playstyle for your ship and character.
also the golden feather has a pretty… direct effect unlike pretty much all other artifacts who dont really do anything to make sailing and combat better but thats just a detail. dont think its op.

ill still vote cuz those are interesting changes, and the point of a suggestion isnt to be perfectly balanced in its descriptions. the issues if any can still be fixed afterward
i dont usually rate suggestions but might as well for once

1 Like

Peak suggestions are so rare these days

1 Like

Cooked but I really wish Longshoreman is apart of Merchant

1 Like

Both

Spymaster is meant specifically TO help negative renown, but it possesses abilities to make it more generally useful- otherwise it would be too niche to consider picking. The upgrades up to max would increase the effectiveness of the active ability- its just at max you get this additional ability as well. Kind of like how navigator boosts your whirlpool escape chance. That’s not overly useful- just a nice side bonus. The goal of Spymaster is that it does not have a single, incredibly strong ability, but rather a plethora of smaller, quality of life abilities- some of which are specifically helpful to villains, but with enough left that positive reps can enjoy it too.

I’d argue the base proffesions are just as- if not more game changing. (Ignore Merchant and Chef). It’s all about choices. Golden Feather sounds a bit strong but I’d imagine you’d only see a CONSIDERABLE difference if you maxed out all your deckhands with it. Otherwise it just shaves like a quarter of a second off. Still, It was one of the better relics I came up with so I kept it in.

As for balance- this is why I avoid speaking in numbers and statistics. Just saying what something does vaguely is fine, it can be properly balanced later. The fundamentals are what’s important.

As I said earlier, I really just wanted the ‘keep your stuff when your ship sinks’ as a core deckhand mechanic but also realized that in and of itself isn’t useful enough to warrant a whole proffession around just that so it needed a bit of a bonus. Luckily, theres a historic job on ships that makes sense for that.

If you really wanted to shift it, give Merchant the bonus sell price and make Longshoreman increase the unload speed of your ship drastically.

2 Likes

Honestly its WAY too much jobs for my brain to handle but still sounds cool

1 Like

God Damn Bro you didn’t just cook but you cooked a 5 star meal like damn.

1 Like

so if you park your boat at othrys would foragers get coppershrooms?!

1 Like

Yeah, that’s the idea- though it’d probably be limited like crew auto-fishing is.