Does anybody have tips for drawing clothes?

need help trying to draw clothes the wrinkles and everything is giving me a migraine aaa

kinda want my clothes to look like this:

3 Likes

not my art btw

yeah

I do have a tip, if you are drawing a member of the female species of human then I hear that clothes aren’t necessary so you don’t have to draw them! :smiley:

11 Likes

fuck ton of references, break down the clothes in shape

is this an application or interview or smth?

it’s a tip to use a lot of references

Send source

holy shit marikinonline4 fanart in the wild

ok that aside, try tracing real-life clothes’ wrinkles to develop some sort of instinct/sense in drawing folds

also there’s a few stuff you may want to keep in mind:

1. cloth’s thickness or texture (whether it’s thin, hard, soft, thick, whatever) can affect the fold’s shapes
  2. where folds can happen. shit happens when clothes bend (at shoulder, elbow, where body parts twist, joints and shit)
  3. honestly, you gotta use your sense to judge whether the folds you drew are too much or too little. i usually use my"if it fits the style i’m going for then it works" lens to help me judge

more source and stuff on cloth’s folds

4 Likes

go down in this twitter thread for the fanart source (that fanarts rlly popular in mo4 fandom and shits been reposted a lot of times :sob:)

https://twitter.com/moimoi_pa/status/1137273530230251521

You need jesus

That is one long ass thread

1 Like

I am gonna be totally honest here, no offense, but the tip “use references” is the laziest, most unhelpful, crappiest piece of advice ever.

like I really cannot be the only artist who hates it when you ask anything in art and there’s always that one mf who goes “duhhh just use references”

like I think at this stage most artists at my or your level understand that references are important to the process

sorry for the rant but ong

2 Likes

anyways most the advice here is actually pretty decent so thank you

Understandable, it is how I learn myself and I find it the best for me so yeah

it’s how most of us if not all of us learn though, references are pretty important.

it just gets obnoxious when ya know you’re already pretty established with art and there’s ALWAYS that one person who says “use references” like you’re stupid and don’t get that already

Yeah Sure, but are any of the references not helping you?

One other way is tracing it since you’re aiming for this style, and this one where you use your finger and a tissue to create wrinkles

no I mean references do kinda help but it’s still difficult copying or trying to comprehend how folds work and stuff

tryna find like a certain universally applicable way

1 Like

Try wearing similar clothes yourself IRL and looking at how it bends and wrinkles, can help you understand it on a universal level

okay

what if i’m drawing like a fighting scene tho with a lot of perspective or moving components