Dreamkeeper The Avatar

I’ll be posting PvP fights here to show my journey on graduating from a fodder and hoping for critique or advice along the way.
here’s the first batch recorded using roblox’s record function :fr:(it sucks ik I have to upscaled each of these and there’s no sound so any recommendation would be nice.) There won’t be any more of these until the end of the 25th.
As I’m trying to learn I tried my best to avoid using abuse AoE spells so please don’t call me out on that. Here are the 3 fights I think I could use some improvement.

Whats your build?

outplayed or medal
videos are not loading for me for some reason raah

1 Like

First of all. As OnionCream said, use a different recording engine. Personally, I’m not fond of Medal’s advertising. Other options are GeForce Experience or OBS (better for long videos).

On the first clip, it’s pretty fine for a beginner. Most Mages don’t use shiftlock, those who do are referred to as “shotgun mages”, but if it works for you you don’t have to change anything.
I see you use Javelin more than Blast, which is fine, even though I see it being used more for punishing than as standard attack. The 1:03 and 1:07 parts really shows why mobility matters…
1:14 G, a step above those who don’t know the button exists.

Second is also fine, great Surge finisher (that’s how the spell is used)
Your stamina remains too high, which means you should high jump more often for a positional advantage over your opponent, who likes eating Javelins (yoshi8me, a leaderboard player since the game’s release, loves eating ten-hit Light Snares).

Two Shadow Snare misses on third, good parries at 1:28 and 2:32. You held the surge at 1:51 for too long, which caused you to take unnecessary damage. A nice placed explosion finisher at the end. Stamina usage was higher here, so perhaps ignore part 2

1 Like

should’ve used javelin when he was in lag in the air in the first video instead of trying to read, it would’ve hit given your speed. Would’ve really suggest using blast if their constantly moving that fast unless its at the ground or their close and in lag. Work on your aim a little with beam.

(please take note that I play mage at close range and am more of a casual than a PvPer)

1 Like

We were both gearless

Brilliant suggestions. I’ll try it altho given javelin projectile size and pulse AoE, I thought it would be more of a zoning/punishing tool.

I’ve straight up never heard this term before :skull:
you sure you didn’t make this up?

don’t pvp gearless, worked in wom, doesn’t work in ao

I’ve heard it used about three times, on separate occassions from a tester/balance team member. Probably Selectorch.
Not enough for it to be clear in my mind, though. It’s a real term that exists.

I wouldn’t say so. WOM fundamentals made a lot of people in AO already above average in PVP compared to newgens that never played a Vetexgame in their life. Gearless PVP is a good place to start to learn the PVP fundamentals, if you ask me.

Punishing endlag, learning how to predict, hitting out of endlag shots, all of these things will be easier to do when you both have equal stats. It could be similar to a 20 FPS player becoming a 60 FPS player- something similar to playing in a Gravity Chamber(referring to DBZ).
When that 20 FPS player becomes a 60 FPS player, as if their real abilities have been unlocked, that 20-now-60-FPS player would be three or two times better at the game than they were while playing 20 FPS. It’s happened to those around me and to myself. Even if it’s not such a big increase, I’ve genuinely seen some of my PVE player friends start doing much better in PVP the second they get better FPS.

Back to gearless PVP. I figure it’s basically the same thing. You’re forcing yourself to play with harsher conditions and more clear punishments. The gameplay might even be slower, but just like a Gravity Chamber, the second you get proper gear you’ll be a beast.

1 Like

The reason I disagree, is because gearless pvp and geared pvp are COMPLETELY different. Maybe it’ll help with aim but it won’t help with predicting as you’re not dealing with agility demons or anything of that sort.

The reason gearless pvp in world of magic actually meant something is because the only difference between geared and gearless was damage and HP. Gearless actually helped with geared pvp because of that.

And the reason good pvpers from WoM were already (most of them) good at AO pvp is because after it released, agility demons and dodge reflex didn’t exist. There was a minimal difference between mage gameplay in wom and ao. Now it’s entirely different due to sunken warrior, agility, and dodge reflex. People who already adapted to the slight differences between AO and WoM had less of a struggle adapting to the bigger changes that (especially dodge reflex) were brought to the game as time went on.

I suppose but it won’t bring you very far.

Yeah but you rarely have equal stats or even similar builds. The differences between gearless and geared pvp are too great :man_shrugging:

People saying gearless pvp is good

I fought a wind conjurer imbuement as a mage, I aint ever doing gearless again after that since the stat difference got me tweaking

(Also agility demon gearless)

I learned the term from the first comment’s reply of this video, and it stuck on me since then :upside_down_face:

I need this man’s build…

this is kinda unrelated but javelin ult art is gonna look sick

that explains it, it’s a ao ytber thing

Here’s a follow-up. This time I fought an Ash Thermo (which I barely know how to fight against). Updated my recorder (thanks to @OnionCream ), switched from Vulkan to OpenGL. As always, critique is welcomed and often times needed, as I appreciate any tips coming my way in improving myself.

Wish you all a happy day.

thanks for posting it on youtube i literally could not load the vids on forums
like i would leave the tab open for an hour and come back and it still wouldn’t be loaded

2 Likes

please fix your armor first…

Bro this is the crap I’ve been facing on the forums multiple times I can’t even view PvP clips here man. (Do not reply any further I’m derailing for a bit)