Education for children/teenager/adult with physical disabilities & mental disorders in your country?

In early 2019, I had a chance to visit a certain school. It was no ordinary trip however, but a school visit to one of the few special schools in the city.

The exchange we had with their students was, as you may guess, kinda awkward. It was mostly the teachers doing most of the talking and organizing games, save for a few students from both sides interacting with each other.

By the end of that day, I realized, “Hey, so all those with disabilities go to schools like this.” I didn’t pay any attention to it until, like, a few years later, when me and my friends were cozied up in discord VC watching A Silent Voice (really good btw) that I learnt people with impairments in other countries attend the same school as those without.

How about yours? Does your country allow those with disabilities to attend school along those without? Do you have any stories to share?

1 Like

theres this one special needed kid in my… elementary school i think?

hes a lot older than us and is basically what you’d expect, doesnt cause much trouble tho and just… “not there” most of the time

then theres this guy in the secondary school… i had to restrain myself from punching him in the guts for reasons i would keep undisclose

physical disabilities, theres this girl with… im not sure tbh, i just know that she has weak legs ( or maybe just in general? im not sure since i dont know her personally ) and need someone to help her up the stairs or use crutches

thats about it for my school, im pretty sure there are schools for special needed children but ive never been to one nor looked them up before so i dont really know, most seems to be private schools from what i can remember

tl;dr:

yes

1 Like

I’ve been diagnosed with autism last year. Since my diagnosis I have been following therapy sessions which have ended a month or two ago since I don’t have any need for them anymore.

After my school received the diagnosis I have been given the “privilege card” which basically gives you 10 minutes extra time on exams, along with a free pass to exit during class whenever I want if things get too much. I usually use it to go make my homework on a quiet space. I am also wearing noise canceling headphones at almost all time whenever I’m out of the house now and it’s been helping quite a lot. I did this even before the diagnosis but the teachers didn’t really like it and often had asked me to take them off.

I also have a teacher at school with who I regularly speak with. She helps me sort things out that are more situational, like things that happened in the last week. She has been of much greater help than the therapist, because you discuss much more general things with the therapist.

I still go to a public school with more than 1000 students, and we recently received a new school building which wasn’t designed to hold that many students as we have, but the school has been dealing quite well with the diagnosis and I’m happy with what I got.

So that was my perspective and personal experiences with what the school did for my diagnosis. It could be very different for other people.

4 Likes

Hopefully this is not the same for the entire country but…

No.

I’ve never seen special needs school anywhere near where I live and in the city. The only time you can consider it “good” is that some schools have elevators and people with broken legs and go on the elevators with a pass. (My school has a hell lotta stairs)

I’ve seen one autism specialized school but that’s it.

1 Like

I’m glad you got the help and support from those cared for you. I’ve been struggling with cyclothymia for 5 years now and the first period when I was still in denial, i.e, keeping it to myself + months of COVID quarantine changed me for the worse

They go to the same school, and if they are severely mentally disabled they go to their own class. If it’s just a physical disability like being wheelchair-bound then they get to be in the same class as everyone else, but they have a caretaker with them. It might be different in other counties or states though.

1 Like

I have been diagnosed with autism at age 4 and it was kinda real I was extremely unhinged when I was young and was kinda dumb ngl, but when I got older I got a hold of myself idk how prob because of my parents uhh doing things

these a course for special needs kids which gives you 2x time for tests and computer access for tests??? I now highly regret taking the course because it was so boring and was talking about basic stuff it is a free credit but just a waste of a credit that I could have gained by doing something better than just sitting there listening to a teacher yapping about focusing NEVER taking the course again

2 Likes

When I was in 11th grade gym class (They took away one of my classes for no reason and plopped me in there even though I already took the class in middle school, AND STARTED FAILING ME IN SAID CLASS???) for some reason they combined the gym class and special ed class into 1 so naturally that caused problems you’d expect.

The special ed kids were really attached to me for some reason and thought I was their mom (I hated everyone at school indiscriminately but I hated them a little less) There was also a time where some dude was fighting one of the special kids and everybody was laughing. It was messed up but it happens I guess.

overall 10/10 Special education system for my former school (sarcasm)

2 Likes

yep had that experience as well. shitfucks see we’re struggling in a class we dont like and what do they do? take away one of our elective classes (ie the classes we take for fun) and force us to take a shit class where we do nothing but lower our gpa.

1 Like

also dayum we got all the special ed students in this thread wsg gang :muscle:
images

1 Like

My favourite in secondary school was Programming class, I studied hard and perform really well on it but all of a sudden in 9th grade it was removed to make place for Arts because a few students couldn’t keep up with programming ( I was like, what the fuck? )

We don’t have elective class here tho so it was a forced subject

1 Like

I believe that my school does allow people with disorders and disabilities to attend school, yeah. I don’t see them around most of the time though, only in the cafeteria (i eat near them) and some glimpses of them in the halls.

My brother sort of takes care of the disabled kids back in the middle school. Apparently a student he was watching over grabbed at another one (thankfully the situation was handled well by both sides.)

i agree, i genuinely enjoyed the movie :+1:

2 Likes