Enchanting [ Tis A Rant / something meant to start a discussion ]

Disclaimers - First off i’m aware that vetex won’t ever change the enchanting system [ from what vetex has said on the matter anyhow ]
Second, this is more of a rant / discussion starter than a suggestion [ if i was serious i’d just post it in suggestions ]
Third, i haven’t gotten any pieces of the sunken iron set nor has rng blessed me with excalibur i mean the sunken sword.
Fourth, pls don’t pull a " just be grateful that WOM even has enchanting since AA didn’t " how does trying to justify a bad mechanic by comparing it to another mechanic that’s worse somehow make it a good one? a bad mechanic is a bad mechanic aight?
Fifth and final, i don’t expect anything to actually happen from this i just feel like ranting about something that i just can’t seem to get over ya know?

I suppose i’ll start with the sunken iron set as it’s honestly the only example we have of just how soul crushing the enchanting system can be.
The sword is pretty godly and is a must have for anyone who likes to fight at close range [ it’s ability should have a 10 sec cooldown instead of a 5 sec though ], the helmet is just flat out worse than a magic size amulet with a hard enchantment, the chest and boots are pretty good if you want both magic size and defense without sacrificing much and even with say a swift enchantment is still a great piece of gear.
Even so it just can’t even compare to a fellow sunken iron piece with say a hard or a bursting enchantment which makes sense that’s what the gear is meant for.
This isn’t necessarily a bad thing as you still have a good piece of gear that is doing as intended.
So what’s the issue you got an enchantment that wasn’t to your taste so just trade it for a piece that has the enchantment you desire?
Well the issue is that this system feels so unnecessary and doesn’t add to the game it’s there simply to make what would be without the system a 10 - 80 hour grind [ if rng flips you off ] into a 80 - 500+ hour grind [ the + being if rng really really hates you ].
Do keep in mind that that’s just the grind for rare gear not legendary gear, legendary gear could very well be a 2,000 - 5,000 hour grind depending on just how much your rng sucks. [ for reference 2.4k hours translates to 100 days of flat out grinding ]
We could argue that this is fine as enchantments aren’t needed and getting a perfect set with the enchantments that suits you is your problem and not the game’s fault, however my problem with it is there are better ways that enchanting could’ve been set up that would still make some sense lore wise and wouldn’t be a system that is pointlessly grindy and discourages testing out different enchantments such as - Being able to ask a alchemist to disenchant your rare + gear [ unlimited times because even in a game with lore you gotta stretch it for the sake of quality of life stuff because players still have somewhat of a life ] for a hefty price as disenchanting gear is expensive and can only be done on items that are strong enough to survive it, though as disenchanting still takes a toll on even the strongest of items you have to wait 4-24 hours to do it again to let the item’s molecular structure restabilize because otherwise it’ll become nothing more than a glorified relic? [ this would also act as a way to keep players logging in every once in awhile ]
My point is why just why? It just isn’t needed and only subtracts from the overall fun of the game.
And with that i shall end my respectful rant with a poll so that others may passively rant with me or disagree because everyone has the right to their opinion.

Plz read the post first before voting
Also enchanting being reworked doesn’t necessarily have to be what i proposed it could very well be something along the lines of what Meta suggested, just something other than what we have right now.
[ Though personally i’d prefer that the enchantment system was a combination of what i threw out there as a fix and Meta’s suggestion ]

• Enchanting needs to be reworked somehow
  • Nah enchanting’s fine the way it is

0 voters

3 Likes

Mods plz don’t close this, i get it’s a topic that has been kicked around a bit more than it should but i do believe it’s worth ranting about in a civil fashion.

Also here a link to what Meta suggested a couple days ago

1 Like

Considering the price of enchanting and obtainability of rare gear, I just think that items above Common rarity should get a bit more out of enchantments, since rare gear typically give more stats than usual and their percentage of increased effectiveness from enchants would be naturally lower.

6 Likes

i read your post on that actually i agree that’ll help the issue a bit.
not enough for my taste but yeah that’d be nice at least

Buffing rare enchants would make it worse though?
The problem with enchantments being so RNG heavy is that if you get a rare item, you then have to get the 1/8 for it to even beat common items.

Stuff like the sunken sword is ok because it doesn’t depend on it’s enchant to be good - a hard sunken sword isn’t optimal, but it’s still a great weapon and worth using.
At the same time, a destructive sunken chestpiece is worthless, because it’s base stats aren’t good enough to beat a well enchanted common item.

If enchantment RNG is a problem, the last thing we want is to make rare items rely even more on their enchants.

3 Likes

Yeah then it would suck even more when you got a bad enchant

True that could have the flip side of making geting an enchantment that has absolutely nothing to do with the build your going for or doesn’t go well with the item it’s on all the more crushing.
Though it is more of a matter of taste on whether a destructive sunken chest piece is worthless, it’s still a hybrid that offers slightly more defense than iron armor and the magic size of warrior armor [ with a bit more scaling to my knowledge ]
but that a common iron piece with a hard enchantment gives more defense than a sunken piece with anything other than hard does feel off but i think that’s fine as it doesn’t give a particularly large amount more than it.

Wow this post/rant got a bit more attention than i expected lol.
As such i added a couple things to the post such as just how long the legendary grind may end up being. [ mainly spelling checks though as i’m not exactly great at spelling ]
2k - 5kish hours is just…

I totally fuckin agree with this post, the enchanting system just adds needless, unfun grind. For common items like wizard robes and amulets, it’s totally fine to find multiple and have RNG enchants, as you can still get a full build in like maybe 10 hours, which is a reasonable amount of time to spend on a game.

But for sunken, I only got my first sunken at 8.8k fish, and my next one a few hundred later. They were both leggings. If I have to go through 35.2k fish (8.8k x 4) just to get a 1/8 chance enchant on one piece of fairly bad gear, what the fuck?

Even if the sunken armor is pretty bad, what about the sunken sword, which is totally busted and the main meta for PvP? How long should I have to go to get a sunken sword with a good enchant?

Damn 8.8k… i’ve fished up a grand total of 800, in the beginning i thought about fishing a bunch but then i took a look at the odds and went aw hell nah and to this day i’m determined to only fish here and there for the sword.
Good to know that i’m not the only one who feels strongly about the current enchanting system.

meant to reply to ya but must’ve misclicked lol

I made an autofishing program at 500 fish because I knew that this would be a horrible fucking grind with my luck. And guess what, I was fucking right! 8.8k fish and about 2 weeks of programming, debugging, and fishing overnight combined for 2 fucking useless sunken leggings that I can’t even get a good enchant on unless I risk my shitty luck again.

ah while i don’t agree with autofishing [ which is allowed so who am i to judge ] i can still feel ya though as the grind for the bait alone is time consuming to say the least…
yeah the legs are next to worthless if you get anything other than hard or bursting on them.
I wouldn’t say their worthless though as they’re still a hybrid with slightly better stats than their counterparts combined just worthless compared to a piece with an enchantment that favors the set.

:frcryin: man some people get the full set + sword in like 2-4k fish, I really just wanted to get a sunken sword
I didn’t want to spend the 184 hours it took to get these pieces fishing so I learned a whole new programming language just for this program, only to get 2 leggings after a horrible amount of fish

Yeah i’m not even sure if i want to even try to get the sunken set. considering that i ended up enchanting 10 wizard robes once in an attempt to get the hard enchantment on one and still couldn’t get it. [ i gave up and just stuck with a power one rip ]

And to this day my build remains incomplete :frcryin:

Note - this screen shot was from a week ago so the minor flex that is the $ value of my inventory is a bit higher

hey, I got the full set. I just don’t have the sword. Now, if only I could trade one of my 4 helmets for something…

I kid you not, I get a helmet, chest, legs, helmet, helmet, helmet. I’m starting to think I’m only going to get helmets, from now on. Helms for the Helm god.

That’s also a problem I’ve noticed with sunken. Literally nothing below sunken that can fit in one trade is worth sunken, and nothing below sunken sword is worth sunken sword. Once you get sunken stuff, you really can’t do anything with it especially if you’re not planning on using it.

ouch 4 helms without a sword… 1 sucks, 2 just plain hurts mentally, 3 is the universe flipping you off and by 4 your practically dead inside.
Accurate depiction?

You’re kind of dead inside by the 3rd, but at least the sunken chestplate and boots are like “hey man, at least we’re not COMPLETE garbage,” and you feel a little bit better. And once you turn around to go back to fishing, the another helm surfaces from the depths with a sledge hammer and smashes your kneecaps in.