Eternity Man | Chapter 2

Eternity Man - Chapter 2

Erwin: Age 5

“And that’s what I do in a day boys and girls!” Sheriff Ryker said to the group of children around him.

“Uhh, Sheriff Erwin’s Dad Sir, could I ever be a police officer too?” One of the children in the group asked.

“Sure, but you have to be tough and very strong!” Sheriff Ryker responded while in a very country accent. He then got up and waved to all of the children around.

“Alright class, give Erwin and his dad a round of applause for giving us this for Erwin’s Bring a Parent to School Day!” The teacher in the classroom said to the class. “It’s time for recess! Oh and don’t forget Annabel that tomorrow is your turn!”

“I don’t have parents.” The little girl responded.

“Well then a family member will do!”

“I don’t have any family members.”

“Well then who do you live with?” The teacher asked. A silence was then brought to the little girl and she didn’t say a word and stood blank.

“Annabel who do you live with?” The same silence was from the little girl once again as the teacher grew more worrisome. The children then ran out the doors to go play in the playground that sat next to the school. It had everything like a swing set, a sand pit, a metal slide, and even a table for make believe tea parties.

After school, Erwin was driven home in the Sheriff’s black truck that withstood all types of dirt roads and dents of deer attacks.

“So how was school today Lil’ Erwin?”

“It was very good Papa! I learned a lot of things like the letters of the elephant!”

The Sheriff then laughed. “I think you mean alphabet. Let’s drive on home so we can get those sweet cookies from Mamma!”

Both Sheriff Ryker and his wife were pretty old people with hair the color of puffy clouds. The Sheriff was usually the leader of the town behind the mayor and drives around every day to see how the people of the town are doing. His wife, Ruth, creates bunches of sweets like pies and cakes for everyone because she’s just that sweet. On holidays, everyone gathers at the Sheriff’s home so that they can taste Ruth’s southern style cooking as well as have competitions with each other.

When Erwin came into the rustic style kitchen, Ruth was there chopping away onions and carrots for her soup that she’s going to make. Erwin then ran up to her to give a big hug.

“I may be in my 70’s, but that doesn’t stop me from giving you the biggest hugs!” Ruth and Erwin are two who are very close. Ruth then picked up Erwin on a stool so that he could see what she was as doing. Ryker then kissed her and went upstairs to put on more comfortable clothing and take a nice, hot bath.

“You see these things in front of you? These are called ingredients!” Ruth told Erwin

“What do they do?” Erwin curiously asked.

“It’s not about what they do, but what they create! Here take this.” Ruth then gave Erwin a piece of raw onion that she had just recently chopped up. Erwin immediately began to spit it out. Ruth then smiled at him.

“Now let’s see what happens when we mix all of these things up and add a little magic!” Ruth then began to chop more vegetables, boil some water, use her seasonings, and seemed to be making a large potion like witches do in movies.

Once it was done, she put a bowl in front of Erwin, used a spoon to get a piece of onion while also having a bit of the broth from the soup in the spoon as well. She then put it in front of Erwin’s face after blowing it for him.

“Now try!” Erwin then reluctantly reached for the spoon and put it inside of his mouth. Joy filled his face once he realized that the disgusting onion that was in his mouth became so good after doing so many things to it.

“You see Erwin, the onion didn’t taste as well as it does now because the onion improved. Some things may have been added to it, but it’s still the same onion as before! When you become a big and strong young man, just remember that whenever you need to improve as a person when you’re older, you too can add ingredients to yourself but always make sure to still be the same onion as before!”

Erwin was then confused and responded with a “What?”.

Ruth then beamed a smile down on him as Erwin smiled back. “Dinner is served!” Ruth said excitedly.

End of Chapter 2

1 Like