Feedback For My Post On Enchanting

To clarify this post isn’t about continuing any arguments, it’s for feedback.
By which i mean, what could’ve I written better, do you think i did a good job presenting my side of the argument and do you think if/when vetex ever gets around to reading it that something will come out of it?
[ though i’m fine with the debate continuing in the reply section as long as it stays civil ]
Here’s a copy of the post for context

Quick Disclaimer - This post also includes stuff about enchantment scrolls, so it’s not outdated.
[ Reading the fine print on what enchantments scrolls will actually do is still important ]

Copy Of - At Long Last Here Are My Thoughts About Enchanting In The Form Of A Suggestion

Created 8/27/2020 & Received 32 Votes [ Including Mine ]

Before you click off please at least hear me out.

Yes i’m aware of the fact that alot of people are tired of seeing posts like this.
I’m also aware of what vetex has said on the matter but i figured i might aswell officially throw in my 2 cents on the topic in the form of a suggestion.

Side note - Vetex if you ever get around to reading this please read my note to you & #4.
[ I put this here since your time is limited and those are the only things that I think are worth your time ]

Why Should Enchanting Even Be Changed In The First Place?

This section can be ignored if your already informed on the matter.
Though even so i wouldn’t recommend skipping it since there may be a few points that you may not be aware of.
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

1. Enchanting doesn’t feel like a high risk high reward situation which it can end up being in some cases, it feels more like getting an add for your gear.
    An example of this would be a poison / any dot magic user, getting a forceful enchantment.

2. Enchanting is completely based on rng which combined with #1 makes it feel like it’s the systems fault not yours for taking a risk.
    Personally i believe this is one of the main reasons why people get pretty frustrated with enchanting.

3. Enchanting is an important part of min maxing which is the current end game.
    [ Quick fact check of sorts - Enchanting gives a +20% ish stat increase to whatever stat it gives if the piece of gear that it’s put on already has that stat and as such does actually have an affect on game play. ]
    Having something like this be locked behind an incredibly frustrating grind only serves to frustrate players not give them something fun to do.

4. The current enchanting system can either significantly reduce an item’s value or it can increase it to the point where it can only be traded with other extremely rare items.
    [ items that can easily take 100+ hours to get ]
    Which isn’t good for the economy at all since it severely decreases the value of crowns, and we only have access to rare tier items so I can only imagine what it’ll do to legendary items.

5. Enchanting is ****^-^ frustrating, i haven’t even bothered with rare items because i happen to be among the many individuals who have tried to get a particular enchantment on an item only to give up after 10+ tries.

6. Ask yourself would having a quality of life feature such as re enchanting ruin the game?
    The answer is no all it would do is make it so that players can customize their gear as they want without having to spend hundreds of hours.
    [ It would instead just take 5-10 hours of doing other more fun things that give crowns ]
    Statistically getting a particular enchantment on say a sunken iron helm for example costs 6k+ crowns so even with re re enchanting it is by no means " too easy ".

7. So with all that said do you think that re enchanting should be a feature?
    If you do then pls give this suggestion a vote so that vetex can know that even though he doesn’t seem to like re enchanting, there is a legitimate demand for it.

If you want more reasons as to why it should be a feature, these quotes should help to provide further context.
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
Quote by “TheGalaxyWatcher”
"possibly but since we don’t know what they’re drop rates will be, we can’t be sure just yet.
Cause from what i can tell there will be 14+ types of enchantment scolls, assuming that they each take around 3 hours to get [ it’ll probably be more ] that means that it’ll take 42 hours to get one enchantment that you want, which means that enchanting will still be unnecessarily tedious.

Tbh I just don’t like that a 20% stat boost which is really just min maxing to be behind such a massive grind."
Quote by “Meta”
If you could override enchantments, then items with no enchantments would have minimal value compared to items with a low-demand enchant. Plus, why would you enchant an item via Alchemist if you’d rather directly look for the enchantment you desire?

Counter quote by “TheGalaxyWatcher”
"That’s a valid point, but once the scrolls come out not many are gonna use the alchemist anyways.
[ for rare+ gear that is ]
I mean i’m sure as hell not gonna, not when i could go looking for the enchantment that i want.

Them being able to override enchantments would really just make it so that people at least attempt to get the enchantment that they want first, before using a scroll.

Which is also why i still defend re enchanting actually, because with it scrolls would mainly be used for really expensive to enchant items and the alchemist would still be used for everything else, which would make sense since they’re an exotic tier item.

It would also make alchemists serve as a massive crown sink, which should help crowns maintain some sort of value."
"So pretty much i only think that enchanting scrolls will do much of value is if a few conditions are met.
Scrolls being something that you can get once every 1-2 hours of chest grinding
Combined with
Also if necessary for balance re enchanting an item could be made so that it costs 10% more crowns each time you re enchant that item until you hit the current crown cap
Another balancing measure that could be taken is adding a 1-24 hour cooldown period before you can re enchant again
If these two balances were added, enchanting would become so so much less tedious and enchantment scrolls would still be a highly useful item.

Which should help make enchanting feel more like a bit of a tedious grind that is only really something that min maxers bother with, instead of the current ah hell nah grind."
Quote by “Uncoool”
“And how is it “easy” to get the best possible armor when it costs like 1.2k crowns just to enchant a sunken chestplate once, while that’s not even planned to be the best, most rare armor.
Even with re-enchanting, getting the “best” possible gear is difficult because one: the best possible gear is already extremely hard to obtain at all and two: it’s super expensive just to enchant ONCE, so doing it multiple times is gonna take a lot of hard earned cash”
Quote by “FrostByte”
“if you could re-enchant then whats the point of getting more than one item? whats the point of the market. Sure the rare items like the sunken but literally no one gives those out. Oh i want to get a defense amulet with hard i just disenchant this random one i found and just keep going at it. it isnt that fun to just need one item for everything sure grinding for that item is wayyyy harder than what i just said but at least you have to work for it you get crowns from chest farming anyways.”

“For most there wouldn’t be a point.
However for players that like to have several different sets with certain enchantments it’d just make it easier for them.
An example would be having a full set of sunken iron with defense & having a separate set with bursting.
To sum it up “quality of life”
it shouldn’t take hundreds of hours to get a full set of rare gear with certain enchantments in my humble opinion.”
Quote by “Meta”
Re-enchanting would minimalize general player build diversity and make meta shifting way easier. If you get an enchant that isn’t Hard or Strong, then adjust your build around it if you want maximum effectiveness if you don’t want to get a new item to enchant.

“it would but wouldn’t it make it more fun and less tedious overall?
That way if you want to use certain enchantments you can?
Since the eventual goal is to have every enchantment be as balanced as possible, wouldn’t it be best to make it reasonably easier for players to make their builds?
Instead of locking it behind a potentially several hundred hour grind.”
Quote by “Meta”
“If you want to go the extra mile to get a build you want, trading will always exist, and I’m sure that someone out there would have the equipment you are looking for at least at their current rarity. Plus, people macro for sunken items so it can’t be that hard, right?”

“Yes but having to go through the painful step that is trading just to get the build you want is a bit absurd when re enchanting could just be added that way players don’t have to rely on it.
Not that there wouldn’t be players that would look for gear with certain enchantments since even with re enchanting you’d still have to spend at least 6k crowns [ statistically anyhow ]+ grind for the gear.
[ not those figures are for rare gear ]
Re enchanting would just give players more choice and make the experience a bit less tedious for everyone.”
“this isn’t completely relevant but if giving hardcore players something to do in between updates is the motive, then why not just add a leaderboard system?
That way they have something to do and the rest of the playerbase can just enjoy the game.”
Quote by “Uncoool”
“Okay but do you WANT to get multiple sunken swords? That doesn’t really sound fun. It’s already enough work to pay for the enchant. Paying 1.2k per re-enchant is perfectly reasonable for an item like that.
The best gear in the game once the game is completed are probably going to be WAY rarer anyway. Good luck getting multiple of those for a chance at getting the right enchant dude”
"That argument won’t hold up forever though…
At some point in the future having rare+ gear with particular enchantments will be the meta.
It’s just fortunately more of a collectors thing currently.

And comparing it to the fishing journal is a bit of a stretch to be blunt.
The fishing journal is purely a matter of pride, while enchanting gives stats that have an actual effect on gameplay, particularly pvp."
"As much as i understand the importance of the economy, why are you so fixated on it?
Yes re enchanting would make rare items cost less & on the same token more rare items will be traded around since a "bad enchantment " would be reversible so it’d still be a worthwhile trade.
And finally the big part of it! Getting the enchantment that you want on your gear would take hours not dozens of hours, which would likely make alot more players bother with min maxing since it’d actually be feasible without spending an entire week doing so.
[ though if rng hates you it could still take ages & you’d be better off trading for what you want ]

To sum it up overall more players will be less frustrated with the current end game grind and enjoy the game just a tad bit more.
Which should be the main focus in my humble opinion."
Quote by “ThatOnePerson”
"I agree, the barebones “economy” of this game is:

1. Crowns have literally no value, and anything non-optimal has no value
  2. Normal meta stuff (amulets, iron armor, wizard armor) with good enchants is basically all equal value
  3. Sunken armor is only worth other sunken armor
  4. Sunken sword is only worth other sunken swords

Which is basically not an economy. There is nothing in-place currently to “ruin” with something like this."
Quote by “Uncoool”
“It’s grindy enough to get even one of those things, and it costs 1.2k to NORMALLY enchant it. Besides, in the future there’s going to be much better, rarer, and way more expensive to enchant items that’ll still be challenging to re-enchant. Instead of slaving for like a week just to get another of the same item just for a chance that’s it’s something you would want to use, it would be way more fun if we could just grind the large amount of money you need to enchant/re-enchant because money can be awarded from many different sources, including quests, which will have many different tasks for you to do. Keep in mind that the Sunken set is just the FIRST line of rare items.”
“Personally I just don’t think that there is a reason for a 20%ish stat boost to be locked behind a hundred or so hour grind.
And re enchanting would reduce the grind to a somewhat acceptable 5-10hours [ per rare piece of gear ]which would make min maxing [ which is the current endgame ] a hell of a lot less tedious and do able.
To sum it up, it’d make the end game worth people’s time instead of a pointless 100+ hour grind that adds nothing which certainly isn’t worthwhile.
Which i just can’t support since grinds like that can ruin a game for alot of people, myself included.

I could understand the current difficulty to get the enchantments that you want if it were say a 100% stat buff instead of the currently decent but not completely game changing 20% stat buff.
But it’s not and as such the enchanting system feels like it was made to waste your time, not for the sake of balance.
Which is not something that many people like doing."

Why Did I Make This Suggestion?

I could’ve wrote a large essay on what exactly made me go to such lengths, but for the sake of time, i’ve decided to simplify it.

My Motivation - Personally I just don’t think that there is a reason for a 20%ish stat boost to be locked behind a hundred or so hour grind.
And re enchanting would reduce the grind to a somewhat acceptable 5-10hours [ per rare piece of gear ]which would make min maxing [ which is the current endgame ] a hell of a lot less tedious and do able.
To sum it up, it’d make the end game worth people’s time instead of a pointless 100+ hour grind that adds nothing which certainly isn’t worthwhile.
Which i just can’t support since grinds like that can ruin a game for alot of people, myself included.

Why I Made This Even When Vetex Said That It Ain’t Happening - Now i may actually lose a couple people here so sorry if you can’t understand this perspective.
That famous quote of Vetex’s was made on a low effort post that might aswell have been a shit post and most posts around re enchanting don’t offer much and tend to spark up alot of non constructive arguing.
So considering those facts I can see exactly why Vetex wants nothing to do with it, I wouldn’t either.
But this post isn’t any of those and actually brings something worthwhile to the table instead of being a waste of time and as such is something that Vetex may actually consider if it gets a fair amount of votes.
It may not be that way since i’m not Vetex but that’s my perspective on the matter.

Disclaimer About Enchantment Scrolls

Since enchanting scrolls were added to adjustments recently i’d like to say that even with them, that re enchanting would be a good feature especially for everything that isn’t in the legendary tier.
Because even with re enchanting [which would pretty much just be a way to re roll enchantments] those scrolls would be incredibly useful as they will always give you a certain enchantment instead of having to rely on rng [ for free to i believe, which means geting certain enchantments on legendary items won’t cost well over 20k crowns ]

So to sum it up. While I believe that having them will be great either way, I don’t believe that they’ll change much because they are going to in the exotic tier and as such will be pretty rare.
So considering their rarity they most likely won’t ever be used for anything except for legendary gear.
Which means that enchanting will still suck for everything else.

• If enchantment scrolls end up having a drop rate of around 1/250-1/500 in chests & can over ride previous enchantments i’ll gladly support them as an acceptable substitute for re enchanting, but as that doesn’t appear to be the case i just can’t say that they’ll fix the issue like re enchanting would.

• Or if they end up having a drop rate of 1/1500 [ around 10 hours of chest grinding ], override previous enchantments & let you choose any enchantment that you want.

What I’m Actually Suggesting
It’s mainly #1 but #2,#3&#4 are also things i’d like to see.

1. Re Enchanting - Seriously enchanting is already highly expensive just allow players to re enchant their items until they get what they want for the sake of the glorious thing called “Quality Of LIfe”.
    I’m fine with spending 10k+ crowns trying to get certain enchantments on my stuff but getting the same item several times over and spending that much just ruins enchanting for me.
    Also if necessary for balance re enchanting an item could be made so that it costs 10% more crowns each time you re enchant that item until you hit the current crown cap
    Another balancing measure that could be taken is adding a 1-24 hour cooldown period before you can re enchant again
    -Pls note that with enchanting scrolls now being a planned feature, the two balances that I proposed are a must for them to still be highly useful.

2. Re balance certain enchantments such as the strong & hard enchantment so that they aren’t as op as they currently are, but as that has already been covered in depth by people who know more than me i’ll just leave it at that.

3. Alchemist’s Specialty - All Alchemists/wandering alchemists have a chance to spawn with a specialty enchantment. Which means that they have a higher chance of getting you a particular enchantment.
    An example of what i mean would be an alchemist that specializes in bursting and would give you a bursting enchantment 50% of the time.
    Though this feature would make alchemists with certain specialty’s useless to most so perhaps them giving you a higher chance of getting their specialty enchantment would be an optional feature?
    For the sake of balance choosing to try to get their specialty could be 25% more expensive?

4. This isn’t completely relevant to the post but i figured i should add it anyways.
    As re enchanting is something that manages to find it’s way back into the spot light every now and then despite being a feature that vetex has said that he won’t ever add.
    Why don’t we just have an official poll on it be done on the forums to settle this dispute once and for all?
    Here are a couple suggestions on how I think it could be done

• Trust lvl 1+ can vote [ maybe trust lvl 2+ if bots are a concern ]
  • Be pinned somewhere so that everyone can know about it.
  • Make sure to have links to good arguments on both sides.
  • Last 30 days that way it doesn’t go unnoticed.
  • Advertise it in the discord? [ could serve as a way to get more people to use the forums? ]

[ i’d say to just do it on the discord but… well we all unfortunately know how WOM’s discord is ]

Also i believe we should do more stuff like that anyways because it would be fun to have the community participate in official polls every once in awhile.
LIke best art of the month ect.

Admittedly #3 was mainly just to add something original to this post so that i wasn’t just recycling ideas but regardless i personally would like that to be a feature because it would add an additional layer of depth to alchemists.

Well that sums up my official suggestion on the matter, thank you for reading this and have a good day/night.

I Try Not To Be Cheap But.......

Gimme Yer Vote Ya Lurker! Pls

Also i know that alot of people reading this may not vote for it because of the fact that even if this gets alot of votes it likely won’t change vetex’s mind.

So if you want to know why i bothered and why you should bother giving this a vote pls read the section that i made about that.

A Note To Vetex

While i understand and respect that WOM is your game i do however believe in the importance of listening to your community.
Which is something that you don’t seem to intend to, on the matter of adding re enchanting anyhow.
And as re enchanting is likely going to be a highly requested feature as enchanting gets more and more tedious later on, would you at least consider #4 and do an official poll about it so that we can stop feeling the need to bring it up?
Just flat out saying that it won’t happen without a logical reason as to why won’t make the matter go away, all it’ll do is make your community feel like you don’t care.

Personally though i just can’t see why you wouldn’t add it since it’s not like it’d change much of significance in a negative manner.
All it’d do is make enchanting something that most players would actually bother with instead of treating it like the unholy rng demon that it currently is.
It should also only take maybe a day at most to implement so development shouldn’t be an issue.

Anyhow if by some miracle you ever get to read this Vetex pls listen to your community and remember to not push yourself.
Keep being an overall awesome developer :heart:

Or you can just read this post to get an idea of what i’m talking about.

Also since alot of people of the forums [ I do aswell ] tend to prefer to stay away from the reply section, here’s a couple of polls as an alternative.
[ Note that none of the polls show who voted ]
[ Also if you haven’t fully read the post pls don’t vote until you have ]

Did the post help convince you that re enchanting would be a decent feature?

• Yes
  • No

0 voters

How well written do you think the post was?

0 voters

How well did the post present the argument?

0 voters

What do you think the odds are that the post could convince vetex to at least host an official poll on the matter?

0 voters

And that’s it for the polls, feel free to leave a reply and have a good day/night.

Side Goal

If this post gets over a hundred votes on the poll about whether or not re enchanting would be a good feature.
I’ll ask a mod to ask vetex to look at it as it should be a decent enough of a sample size to show what the community feels about it.
[ even if it ends up being against the feature ]
To help keep votes coming in i’ll put something in the reply section every day or two so that it can find it’s way into recent.

1 Like

Huzzah! :confetti_ball:
A post about re enchanting that got a decent amount of support and managed to, for the most part stay civil!
“Breaks into tears” The WOM forums community is finally maturing a bit.
And at last i’m not considered insane for believing that a 20% stat boost shouldn’t take over 24 hours of flat out grinding to get on just a single item.

I’ll likely use the first reply later on to add additional stuff so for now this is a place holder.
Also i’m aware that the post hasn’t automatically closed yet, but it will soon so i figured i might as well publish this post now.

Hey uh, could you replace the link to my post with a couple/few good quotes from it, it’s kind of a mess and I don’t think people want to read the whole argument.
Preferably something that considers the future and something considering the economy

you know, you have a point lemme go do that…

After a little over 30 mins i am now done adding quotes.
Most were from me but i tried to find good arguments for & against re enchanting from other sources, though i could only find decent ones from meta.
[ though i am a bit biased ]