Firestorm(Part 8)

Guess who’s back. Not to be confused with Firestorm Part 1 Ep 1, but I still want to use the title. I’ll turn from 1st person narration to the 1st person I used in the Aaron Fallenfire series.

Kenton really missed his old gear. He came up to me after a dive and told me about how he had to leave it behind when he deserted the Grand Navy. So, after we opened the chests at Sailor’s Lodge, I decided to set sail to Silverhold.

A ways from SIlverhold, we saw a plume of smoke. It looked like a meteor had smashed right into the fortress. But at a closer look, we saw what really happened. “There’s been a battle 'ere, cap’n!” said the lookout. There were oil spills, masts under the water, torn sails floating, and driftwood everywhere. There were a few marines guarding the main entrance, and they let us through. I thought we were off the hook, but a vice captain tending to his wounds suddenly said “I’ve seen yer before, isn’t it Edward Kenton? wait, the deserter! men, arrest them!”. There goes subtlety. I pulled out my rapier and imbued it with winds, Edward got his cutlass out and we stood back to back. And so the fight begun.

I immediately lunged at a marine, throwing him up into the air while Kenton slashed at another. I caught the flying marine with my blade, spinning and throwing him into an incoming group. Kenton rushed forward and dealt with the knocked down marines, and I switched to my flintlocks, jumped up into the air, and fired a burst at the marines defending the vice captain. As the vice captain realized his fate, I used the flat of my blade to knock him out.

We searched around for the storage room with Kenton’s memory of the layout, meeting no resistance along the way. When we came upon the room, they were moving out all the cargo. They were easy victories, but inside the storage room there was nothing but spices, fish, and old swords. We looked down the hall outside and noticed a breach in the wall, and outside there was a ship where the crates were being loaded into. As we ran towards the breach, two marines were sent out to stop us, taking a knee to aim their muskets. I cut one of their shots in half, and Edward blocked one with his blade. I told him to call for the Aura of Boreas while I tried to board the ship. I cut down both marines before they managed to pull out their swords. I rushed out of the breach, preparing to cast a leap spell as the ship unfurled her sails. More marines on board prepared to fire at me, I dodged the first shot by high jumping, the second was dodged by my leap spell, and as I lunged for the ship with my rapier, I split another shot in half. I thought I had it, but fell a few meters short. I saw the ship picking up wind, and then a shadow fell over me. My own ship was there, and I went on board.

As we went after the ship, firing chasers at them, we saw a wave forming starboard. We braced for it to hit, we took the brunt of the wave, while the Navy’s ship only took a little. That slowed us down a bit, but we pushed on. Unfortunately, a storm awaited us. The skies turned gray, thunder crackling. One bolt landed a few meters in front, spraying water at us and shaking the ship. Soon, we could barely see in front of us, and we lost the Navy’s ship.

After docking at Thorin’s Refuge, Edward Kenton started thinking of the places where the ship may have gone. I convinced him it wasn’t such a big deal. He went back to the ship while I sent out some crew to restock on supplies at Palo Town. In the meantime, we decided to rest. After a few hours of sleep, the crew came back. They told of the Grand Navy ship we lost setting up and execution platform for Assassin’s Syndicate members who were captured in the Silverhold attack. Along with them, Kenton’s gear must also be there. So the new plan was clear, stop the execution and retrieve the gear.

We used a rowboat to go to Palo Town to maintain a low profile, while our main ship stayed back for support. We saw the criminals who were already executed being taken away. We were sizing up the situation as the second to last assassin was executed. We decided the perfect time to strike would be at the last second. As the last man was about to be executed, Edward and I unsheathed our blades and attacked. I lunged for one of the guards, throwing him into the platform’s support. The man about to be executed casted a magma explosion, melting the platform and throwing his executors off. He joined the fight, making short work of the marines with flaming fists. The Grand Navy retreated to their ship, leaving their unloaded cargo behind.

The man introduced himself as Aaron Fallenfire. He was a leader of the attack on Silverhold, along with Architect Merlot. He was defeated by Commodore Kai and sentenced to execution. Kenton found his gear among all the crates, and we took Aaron to our ship.

He told of his story, and how he wanted revenge against the Grand Navy and Ravenna. We decided to let him join the crew. He had yet to achieve his awakening, so he set out to do so. He dived into the ocean, looking for a geyser underwater. After a few hours, he came back up and showed off his new skills.

Now, we had a better chance in our journey. The Nimbus Sea may prove dangerous, even for us. But with Aaron Fallenfire, there’s a chance we could actually find the curses. Still, there may be some things to wrap up in the Bronze Sea. Fort Castrum, a remaining stronghold of Ravenna. Silverhold, although mostly destroyed, still stands. There is still much to come, and much unknown, but we will withstand it.

1 Like

At last! We have a satisfying convergence for both stories between Aaron and Artemis. Wind conjuror sounds like a fun build to use.

Personally I still like the retelling by Artemis Anchor about the events since it offers a unique view on Artemis Morgan’s adventure, but the first person story gives a lot more detail on what happens.