Gigantocypris: The true mistake of nature

This thing is an actual animal.
Gigantocypris is a genus of funny microscopic crustaceans called ostracods. Gigantocypris can get about 1.3 inches across max, the largest of any ostracod and not really microscopic at that point. The actual parts that are most visible and the thing that makes it look like an orange pool ball is actually a thin shell. They swim around with their antennae which kinda look like cat whiskers. They have a pair of parabolic mirrors as eyes which are (presumably) the best at capturing light in the entire animal kingdom. Ostracods as a whole are known for their remarkable reproductive systems.

Ok ok
What I REALLY want to talk about is the fact that the aforementioned eyes exist in a place where no sunlight reaches. The only reason they even have eyes is to spot bioluminescent PREY. These wobbling ping pong balls are predators somehow.
What’s it supposed to do when it spots prey? Spin in an erratic spiral and hope it catches up? Even if the prey it eats is very tiny, you would think that it would be too slow to even do anything. Not even the science people have a clear idea on how this thing can catch enough food to live.

overall i love these silly marbles and their ugly faces

TL;DR BAHAHAHAHA LOOK AT THIS STUPID ANIMAL IT LOOKS LIKE A GRAPE

9 Likes

Bro said :orange_circle:

1 Like

Who was the guy that spammed orange dogs weeks/months ago
I just had the thought

Evolution. The Ultimate C student. Just gotta be good enough to continue existing and reproducing.

that’s just a cruel act of god if I’m being honest

There’s a frog so small it can’t balance when jumping so it just spins in the air, and because its inner ear is so small, it can’t even hear its mating call.

Wasn’t the tiny inner ear also the reason it can’t jump right

yes