Hover Spell...And Why The (D)uck Does it Exist

Fair enough.

You do make a good point and it will slow down combat. It brings as many pros as it does cons.

I guess we’ll just have to wait and see.

Slashing midair is still not the desired method of combat, it’s only to alleviate the weakness. Air slashes don’t counter aerial mobility, it’s just so that weapons are able to still put up a fight midair.

If you played TU or seen any of the videos regarding this then I have a feeling you’d instantly take back everything you said. You have yet to endure the trauma.

Even assuming that everything was fine and dandy you can still wall-jump in any fight that a wall is accessible, effectively increasing your height by another T-Jump and then use Sunken Armor so that your magic jumps are higher.

As of now the max hover duration is like 33-40 seconds at max level, and average, organized fights judging off of analyzing many clips will last between 40 seconds and 1 minute (despite people saying that they go on for like 5 minutes or whatever). It will go faster while casting spells but that’s still a pretty long time.

Hover duration could easily get changed but honestly it feels like there may be some inherent problems with the way the game is set up that make hover questionable. I would hope there would be a way to fine-tune it so that it isn’t either “I am literally Superman” or “I can literally stay in the air equally as effectively by slashing my sword,” but this seems like it’s something more easily said than done.

All I’m saying is it could easily go wrong. I’d love hover to stay but the inherent existence of in a game like AO can easily make it either too strong or absolutely worthless, or make other stuff worthless.

^

I’m not explicitly anti-hover cuz I love the way it works but there is some concern I have. If it could be replaced by something equally as fun however, I’d easily take that instead, but the options are limited.

4 Likes

Alr that’s too long.

I wasn’t aware of this and i’ve only seen clips of hover in action (i’ve seen polar use it when wom was at it’s earliest phase but I don’t remember it being that long).

Yeah ik. It’s inefficient and uses stamina. But I brought it up anyway to show that hover can be somewhat countered without magic.

I guess I can’t argue with that one. That is one of the main uses of hover in the first place which shoots down the hazard based magics…

Though once I land I have to charge for 5 seconds and i’m vulnerable unless I use melee.

Overall I can see and understand the issues hover may bring, but I still don’t really want it removed. If it does get replaced with a better system (if that’s even possible) I won’t protest.

1 Like

That can be used as a dodge

Glass panes spawn above the blast for some reason so it’ll still damage (glass is still garbage in AO tho)

Ash and Poison are crab-raving.

Actually I’m wrong here, I took the supposed scaling for mode spells not hover, BUT hover and mode both start off at around 5% per second so the scaling is probably similar, if not then the exact same.

Or at least it’s what it says here for mode spells, I don’t 100% know what the numbers mean but after analyzing Authors and Polar clips I assume this is the percentage drain per tick (with 10 ticks per second), and I assume numbers like 0.0002 are actually 0.002 otherwise that magic energy is draining at a stupid slow rate.

Yeah but Mud and puddle-based magics are out of luck here as well as any other future magics that have a similar feature, or Fire/Plasma when the floor is wood.

D-do you know what corny means?

yes ik what corny means, and hover spell sounds corny as hell

Hover Spell…And Why The (D)uck Does it Exist

So anyways past me, your wish was granted, hover is basically no more! I still wonder the true point of it, but sad we can no longer pseudo-fly.

Hover is becoming a lost spell, though.

hover is gonna be uncommon not gone :fr:

if hover was common pvp would just be who can spam the most amount of musket shots

The biggest countermeasures against hover were any mobility AoEs like Flash Strike so those would be the meta (more so than they already are) if hover were still common.

Hover is only really used to close distance with pillar cheese or aircamp, it doesn’t really give you any bonus openings to musket punish.

the fuck

didn’t notice it was a necrobump

What did it say?

y delete it tho? it still stays there

to avoid people continuing the conversation but it happened anyway so

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.