How to be the best runner you can be

Good day everyone, it is I, the esteemed runner YeahIKnowHowToDrive. When I hunt people (shocking, I know) I am truly appalled by how bad many arcane odyssey players are at running. This anger and pity has forced me to make the AO playerbase better, by teaching them HOW TO RUN

My credentials:

• I got into Elysium because I ran away from an explosion warlock for 10 minutes before I stood still and let him kill me (I lost all my duels btw)
  • I am a Joseph main on TB2 (a character infamous for running
  • I have no father

Requirements
As many speed deckhands as possible
A swift hemp sailcloth and swift reinforced wooden hull
A plethora of water breathing potions
If using a caravel, a light ram

How to run
When running, the most important part is movement skills. These include airstep/magic jump, mirrored river grabs and high jump. You need to be incredibly good at chaining these moves without falling. This is important for the best running strategy.

Strategies
Tall areas

The easiest way to run is to constantly get very high up, and jump to another high up areas. Try to high jump, then a grab, a dash skill and finally use jumps to land on the terrain. This combo will ALWAYS get you on to the perimeter walls of rubica or the big earth pillars of munera, where you can then repeat this to jump onto another piece of terrain. When you haven’t been hit for 60 seconds, LEAVE THE GAME.

Swimming
So, you aren’t near any tall areas, no worries. You simply need to become a triathlete. Pop a water potion, dash to the water, jump in and then use movement skills to get to the bottom of the ocean ASAP. Make sure to swim in a zig zag pattern, so they can’t hit you with projectiles. When you haven’t been hit for 60 seconds, LEAVE THE GAME. This strategy is harder, as you’re always in range of their projectiles instead of having the terrain to block for you. Make sure to hit the bottom before running out of stamina, or they’ll be able to hit you while you fall.

Sailing away
This is the hardest strategy to pull off. Your boat needs to be facing AWAY from the island. Turn the sails up just before you board and get your ass outta there. The issue with this strategy is that it’s very difficult to pull it off, as they can usually just board your boat and M1 you to death. Make sure you don’t get hit by cannonballs either, as you’ll be put back into combat.
There’s a juke you can do with boats too. Instead of boarding, you set sail and then swim into the water. They board your boat, and get seriously behind as you swim to safety.

Hiding
I usually never resort to this, and it’ll be impossible next update. There are several good places to hide, but you have to lose your target or they’ll get you. The inside of houses, under palo towns waterfall, and in caves are all pretty good places to hide.

Tips:

• Contrary to popular belief, agility is NOT NEEDED. I don’t use a single piece of agility gear, so I can actually fight if need be. It’s a good help, but you don’t need it.
  • the best classes for running are conjurer and berserker, as they are the only classes with jumps, grabs that move the user and dash skills
  • all grabs share cool-downs, as well as weapon dash skills. Don’t try to chain them
  • You can see significant progress by removing any father figures from your life.
  • you lose health when you dash or high jump without stamina, so always keep an eye on it or eat invigorating food.

The running meta is gonna be seriously changed with the upcoming potions update, but until then, this has been my guide on running. Feel free to ask question.

11 Likes

Thank you kind sir :pray: I will now be the greatest coward in AO history

1 Like

What do you do if they attack your boat

block+parry+dodge

Like as in you left your boat at the dock and someone starts hitting it, or you spawned it and they attack it, in the latter scenario you set sail and lose them if you can, if they board then jump off into the water and escape. In the first scenario if you are trying to run, just switch servers as they attack the boat, your boat being hit doesn’t put you in combat

just jump off and swim into the ocean, or dont get into a position where they can shoot u

another skill obtained, to the adventures of Sebastian the Mage

noice :+1:

mage is actually crap at running, cuz u dont have as many movement movement options.

i noticed, unfortunately…
Well, I got nimble Elius to help me at least

Alternatively, put 200 points into agility and watch as you outrun death itself.

The Runner of the Seas

agility is very useful in pvp for any build

I’ve never seen any builds with agility, except for those that use calvus armour but that’d probably be used regardless

every one of my builds use agil

yeah but you’re not going out of your way to use agility gear. it’s just that calvus (best power armour in the game) gives agility

i am
i enchant my gear with nimble

ok that’s just goofy, pretty sure ur in a very small minority though

triple substat ftw

Swiftcaps give the agility effect as well

Light imbue thermo fist with speed mode should be the longest dash in game, As well attack speed increases it.

2 Likes