If I was a game developer and making the rules, should I allow players to scam-extort rule breakers of ingame items?

Extort (as in this context) meaning that players threaten rule breakers for them to give their items to the player in order for them to not get reported/banned. Take note this includes/implies that the player will report/ban the rule breaker either way.

Note: the game’s items are NOT BUYABLE WITH ROBUX (not like adopt me/royale high/mm2). they are something like AO or Deepwoken valuable items.

• Yes
  • No
  • Yes (Limited V1)
  • Yes (Limited V2)
  • Yes (Limited V3)
  • Yes (Limited V4)

0 voters

Limited V1

People will only be allowed to extort rule breakers for items if the rule breaker did something that DOES NOT GIVE INGAME ADVANTAGES (example: slur bypass).

Rule-breaking actions that give ingame advantages:

• Exploiting
  • Cross Trading*

Note: In my games, cross trading will only be bannable if the player receives something in my game. If they give some item from my game for an item in another game, I won’t consider them a rule breaker because they didn’t benefit ingame.

Rule-breaking actions that don’t give ingame advantages:

• Probably everything else (but not limited to:)
  • Filter Bypassing
  • Harassment
Limited V2

People are only allowed to extort a limited number of items.

Limited V3

People are only allowed to extort for some items if the rule breaker is an exploiter or cross trader. They can freely extort any other rule breaker.

Limited V4

People are only allowed to extort some items in all cases.

I thought of this post after wanting to scam-extort items from a hacker, but didn’t know if it was allowed or not. (this was in AO)

if those rule breakers exploited or abused bugs to dupe or spawn items then by allowing this youll be putting those items back into your games economy

i guess im gonna go with limited v1

A slight adjustment to v1 would be better. Harassment and filter bypassing can only victimize the people that are able to report it, so what would make the most sense is allowing them to say they won’t report it for a certain amount of items, and then actually not report it, instead of requiring them to scam, but it would be even better just to not care about filter bypassing and not allow any kind of extortion for not reporting harassment. If any individual really is being harassed, then getting rid of the harassment probably is enough reason for them to report

Allowing players to steal the inventories of players who exploit or bug abuse is a horrible idea on all fronts.

To start letting players keep items from dupers/exploiters removes the entire point of banning the problem players in the first place(i.e I steal 1000 legendary items from a duper and sell them for dirt cheap which ruins the game’s economy). In addition, This system is really easy to abuse if you exploit. For example I make an alt and dupe another 1000 legendary items, I “randomly encounter” the alt, I “scam” the duping alt and report them, I make away with 1000 free legendary items and sell them while my alt gets banned.

V1 has its own problems

If a player can extort items for a simple rule break that breeds toxic communities, this also raises the fact of false positives. If a player falsely thinks another player broke a rule then scams them out of rare gear what should the player who unfairly lost all their gear do? Players also have an incentive to falsely accuse players to acquire rare items.

TLDR: letting players do this is a insanely shitty idea which will ruin your game

1 Like

I remember this became enough of a problem in deepwoken that it got a bunch of their mods removed for it.

Shocking news: Extortion is a bad thing with exceptions.

1 Like

i might change V1 to repeated harassment or bypass (example: clan names)

true, but bypasses…

Don’t add it in any capacity or form, It matter of fact will ruin your game

Roblox players when they learn extortion is bad and illegal in every form

toxicity or falsebans?

(theres no real money involved in this extortion lol)

also in my game, you cant get hardbanned for harassment/bypass/toxicity, only softbanned (chat ban)

Yes that is still a crime

i mean can you ask in a roblox video game “hey give my ur items or else i (legitimately) report u for breaking rules” or some shit like that

That is in fact still a crime

I’m not saying anything will happen because nothing will, just like how online piracy is a crime but a roblox developer actively allowing a crime on their platform is in fact not allowed

1 Like

Under what law?