King Calvus Tips

King Calvus is when the game goes from “kinda tough” to “really hard”(for me, at least). He’s gonna be the TRUE skill check for a lot of players instead of Elias, so, I wanna make a brief, somewhat flawed guide on how to fight him from the hour+ I spent trying(and failing, but eventually succeeding) to kill him. Hopefully, you can get something out of this.

This advice will not be build-dependent, and will therefore be extremely general. If you know how to use your build, you’ll understand what to do. A lot of this advice is for his first phase; second phase is slightly different, with the attack speeds/timing & whatnot being slightly changed, however the general tactics could still be applied.

Also, I probably missed one or more of his attacks. If anybody wants to add to this(ie. phase 2 info), or I remember, you’ll probably see more info in the replies of this post.

So, King Calvus has quite a few attacks. I’m not going to give them specific names, just what to do in response to them.

• Charged blast attack / charged triple blast attack

Generally, what you’ll want to do for this is hard target him, doing as much damage as you can in about 3 or 4 seconds. Then, either focus on dodging his projectile(s), or try to block/parry them for minimal damage. This attack seems intimidating, but can be very easily punished if you take advantage of it.

• Charged triple pillars of DOOM

This attack has Calvus charging a big explosion pillar attack, that, if fully charged for ~8 to 12 seconds, does INSANE damage. However, if you do a bit of damage to him while he’s charging it, it’ll do much less. The main advice I can give for you here is to do a quick, one-hitter that has low commital, because right after you damage him, he’ll drop the pillars down on you. It’s really tough to dodge them, but you can block them pretty easily if you get the timing down.

• Tiny 5 or 7 shot pepper shots

This attack is really annoying as it can basically activate whenever; I’ve found myself getting hit by it quite a few times whenever he’s charging up another attack, which’ll screw up my timing and cause me to take a lot of damage. I don’t know exactly when he does it, but he’ll put a few small light orbs around his head that’ll sit there for a while. Just remain on your guard, if you’re paying attention and he’s not attacking you, they probably won’t do much. If you are being attacked by something else while these go off, basically just ignore them, as you most likely won’t die to them and will be better off avoiding or blocking the big attacks.

• Slam Jam, Thank You Ma’am

An interesting attack he does sometimes is just slamming into the ground after doing a jump. What I’ve found is to just generally keep your distance when not punishing the vulnerabilities of his attacks.

• Trident Stab → Launch Combo

Calvus’ll stab you with his trident, and launch you in the air. If you get hit by this, you can’t really dodge it, so the best thing you can do is try to parry it. If you block or parry the trident stab, you’ll still have to deal with the launch, though you can also block or parry that. Basically, carry a shield on you.

There’s also a trident throwing move that I’ve seen him do. That could be this, or something else. Either way, make sure to keep moving and keep your distance when not punishing his attacks.

• Light Beam

This attack is more of a nuisance than an actual threat, as it’ll do a fairly minimal amount of damage. Just stay on the move so you’ll avoid getting hit by it.

• Melee Shenanigans

Calvus does have raw weapon/melee options that he can whip out at close range, so be sure to be on your guard and try to avoid his attacks if you’re not confident enough in living whatever he could throw at you(which sould basically be always, as his attacks hurt a lot). If he uses one of those more punishable moves while close, though, feel free to go ham on him with any close-range options of your choosing, if you have any.

Again, I’m definitely missing something, and certain aspects of his attacks change for phase 2, the main being his blast attacks move faster, and he can also do a really insane flurry barrage one. Another general tip is that, if you’re not good at dodging or blocking, you can always hide behind the pillars or even Calvus’ throne to tank the ranged attacks for you. Just be sure to keep your guard up.

That’s all I got. This boss was fun, but a real pain in the neck. Hopefully this’ll help you out, even if only a little bit. Again, I probably missed something, or am misremembering/interpreting something from the fight. General advice is to just keep moving and keep your distance, to block or try for a parry if your sense of timing is good enough, and to punish his attacks with the best of your ability while making sure to not put yourself into too much risk.

11 Likes

Even with my Parry, Dodge, and Block, I still managed to die when I killed him with my ash cloud

But that adrenaline doe

1 Like

1 Like

Closest place to put your camp marker for a proper rematch against him, ( I didn’t beat him solo and it feels like I definitely should ) would be nice to know.

Well, I’ve been at it, folks! I’m sure a lot of you might not need this guide any more, because it’s been a while now, but I’ve been farming him quite a bit and gotten really consistent at killing him. To answer the question asked between this post and the first one, you shouldn’t need to worry about a camp spot as you’d probably spawn at Ravenna, or right outside his arena, unless you’re going for him early, if that’s even possible, which I’m pretty sure it’s not.

Anyways, an updated guide!

• Charged blast attack / charged triple blast attack

Easily his most punishable attack. You get a solid few seconds to punish him while he’s charging up, and blocking/dodging it is extremely easy. Great for phase 2 cheese(I’ll get into that later!), but requires precise timing.

• Charged triple pillars of DOOM

Calvus does more damage depending on how long he’s been charging, so it’s best to hit him fast as he starts it. Blocking it is pretty easy, but so is dodging, if you hit him and immediately use a burst movement option or repeatedly dodge in one direction.

• Tiny 5 pepper shots

I still don’t know exactly how this works, but it’s really just a nuisance more than anything. Dodge/block em’, focus on whatever else he’s doing if he’s doing something else.

• Slam Jam, Thank You Ma’am

He actually has both a slam-jump kinda deal, and just a normal slam for pushback he uses sometimes. Strategy remains the same.

• Trident Stab → Launch Combo

This has remained the same. His trident stab does have some real magnetism to it if it’s determined he hit you, so be wary of that. Parry his launch 'cuz it does 300 damage and has predictable timing.

• Trident Throw

I haven’t been hit by this once, so it’s not really good. Just keep moving, I guess.

• Light Beam

Again, just an annoyance. If he catches you offguard with it, its damage is minimal. Just tank it.

• Melee Shenanigans

He doesn’t do this that often, usually just jumps away or does an attack after doing a slam or something of the sort.

Now, onto new stuff: Phase 2!

• Charged blast attack / charged quintouple blast attack

Second verse, same as the first. Punish the hell out of him and block, parry or dodge the attack. It’s a bit quicker and harder to read, but you’ll get really used to it after a while.

• Charged triple pillars of DOOM ft. wind blow

This attack proves that longer attacks aren’t always a good idea. You do the same strategy as before, but because the wind knockback thing he does after the triple pillars is very long, you have plenty of time to punish him afterwards.

• 7 Tridents

Similar to the pepper shots, but they deal more damage and there are more of them.

• Barrage, aka. “The Shield Breaker”

This one’s really tough to deal with if you don’t know what to do. He fires like, 20+ shots, dealing ~39 damage each. If you walk to the side he literally won’t hit you, though, so uh, just do that. If you parry/block it all with a shield, it’ll break. The damage on this attack is insane.

Other moves he has in Phase 2 are basically the exact same, which is why I won’t mention them. I mentioned the tridents because they’re aesthetically different, and the tactic is slightly different for dealing with them.

Now, how do you cheese his phase 2? Well, as far as I can tell, Calvus’ 2nd phase is triggered whenever he’s below 2250 HP. So, how do you abuse this?

Get him to JUST above that threshold, then wait for him to do a really punishable attack, like the charged shot. Immediately whale on him. If you have a good sustain damage, you’ll do upwards of 300+ damage easily, getting a good chunk into his phase.

During his transformation, there’s a brief period when he’s vulnerable. Timing this can be extremely rewarding with a fully charged single-hit attack, which can chip off another significant portion of damage. This way, you can get into a good portion of his 2nd phase before it even begins. This might be changed or patched in some way, but for the time being, use it.

If you parry all of Calvus’ attacks, which, for the most part, have a fairly predictable pattern, you wil take bascially no damage. Shocking, I know, but especially for Calvus, it’s important as he’s a heavy hitter. I can finish the fight with ~80% HP remaining on a good run, so I know you’ll be able to if you analyze his attacks and capitalize on their weaknesses.

I’m considering doing guides for other bosses, like Commadore Kai, General Argos, Lord Elias, and some more. I dunno if you’d wanna see that, but it’d probably help. I might do em’ anyways if I’m bored.

Okay, so for a bit of an attendum. I said “a good portion” but I’ve literally been able to get him to 1000 health before he even began the evil villanous monologue for his second phase because of my sustain damage. Calvus is honestly one of the easier bosses once you get into his rhythm, because the arena is (kind of, minus the breakable floor) neutral and there aren’t any exterior distractions, unlike a boss such as Commadore Kai. Again, I’ll probably be making a guide on him because I found him to be fairly frustrating to fight against and I believe people’d want to learn how to fight him efficiently considering the quality of his drop.

1 Like

2225*

To add on:
Upon missing his grab (Trident Stab + Launch Combo), Calvus slams the ground for ~100 damage. In his phase 2, he does a Tempest (Greatsword Q move that deletes projectiles) if he misses which you can punish with placed explosions/any aoes.

Both the blast attack and self explode share the same animation, but self explode can only be triggered if you were near Calvus during his charge up (or at the beginning, ~100 Calvus kills and he never self-exploded when I was never close to him during his chargeup)

You can easily dodge the Pillars if u have enough agility, just dash as soon as ur attack lands or t jump

Calvus has a barrage in both phases. They both follow the same pattern.
Slam → Trident throw(50 dmg) or beam (68 dmg + charred) → Barrage(75x4dmg or 38x a lot dmg) → Slam towards you(100 dmg) → Slam again(~100 dmg)
Dodging the 2nd slam is pretty weird at times since he might track you so I suggest dashing and blocking, then dashing away from him again so you dont get hit by his 3rd slam, afterwards u can get ~2 blasts off before he moves.

Additionally, Calvus’ Slam either goes into the grab or the trident throw barrage combo.

I made a guide that goes over all of Calvus’ moves, including their damage (most of them) and how to punish (Arcane Odyssey - Best King Calvus Guide - YouTube). Some info is wrong (Slam into trident throw guarantees a barrage, while a grab doesnt have any indicator apart from the slam)

If you have THE STORMCALLER , use it, spam mouse1 arrows and tank damage.