Knuz learns what a pen is (mostly)

I thought the same way but i applied anyway
everyone thinks their art is bad after looking at it for too long
it’s normal
don’t undervalue your art

6 Likes

yeah people tend to look at themself worse than they actually are, have confident

not too much tho or you’re gonna be a jerk

(tl;dr at the end because HOLY SHIT HOW DID I EVEN GET THIS REPLY THAT LONG)

i mean yeah.

undermining my own art is a habit i always try to avoid like the plague. if i’ve learned anything these past two years, it’s that lacking self-confidence will cause me to stagnate more than straight up, actual sickness.

when i say “my art is bad”, i don’t mean objectively. when i say “my art is bad”, i’m really just trying to say that i’m not satisfied with it yet. i want to improve it. i’ve never really believed wholeheartedly that i couldnt improve any further, because that’s just… kind of objectively false, i guess. idk :man_shrugging:

moreover (and i really fucking hope i don’t come off as pretentious saying this), being able to call myself an artist just really means a lot to me. i’ve been surrounded by many friends who are really good at drawing, and it means a lot to me to be able to see myself in the same sort of “ballpark” as they are, if that makes sense.

generally being able to express myself creatively is something i’ve dreamed of since 4th grade (despite not actually starting until october 2019 because funny adhd go brrr), and i think i’d feel a little bit fucking annoyed if it was just given to me like some kinda cheap medal made of macaroni and elmer’s glue instead of the golden, astronomical achievement i personally perceive it as.

… but i can recognize that those standards are probably a little bit ridiculous so i’ve been trying to hold myself to more realistic short-term goals in the meantime. step-by-step and all that. (which has been working incredibly well, actually! :])

tl;dr im not trying to undervalue my art im just unreasonably fucking motivated (and also the actual application standards are really low and dont interest me so im trying to earn it by my own standards to challenge myself because at this point i could kill god with my bare hands and none of you fuckers would be able to do jack shit about it fight me i will relinquish you)
NOW IM MOTIVATED

4 Likes

nice boots

There will never be a magical point where you’re completely satisfied with or confident in your art skills. “I’m going to wait until I get better to do this.” basically means the same thing as “I’m not planning on doing this.” In fact, this applies to basically all types of creation.

1 Like

godgodogod

yeah

yeah i guess

girls with swords>>>>

characters with swords in general>>>

Oh yeah and I forgot to comment on how freaking amazing your art is. You’re incredibly talented, keep at it.

1 Like

if anything i think at this point i really just wanna get to the point where i can actually have fun making it honestly bc my current* (as of ten seconds ago) method is so fucking grueling and archaic that its just stressful lol

here’s the sketch process that i literally just tried (the cool and new one)

And now here’s what I usually do. (tedious and painful and unfun and actually gives me a genuine real-life headache to do)

1 Like

update: holy fucking shit this is awesome. i legitimately cannot believe i didnt start doing this shit earlier. oh my god it feels SO MUCH better. god dammit. what the fuck. im losing my mind.

I CAN LIKE. DRAW. EXCEPT IT DOESN’T STRESS ME THE FUCK OUT TO DO AND MAKE MY HEAD HURT AFTER AN HOUR.

WHY AM I SO STUPID.

3 Likes

i forgot to take my adhd meds today (i cant draw without them) and its too late now so i think i will let today be my break :]

here are a few more sketches i made last night (at 3 in the morning)

ok later nerds

5 Likes

ok, break’s over. back to hell i go.

if it wasnt obvious at this point im trying to revise this character’s outfit rn because that weird ass harness thing she has in her current one is straight up fucking lethal to draw and i absolutely hate it

i think i made the arms too skinny

4 Likes

Round 2.

almost. wanted to redo the body first before i try to line out all the details; made the arms a bit thicker, thinned out the legs/hips a little and added some desperately needed C U R V A T U R E.

if anybody happens to spot any anatomical issues, point em out now, bc i am not making any fixes past this point.

… that said; that bed over there is looking very tempting right about now.

p.s. for the record; i don’t actually know how to draw hands and i never will. :]

DesignDoll is FUCKING AWESOME.

5 Likes

so it’s pretty hard to draw things when you don’t have a reference, i think that’s pretty obvious and goes for most artists

so i made one.

i literally just yoinked a 3d model as a base and whipped up some concept art for the character and now i’m attempting to use that as a reference instead of literally nothing

immediately the results are far more favorable and i am going to make a habit of this because i am blatantly lazy and also the type of person to trace hands apparently

okay thats all go away

4 Likes

such thicc

fun fact: this character uses kickboxing

that’s it. that is my only justification for this design choice (and the leg armor). right above the ol’ reliable “because i fucking felt like it”

the reason she has armor on her legs and none on her arms is because she doesn’t have any.

e

1 Like

im fungry

1 Like

confuz

… arms. she has no arms. they’re cybernetic prosthetics.

not really much reason to add more metal on the arms if they’re already made of metal and also forty fucking pounds each.

anyway, progress report! adding some rough color underneath the sketch just so i’m up to speed on everything and know what i’m doing.

also shortened the vest and tightened it with an extra buckle because i thought it looked cool. also also extended the leggings underneath the armor. because i thought it looked cool.

… a-alright

5 Likes