Light should win clashes against Shadow

Proposal

I have had a thought for quite a while. Magic’s and their clashes should try to be very similar to the real world. So I was thinking about clashes where this doesn’t apply, then I though about the shadow and light clash. In WoM, they are even. So they will cancel each other out. I would like to see shadow lose to light clash-wise.

Details/background on your proposal

It’s quite simple. Instead of shadow and light being balanced, light will win against shadow.
Shadow is (in the real world), the absence of light. Light, is that light that is absent in shadows. It only makes sense for light to beat shadow clash-wise. It’s like putting a light in a dark room, do you think the shadows will consume the light? No, the light removes the shadows.

Reason to add/change

WoM’s clash rates are usually identical to how they may work in real life. Take for example; Gold and Iron. Gold will beat Iron in WoM. Gold is heavier than Iron in real life.
Another example; Fire and Water. Water will beat Fire in WoM. Fire is extinguished by Water in real life.

Some counters to some questions (I will try my hardest to answer as many questions you may have in the comments, but just a note that I am smooth brain. I will not be able to make good arguments)

• What about PvP? Shadow is better than light in PvP!

So? PvP doesn’t matter here. Meta isn’t important, it’s the gameplay and fundamentals that really matter with these sorts of things.

• What if I don’t want in real life clashes in WoM / AO!

We have our opinions, my joyful friend. Just I feel it makes the gameplay seem more engaging and real if things work like they would in real life.

Thank you for reading until the end here! Feel free to post your thoughts in the comments, and leave a vote if you think it’s cool!

Sure, why not. I feel like this suggestion is a bit longer than it needs to be, but I think Light winning against shadow is a reasonable buff that makes logical sense.

I think I prefer the current clash rate of them being equal. It also makes the dynamic of Light and Dark more interesting and gives a sense of equal standings towards the two of that makes any sense. In stories, it is true that most of the time, the “good” side always wins, but in some stories, the “bad” side can win too. In all, I think the current clash rate of them being equal is a great idea. Plus, it looks cool.

I’d like to think that when Vetex made the clash rate of Shadow and Light, he didn’t think of the clash from a logical standpoint, but more of a clash that tells a story based off of the magics themselves.

8 Likes

i mean it makes sense
shadow or darkness in general is the absence of light
once light is added the darkness goes away

If anything, this might balance out the meta

Yeah but equinox

2 Likes

I don’t think this logic really applies for multiple reasons. First off, the way Shadow and Light work in World of Magic contradicts real life in a way that is embedded into the game rather than just a simple oversight. Shadow and Light react violently with each other, we see this with Equinox magic and just with the chosen effects for the clash. Shadow is supposed to be Light’s counterpart rather than the absence of it–even though this is how it is in real life–so it makes sense for them to tie if that is how they are designed.

Even if we were to disregard all this, it would be pretty hard to apply real life to this equation either way since we know Shadow is able to be produced in broad, open daylight besides being the absence of Light. Yeah you could argue it could be different with magic but I really don’t think this fits enough or is necessary enough to make magic an exception to this.

I don’t think this is necessary and I don’t really think this works when taking into account how the magics work and how they are designed to be opposing in nature.

9 Likes

Using that logic can’t you cover a lightbulb with a black piece of paper and claim shadow beat light. I don’t think magic shadow/light are actual photons/lack of photons?, I think it’s like what Fluect said.

It does make sense if you want to be realistic, but you gotta see light as some sort of embodiment of the “good” and shadow as the embodiment of the “bad”. That’s why they are made equal in clashes in my opinion, to show that they are two forces constantly against eachother but none of them wins.

…Also it would probably ruin the whole concept of equinox if light beats shadow. Like what, is equinox supposed to be 66% shadow 33% light to be “stable” or something? I thought the whole idea was to pitch in two magics that cancel eachother which make it explode.

What?

well there was light
but then you used the black piece of paper to create a shadow
and there is no more light
thus shadow has beat light

1 Like

Shadow isn’t beating light.
Black piece of paper is beating light.
If I stab someone, they were stabbed by the knife, not the shadow that the knife created.
I don’t know why I picked that analogy of all of the ones I could have used. It was the first thing that came to my head.

Idk bro when I think of a solar eclipse I think of Shadow + Light but technically it’s just a moon coming in front of the light thus making a shadow. Still means I’m gonna think of it as shadow beating light.

It depends on how you think of it. I think if it as the moon beating light by creating a shadow. Light beats shadow when you turn on a flashlight. Shadow can only replace light if another object blocks light, thus the other object is beating light, not shadow. Unless you can find a flashdark, in which case they are equal.

Sooo bring back paper? rest in peace paper

1 Like

Shadow is an absence of something so an object causing that absence is close enough, I’d consider it shadow winning but you can’t really measure the absence of something.

I don’t know, light and shadow is technically supposed to be a perfect balance, I think it should just stay as it is and neither of them win

1 Like

that’s where you are wrong… firstly light and shadow is like yin and yang… they are equal and when they clash, they make grey lighting called equinox which made by the absolute balance of them
@Level

No, cause no. Light now has positive synergies, extremely fast, with ok dmg. Shadow is fast, decent dmg, and no beneficial synergies.

Shadow magic outright creates shadows, it does not remove light to do so.
Besides, size plays a part in clash rating, so the bigger attack will consume the other.