Limited Likes, yucky (seriously why?)

Not sure if this is a WoM-specific thing, but limited likes is kinda stinky. I don’t feel like responding to everything when I could like it as a show of thanks. Plus, with the 20 character rule, what’s the point?

“Less than 20 characters? Why don’t you use the like button?”

Bruh I would if I had any left. There’s no point to it. Limited votes? Yeah, makes sense. Makes you choose what features to prioritize. Limited likes? Literally why? For what reason? Who does this benefit? Oh, you wanna say a quick thanks? 20 characters or your life! Maybe you should try the like button, except you have none you supportive loser. Get outta here with that. That’s disgusting. Gross.

9 Likes

I WAS ABOUT TO POST THIS YOU STOLE MY POST, I WAS HOVERING OVER THE POST BUTTON AND YOU STOLE IT FROM ME

AHAHAHAHAHAHA

honestly i think they just want to get activity up and to get people to post more, but the official ‘‘reason’’ is most likely something along the lines of you should only like things that deserve it /:

Maybe if they had likes per category/topic I’d be fine, but you’re given so few that I ultimately don’t use them that often.

This topic’s come up before - the reason we have a like limit is because users were liking every post they read for badges, and likes should be reserved for “stuff that is deserved a like”.

I can kinda see the logic behind it, since allowing users to like every single post would end up with like counts basically just being “how many times have you posted in active threads”? With no cap I guarantee every post in long threads like this would have at least 3 likes from people blanket-liking everyone who agrees with them - the “most liked” users on the forum would end up being the ones that consistently get into long, circular arguments and never back down.

That being said, I like fairly conservatively and on busy days I still hit my cap fairly consistently - and I’ve got a 1.5x multiplier from being a member.
It’d be nice if we got more likes (base of 10 per day?), or if they scaled to the day’s reading time. Like you said, maybe we’d get less shitty “this is good 20 CHARS 20 CHARS” posts if people didn’t run out of likes so fast.

1 Like

The 20 characters is to prevent spam idk thats what i think of it

limited likes ehhhh people dont really just give out likes i didnt even know there was a cap till someone posted about it in off topic. Not like you need them i mean sure 30 likes to other people and 30 received for level 3 trust but you need like 100 days you probably get 30 likes by then