Lost Spell Idea: Arcing Beam(s)

Lost Spell Idea: Arcing Beam(s)
effort 4.625 8 quality 4.5 8 reasonability 4.7 10

this wouldn’t be the same bc mages still have their regular moveset with no melee deadzone, whereas asol only had a single ability not including ult

also ao characters have what is essentially flash on a 1 second cooldown so in that context it wouldn’t be similar

Well yeah but having a minimum range on a spell isn’t a good idea since AO’s dbz style place heavy emphasis on positioning. If I use this Arcing Beam(?) when someone is Crashing towards me I’d expect it to atleast do something

I actually completely get what you mean, here.

Like I said, inspired by Phantom Dust with this Spell Idea, and the Laser family of Skills can suffer from the exact same issue you described.

Which is why, just like Onion said, you’d have more direct and close range abilities on hand to counterbalance.

that would be considered a “skill issue” and you shouldn’t be rewarded for using a long ranged spell against a close ranged target

Wouldn’t that just make this like, a worse placed explosion

Tbf when it said Arcing Beam I imagined it to be like, well, Beam but with a bit of arcing at the end

maybe- i guess?
i think the main idea is that you can target it thru walls but yeah rn idk how we’re supposed to move our cursor through a wall

we can’t zoom out enough to move our camera up and aim over a wall anyway

1 Like

This is basically the idea I’m going for here.

This iteration is fantastic. However the latter part of the attack seems to have homing property than just arcing alone

True enough, though for the sake of simplicity and the fact that AO doesn’t really have anything like it yet, I figured I’d remove the homing bit from the idea.

blasts over a certain amount also arc away from the centre, it’d just be the same thing

You can try to work with an already existing feature: Cone check. Perhaps the destination of the attack will be where the target is standing at the point of initiation, turning this spell into an option to pressure opponents out of cover.

That… Actually seems perfect for this.

Thank you all for the advice and feedback on the idea, it’s looking a lot more fleshed out than when I posted it, and it’s barely been an hour.

1 Like

:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

As in pertaining to :light_magic_var1:, not you.

Kek

I like this idea, id assume the requirement would be 90 or 100 so it’s accessible to as many as possible

Unique, interesting, and fun

1 Like

i am quite fond of this idea

1 Like