Lost Spell Idea: Arcing Beam(s)

Lost Spell Idea: Arcing Beam(s)
effort 4.625 8 quality 4.5 8 reasonability 4.7 10

(The mechanics for this is mostly inspired by my days playing Phantom Dust(great game, and it’s free on Xbox these days, go try it fr) and the Laser family of Optical skills.)

This is a pretty neat sort of spell that I never saw suggested: You fire it, it curves in an arc, able to go around walls and strike enemies hiding behind cover. Simple, yet effective, right?

When creating the spell, it’s pretty similar to Blast spells in terms of what all you can customize; number of projectiles, size, explosion size, allat jazz. But there’s a key difference in that the number of projectiles changes how arcing works. For instance, if you have it set for a single projectile, you can customize which direction it’ll arc when making the spell; over, under, to the left or right. With more than one though, it’s more restrictive. At two, one’ll arc left and the other will arc right. At three, you fire one over and two to the sides, and at four you cover all four arc directions.

(Thanks Zomergo and Dreamkeeper) Option 1 regarding range and aiming: Customizing the range the arc will cover. You can set it to go at short, medium or long ranges, depending on your playstyle and usual range you fight from. When aiming the spell, a UI or ‘ghost’ of the path the arc will take will show you where it will land, for more ease of use.

(Thanks Dreamkeeper again) Option 2 regarding range and aiming: Utilizing cone check in the direction the player’s cursor is aimed for targeting and range, that targets where the enemy is standing when the spell is fired.

Reason to add/change

This would be a solution to pressuring enemies out of cover, and would be especially useful for magics and builds that don’t have much size or destruction scaling(Light, for instance), as a way for them to bypass cover without having to outright just blow it up or the blast radius reaching through it.

omg thats a great idea
I was trying to get rid of this annoying lvl 300 navy admiral directly below me that made himself a cave in a cliff and I was on top of it that would have been very handy
would this be useable by hybrid builds?

1 Like

Yeah, considering the great but basic utility of the spell, it’d probably have a low requirement to learn,(or I think it would) so hybrids would prolly be able to use it.

yay (me as warlock)

this would go well with my “try and dodge this goober” loadout (its all attack size)

anyway do you like suggesting rare spells?

It’d probably have to be slower than a normal blast, since it sounds like it could just lock onto players? I might be stupid and misinterpreting it, though.

cuz I have some
um
Im not a suggestor and I tried getting someone to suggest them but they uh didnt

I’ve got another Topic I’m writing up as we speak.

nice

Good point, and not what I intended, no. I’ll put an answer to that in there right quick.

1 Like

hey hopelessweeb?
Id like it if someone could suggest my lost spells for me

sounds cool

1 Like

I don’t think this can be implemented with how aiming works.

Like how can you aim the spell to hit behind a cover when you need to hover your cursor over said cover - which makes the destination of the spell the cover itself, not what’s behind it?

I was thinking more of a set (but customizable) range, that would more than likely have a UI highlight showing where your shot(s) will hit when you fire.

:fire:
solid idea
useful and creative, yet not too outlandish or niche

1 Like

The Aurelion Sol syndrome

It’s a good idea on paper, not that useful in Arena PvP but I have biases for utility spells and creativity. It will probably need a change in how it functions for consistency sake.

1 Like

a slow moving low damage but large hitbox blast that goes thru walls could also serve the same purpose but be way more simple

I have thought about suggesting a Phasing projectile type, too.

From 3:33 to 4:49

Sorry to dump this whole 14mins analysis on you but I hope it can help somewhat in explaining that preset range with melee deadzone is probably the worst way one can design a ranged spell. The champion ended up getting his whole kit reworked >:(