Mercury's Novel: Part... 3.5? Filler! But not totally

I put it in the wrng category god damnit
oh well

Yyyyyooooooooooooooo

So! You know those little breaks in shows where they take a breather from the action for some lighthearted fun? What’s that? It’s called filler, and you hate it?

Well… that sucks! Filler time.

On the way to the Bronze Grasslands…

“Hey, snowball. What’s with the hood, huh? It ain’t cold out here. In fact, it’s blazin’ hot. So why are you dressed like a blizzard just hit town?” The self assured, now someone curious voice of Kirk spoke up as he bent down to get a better look at the person he was talking to. Dakota Shield, his teammate.

“O-Oh… it’s… nothing…” Dakota gave a sheepish grin, a bit of worry creeping into his voice. “It’s… just comfortable for me… I… I like it.” He pulled his hood a bit tighter over his head, not even aware that he was doing so. It was just a habit he had when he was worried or stressed.

“Ah, that’s a load of bull! Look, you’re pullin’ it over your head right now! C’monnnn… you’re hiding something. Hey, are ya’ bald under that thing?”

“Y-You can see my hair from the front…!” Dakota protested, his eyes shutting as he did so.

“Wow. Has anyone ever told you that you argue like a little kid? Hey, good for you. Some people like the cute, vulnerable and weak type. Maybe you’ll find someone yet, kiddo.” Kirk glanced up to the sky, almost as if he was expecting someone to get that little jab.

Huh.

“Aaaanyways, I’m wearin’ thin on patience. You’re gonna show me what’s under the hood or I’m gonna take it off ya’. Capice?”

“Wha… N-No…!” Dakota placed both his hands on his hood, gripping tight as he did so.

“Fiiiiiiveee…” Kirk began.

Dakota began to pick up his pace, attempting to close the gap between himself and the other member of the party.

“Fourthreetwoone.” Kirk sped through the last four numbers, making a mad dash for Dakota, who was too late to evade.

“Ah- h-hey!!” Dakota struggled to keep the hood on, very much displeased. Kirk, on the other hand, was laughing like a madman.

“Hey, this kid’s got some grip! Who knew, huh?”

“J-Jerome… make him stoooop! He’s gonna tear it off!” Dakota pleaded with who seemed to be the leader, a man with red hair who was leading the way.

“…Kirk, knock it off. What are you doing?” The stern voice spoke, gaining a sneer from Kirk.

“I’m trying to see what’s under this damn hood of his! But he’s got a grip of steel, man!” Kirk complained, continuing to tug at the poor hoodie. It’s a miracle it hasn’t torn yet.

“Get off. Or I’ll force you to.” Jerome pinched the bridge of his nose, taking a step towards the two."

“Fine, fine. Eesh. Make one little mistake and the goody two shoes comes right for my ass.” Kirk stepped back, dusting his hands off on his pant legs.

Dakota breathed a sigh of relief, securing his hood again. He dropped his hands, assuming the threat had been stopped. “T-Thanks, Jer-”

He didn’t get to finish.

Within a moment, Jerome’s own hand had pulled Dakota’s hood down. Revealing…

A long braid down the back, that reached to around the middle of his back.

Jerome’s mouth formed a small ‘o’ of surprise, while Kirk busted out laughing.

“AHAAAAA… YOU’VE GOTTA BE KIDDING. LITTLE DAKOTA’S GOT A BRAID??? THIS IS RICH!” Kirk could barely contain himself. “Man, kid. You would have been so popular back in Bell Village.”

Dakota’s face had flushed red as a tomato as soon as his hair had been exposed. There was a reason he kept it like that, of course. But… that’s some backstory stuff. Do we really divulge backstory information in filler…?

Maybe just a little.

Dakota, as you may have guessed, lived with an alcoholic of a father. He was never kind to Dakota, and would often hit him. Dakota was never allowed to get his hair trimmed or cared for, either. He was much too scared of sharp objects to try cutting it himself, so he instead decided to control it. After a lot of trial and error, he learned to braid it back. However… his father liked that even less, saying that ‘no son of his would be caught dead with his hair like that.’ And in comes the hood! With that and the scarf around his neck, all that was able to be seen was the tufty front of Dakota’s hair. To his drunkard father, that was good enough.

Back to the fun.

“W-Why…” Dakota muttered, tucking the braid to the side and out of view as best he could.

“I… was also curious.” Jerome, for once, seemed to be a bit in awe at what had been revealed. That… was what he was so afraid to share…? Maybe with Kirk around, it made sense. Of course, none of them knew of the backstory information so graciously shared with our readers.

Silently, Dakota put his hood back on, still a complete embarrassed mess. Jerome apologized quietly, and turned back to lead the group. An apology born out of interest for teamwork, mind you. He didn’t mean it all that sincerely.

Kirk continued to laugh it up. That was definitely going to be something he brought up often. Soon enough, though, even he stopped, and the three continued to walk in silence.

Up ahead, Jerome stopped, causing Dakota to bump into him.

“S-Sorry…” Dakota murmured, stepping back quickly. This earned a snicker from Kirk.

Jerome seemed to ignore it.

“We’re here.”

Real Story to be continued

plus picrew things that inspired the filler arc

Jerome

Dakota (braid man)

Kirk (little prick)

picrew used

thats all bye

2 Likes

I always liked that picrew, nice filler.

1 Like

dakota’s a babey

1 Like