Overanalyzing NPC Accessories and Hair

Information regarding various NPC types’ appearances. For reference, I have placed an image of the tailor screen below; this will be referred to later on a few times.

First off, boots and armor. Certain npcs wear these, specifically:
Wizards and Dark Wizards that are a high enough level that don’t spawn in a group will wear hunting boots. The requirement seems to be either lv 20 or 30.

Bandits, both outpost and regular, always wear leather boots. Higher level bandits (again, lv 20 or 30 that don’t spawn in groups) will also wear leather armor. Outpost bandits always wear leather armor of their faction’s color. Regular bandits’ can be various colors, but mainly burlap (default) or black.

Mercenaries and pirates always wear warrior boots.

Bounty hunters always wear hunting boots. Higher level ones wear hunting armor of various colors. I don’t know specifically which colors this includes.

The three types of hero and villain minibosses always wear one of the three armor sets: wizard, iron, or warrior. Warrior and wizard armor color always matches with their hats.

Next are accessories. Most npcs have these in one way or another.
Minibosses always wear a wizard hat, regardless of set. They also wear both a dull defense and power amulet despite what you may see (after some calculating I did involving miniboss equipment).

At level 20 or above, the following npcs are capable of wearing up to two items from the list of scarves, eyepatches, and a third accessory (which I will list with the npc), as long as the npc does not spawn in a group:
Wizards and dark wizards, with the third accessory being a corduroy hat (hides hair)
Bounty hunters, with the third item being a leather helm (hides hair)
Bandits, with apparently no third item? If anyone knows then tell me below.
Mercenaries and pirates, who don’t wear scarves, instead replacing them with tricorn hats (black or brown seem to be the only possible color).

There are actually quite a lot of possible colors for scarves, 8 or 9 in total. I can’t remember them all, but they include blue, cobalt, purple, yellow, and black, among others.

Travelling and wanted shops always wear a traveller’s backpack, which is pretty well known.

Bandanas come in three colors: Green, red, and black. This applies to both bandits and wanted shops.

Captains wear green capes as part of their outfits, though I don’t know if that counts.

Third up, some miscellaneous facts about npc outfits.
Civilians, wizards, dark wizards, travelling/wanted shops, and most other randomized npcs don’t seem to have a limit on their clothing selection for both their shirt and pants.
Bandits, on the other hand, can only wear the beige and brown variations of shirt 9.
Bounty hunters can wear any color of shirt 9, but no other shirt type.
Pirates and mercenaries can only wear shirts 9 and 4, without a color limitation.
Captains wear the white version of shirt 6 as their outfit.

Fourth, hair.
MC Scouts, Guards, and Soldiers always are bald, presumably to avoid clipping. Helmets and corduroy hats, as mentioned earlier also hide hair.
NPC hair colors seem to only range in the first two rows of colors, though they potentially may have hair colors 1 - 3 in the third row as well.
NPCs always only wear one hair, with their secondary slot going unused.

Hair distribution among npcs does not seem to be even, if you’ve seen enough npcs. Quite a few hairs aren’t used at all by npcs, but among the ones that are used, I’ll list them below in approximately how commonly I’ve seen them. Keep in mind this is more opinionated, but it gives a general depiction of how common certain hairs are on npcs.

I’ll divide the frequency at which a hair can be found into three categories: Common, uncommon, and rare. You can see for yourself in WoM if you wish to confirm accuracy or disagree. I will use the IDs to identify the hairs, you may use the tailor to check which hair is being mentioned. Any hair not listed is one I have never seen on an npc. The best sample to check npc hairs is just to look inside Ironport or Summer Hold at the civilians, due to there being quite a few civilians (between 15 - 25) living in the town, with maybe 5 - 10 being wandering, jobless civilians.

Common:
These hairs have a high likelihood of being found on random wild npcs around the map.
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 8, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 19, 20, 22, 23, 26, 28, 29, 31, 32, 34, 35, 36, 39, 40, 42, 44, 46(?), 54, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 64(?)
Uncommon:
These hairs can be found semi-frequently, though you won’t come across these all that often.
7, 20, 25, 27, 33, 37, 41, 43, 45, 47, 49, 51, 53
Rare:
You’ll barely ever see these hairs, and there aren’t too many in this category. My guess is that they may be limited based on some factor, such as the NPC’s culture or last name.
6, 18, 55

I’ve marked two hairs with a “?” because I can’t recall for certain if they’re used for npcs. They seem familiar, but I don’t know for certain that they’re used.

Facial hair requires more data to rank. It’s generally not as noticeable as hair, and much less frequent too.

Lastly, faces.
Faces are based off the personality of the npc for the most part, which I discussed in a previous post. Bandits and dark wizards will always have an angry face, however, regardless of personality, though they can both smile or frown.
For other npcs, they’ll have one of the four faces: smiling, bored, angry, or nervous, with their personality reflecting this.

Bonus:
If anyone could help me find this hair from the image below (hair 52) on the roblox catalog and link in below in the comments, that would be nice.

8 Likes

are you okay?

do you need some water?

I’m fine.
Spent somewhere around an hour writing this though.

Remember this:
I have almost 900 hours total by now, probably.
Unlike most people, I find no interest in fishing and hate PvP. So I spend most of my time actually playing the game.

1 Like

why did you do this

I mean, this is too detailed for another “WoM Trivia” type post
Just thought I’d share my knowledge of NPCs

Bro has read WoM’s terms and conditions

1 Like

Cool information as usual though

mf the wom encyclopedia

1 Like
2 Likes

Thanks, needed that.
I find it rather difficult to find hairs on the catalog sometimes, tried numerous times but couldn’t find it

Yeah, sometimes the hair being offsale makes searching it a misery

Ok now let’s see the 30000 npc pics you took

Here’s a selection of random photos of npcs.

2 Likes

I have plenty more if you want them for whatever reason

No way

NPCs are real

sorry for your loss or great job

2 Likes

bro has too much time

if you spent 900 hours not for :male_sign: fisting :male_sign: fish
then :open_mouth: :male_sign: AAAAAAAAAA :male_sign:
what did you do during those 900million hours?

i do too but i walk around and kill everything that breath, not this

impressive stuffs dude